BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't you be talking 'bout my can Willis.

Oh, you said "cans" (plural). My bad, never mind. :tonquesmilie:
Mark's on one tonight.. :) What's your poison Mark? Red Wine? Vodka? Something else we can't mention? :tonquesmilie:

-b.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Mark's on one tonight.. :) What's your poison Mark? Red Wine? Vodka? Something else we can't mention? :tonquesmilie:

-b.
Nope, no booze tonight and I never do other stuff anyway. Just feeling like indulging my odd sense of humor I guess. Hey! It's Friday! Time to give the wife the eye (and hope for the best) and sleep late in the morning (which will be my birthday - but them I always sleep late on the weekends).

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nope, no booze tonight and I never do other stuff anyway. Just feeling like indulging my odd sense of humor I guess. Hey! It's Friday! Time to give the wife the eye (and hope for the best) and sleep late in the morning (which will be my birthday - but them I always sleep late on the weekends).

Cheers guys

-b.

Reactions: Mark Carson

·
Registered
579 Posts
Happy Birthday Mark!!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Happy B-day Mark...the big 30? :1:
I wish - 59 as of today. I don't even want to think about next yeargrrrrrrr

All good though. Just got back from a nice dinner with friends at a restaurant I have not been to for a few years.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Also the weights of wheels should be weighed with the tires being used as some tires and different widths will give a different width. I am sure whomever is running a wider wheel with a wide tire will end up weighing more or same as stock.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've been thinking about weight reduction lately, and even thought about selling it too. However my reasoning tells me That I would spend crap ton more money if I were to go out and buy a gt3 rs, and given the resale value of the car these days it would barely amount to the value of the s85 itself. The cars come to a crossing point where the parts are worth more than then the sum of its parts, and it's not worth selling at this point. Well, that's my justifying anyways.....I think I'm going to start modding with the intention of building what the csl should've been. I don't see why this car would be handicapped in anyway aside from the weight and engineers purposely tuning in understeer. The purpose would be to have a car that can be driven on the streets and have a blast on the track. I took it out in it's stock form and it was only fun on the straights

To start
recaro pole positions
Odyssey pc680 battery
Exhaust
Evolve alpha or s2 tune
Custom valved cks coil overs and swift springs(corner balancing)
Remove rear seats(not permanently)

Btw, you guys put so much emphasis on unsprung weight and the removal of it but there have been numerous test results that showed no improvement and sometimes even a loss of performance. It's supposed to work in theory...grassroots magazine article comes to mind, they used their miata and found the heaviest wheels and their lightest wheels(10+lbs difference) and recorded results. The heavier wheel had a slightly faster time on an autocross! They did this test 2x in a 10 yr timespan with the same results.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just ordered titanium wheel studs/nuts and that'll shave some weight off the drivetrain. I just made a post here somewhere and have to run but i'll add a link to that post later.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Hmmmm....

Btw, you guys put so much emphasis on unsprung weight and the removal of it but there have been numerous test results that showed no improvement and sometimes even a loss of performance. It's supposed to work in theory...grassroots magazine article comes to mind, they used their miata and found the heaviest wheels and their lightest wheels(10+lbs difference) and recorded results. The heavier wheel had a slightly faster time on an autocross! They did this test 2x in a 10 yr timespan with the same results.

If that is truly so, then why do race cars always seek to minimize wheel weight? And if a car becomes below a mandated minimum weight, the ballast applied is never to the wheels.

Simple physics tells you that lighter wheels/tires will pitter patter over the bumps better than those with more inertia. On the street that translates to a better ride also. This all does however assume that the springs and shocks are also matched to the lower unspring weight. Perhaps the "Miata effect" was from having lighter wheels but having overly stiff shocks/spring for that setup (shocks being the chief culprit I would think).

Interesting post, but I'm not sold (yet).

Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey mark,
I'm at a loss myself, but perhaps your reasoning makes the most sense. They weren't able to dial in the car for the weight loss, but that's still relevant to us. Because at a consumer level we aren't able to utilize the benefits either, yet we egg each other on to spend thousands more on products that have no benefit to us.

In my short(about 20 passes)experiment with drag racing between 2 wheels that had a weight difference of 10lbs each these were my results...
The heavier wheel consistently trapped 1.5mph faster in the 1/8th but was .1 seconds slower through 60' and through the 1/8. Seemed like the lightweight benefitted the launch but the heavier wheel helped through the rest? Nothing conclusive however I'm no longer emptying my pockets to buy the lightest wheels/ rotors on the market. In the handling department, there was a noticeable crispness to the turn in and mid turn bumps with the light weights, and the heavies actually had a delayed reaction to all the inputs but ultimately felt more stable and not so skid dish. Take my results with a huge grain of salt ;) I'm not a professional and I only have about 20 track days under my belt

·
Registered
296 Posts
Come to think of it my heavy wheels were .5" wider , which might account for the stability. Just too many variables

Reactions: whatheheck and USAF

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to reduce the weight of this car....other than MPG and absurd reliability issues (whatever... its the only real issue...

1. Vorsteiner hood...
2. Discard AC
3. Remove radio

are those reasonable options above...:biggrinbounce:
Idk if this is still active but if you're looking for more speed upgrade your diff fron the stock 3.61 to the 3.91 get 12%-15% increase in torque that's what I did

·
Registered
222 Posts

this is a pretty good deal! they have a 15% off for car batterys for july 4th.... and the extra weight compared to the voltfreaks is negligible considierng you'd have to add a few pounds of material just to make it fit.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts