BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Board-

Other than exhaust, (headers, tubi, Supersprint, etc.) what is the best "weigh";) to reduce weight for a daily driver? (other than losing a few lb's myself) I'm not talking about ripping out the interior, etc. just some practical ideas.

Thanks for the time!!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
kcdoyle said:
Morning Board-

Other than exhaust, (headers, tubi, Supersprint, etc.) what is the best "weigh";) to reduce weight for a daily driver? (other than losing a few lb's myself) I'm not talking about ripping out the interior, etc. just some practical ideas.

Thanks for the time!!
Light weight wheels and tires. As rotating weight, a significant reduction would have a multiplier effect on the actual weight of the vehicle. To a certain extent, lighter calipers and/or rotors also. Hey, take out the heavy spare tire too! :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Christ..if I could get rid of the "spare tire" I would!! Are there any aftermarket wheels that look like the stock ones?

gsfent said:
Light weight wheels and tires. As rotating weight, a significant reduction would have a multiplier effect on the actual weight of the vehicle. To a certain extent, lighter calipers and/or rotors also. Hey, take out the heavy spare tire too! :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
kcdoyle said:
Christ..if I could get rid of the "spare tire" I would!! Are there any aftermarket wheels that look like the stock ones?
Not aware of any that look like stock, but check with Tire Rack. And remember they are a board sponsor, so if you buy, use the board link. Also, Dinan wheels are very light, and very expensive.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Saving a few pounds off the rotating mass is most effective. The Dinan wheels are very light but there are others, though fitment will take expert advice to make sure there is no interference (so do go to TireRack for recommendations). IIRC, the stock wheels are something like 25 - 28 lbs. so there is room to save 3-5 lbs. w/o going to a really exotic wheel. Also consider the weight of the tires. Bridgestone S03s, for example, are a good 3-4 lbs. heavier than some others. Toyo T1-Ss are on the lighter side of spectrum. Exhaust is the next thing to save considerable weight on. You can save 30-40 lbs. but that's sprung, non-rotating mass, so the difference won't amount to much increase in performance, though the car will sound better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my opinion but having worked on a few track cars you need to decide weather you want to keep your car for what it is or if you are willing to sacrifice some creature comforts, namely sound deading and the electric seats.
Both of these are probably an easy way to loose a lot of weight.
Just a thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts