BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to reduce the weight of this car....other than MPG and absurd reliability issues (whatever... its the only real issue...

1. Vorsteiner hood...
2. Discard AC
3. Remove radio

are those reasonable options above...:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lighter wheels, seats, exhaust, lighter suspension and brakes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Completely agree with Mark. Shed some weight off the unsprung mass first by looking at the wheels- good thread here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m6-e63-group-buy-sponsor-discussion-offerings/142395-wsto-wheel-weight-comparison.html if your looking aftermarket. The stock wheels are actually really good weights already, not the lightest in the world but still very good for OEM.

I don't think you'll save that much by removing the idrive unit, they don't weigh that much anyway. I think half the reason they leave these out on the lightweight BMW press cars, like CSL or new GTS is to push a story of purist design and complete driving experience like a race car. I used to have a CSL and they pretty much all have radios, and A/C, contrary to what all the stories say.

You can lose some substantial unsprung mass by also changing the brakes to aftermarket- brembo/stoptech etc, the stock calipers are heavier than there monoblock counterparts, and the 2 piece discs are much lighter than the OEM semi floating design.

After that your talking seat swap to Recaro fixed buckets - PPG/Pole Position or similar to save alot of weight, but then your in the realms of building a very focussed car. All depends how much you want to sacrifice in the journey of weight reduction!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
RECARO carbon seats, carbon doors.
The oem seats are very heavy.
I don't know the weight from the oem doors, but the weight from our carbon door is 2.5kg.
Put the clima control out.
There are a lot of things.
Carbon clutch, race wheels, brakes, susp., race battery.
We use for example plane alloy for our front and rear axle systems.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
RECARO carbon seats, carbon doors.
The oem seats are very heavy.
I don't know the weight from the oem doors, but the weight from our carbon door is 2.5kg.
Put the clima control out.
There are a lot of things.
Carbon clutch, race wheels, brakes, susp., race battery.
We use for example plane alloy for our front and rear axle systems.
Excellent advice.

You should also get rid of all the damping material and the heat shields.

·
Registered
550 Posts
and of course your own weight, as it would add to the "sprung" weight....LOL, no wonder why Jeremy Clarkson from Top gear keeps losing to Stig :1:
:1:

·
8,369 Posts
My weight reduction to date:

1) Stock exhaust = 52lbs.
Replaced with Tubi Rumore. 38 lbs
- 14 lbs.

2) Stock rims: 26 lbs each.
Replaced with BBS RGR at 21 lbs each.
-34 lbs.

3) I lost 6 lbs recently : )

As others have mentioned, leave the stereo alone as they dont weigh much.

You can also replace your battery with Voltphreaks Starter battery.
Stock battery = 63 lbs.
Voltphreaks Lithium battery = 7 lbs.
That alone is a whopping 56 lbs!

NOTE:
These are STARTER batteries. Their capacity is only good for starting the car.
If you are like me that likes to listen to stereo or watch DVD's while waiting for the boss from home get done shopping at the mall - the Voltphreaks battery wont work for you as they will be out of power in about half an hour.
I know because I tried their battery on my M5 and had to return it.

Voltphreaks - Lightweight Battery Systems

Their most powerful battery for our V10 - click here:

Dan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Stock exhaust is roughly 120lbs?? At least for the M5 but 52? I must be in the dark.

Great numbers though.

My list, since its possible to have a comfortable car while losing weight:

1) Stock rims: ~29lbs.
21" Radenergie F01s ~26
- 12 lbs.

2) Stock seats: ~80lbs. each
Recaro Pole Position + Hardware: 30lbs. each
- 100 lbs.

3)Brembo Brakes Front
- 4 lbs

4) Carbon fiber hood
- 1 lb.

5) Stock exhaust: 120lbs.
Radenergie DTM Exhaust: 55lbs.
- 65 lbs.

Total: - 182 lbs.

Not bad for an M5..
but my car is still comfortable as I've driven it daily and done long trips. Unless you're a die hard about weight and just want to track the car do not rip out your AC and iDrive.

Hope this helps..
My weight reduction to date:

1) Stock exhaust = 52lbs.
Replaced with Tubi Rumore. 38 lbs
- 14 lbs.

2) Stock rims: 26 lbs each.
Replaced with BBS RGR at 21 lbs each.
-34 lbs.

3) I lost 6 lbs recently : )

As others have mentioned, leave the stereo alone as they dont weigh much.

You can also replace your battery with Voltphreaks Starter battery.
Stock battery = 63 lbs.
Voltphreaks Lithium battery = 7 lbs.
That alone is a whopping 56 lbs!

NOTE:
These are STARTER batteries. Their capacity is only good for starting the car.
If you are like me that likes to listen to stereo or watch DVD's while waiting for the boss from home get done shopping at the mall - the Voltphreaks battery wont work for you as they will be out of power in about half an hour.
I know because I tried their battery on my M5 and had to return it.

Voltphreaks - Lightweight Battery Systems

Their most powerful battery for our V10 - click here:

Dan

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you might want to consider carbon CSL trunk too.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The weight difference is minimal for the hood&trunk. Get lighter wheels and full exhaust and keep it that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
According to "Road & Track" the BMW M6 weighs 3770 Lbs, and the BMW M3 E92 weighs 3650 Lbs:
BMW M6: http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/download/59506/1604573/version/4/file/CT_2006-BMW-M5-vs-M6_data.pdf
BMW M3: http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/download/66923/1718941/version/4/file/RT_2008-BMW-M3-Coupe_data.pdf

Turner has a E92 M3 race car in the GS class for Grand-AM:
Turner Motorsport | BMW Performance Parts, OEM BMW Parts & BMW Accessories
Turner was able to get the weight on the E92 M3 down to 3300 LBS (Grand-AM regulation weight). This is a 350 LBS reduction from mostly gutting the interior + replacing a few components (wheels, brakes, exhaust, cat-delete).

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My advice....buy something besides an M6 lol.

I like the M6 for what it is...a nice GT car with luxuries. If you are removing the A/C and things like that you might as well go buy a ZR1 or ACR Viper.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

I like the M6 for what it is...a nice GT car with luxuries. If you are removing the A/C and things like that you might as well go buy a ZR1 or ACR Viper.
I agree, the M6 is a GT so deal with it or get something else. And yeah, exhaust and wheels are the easiest way to lose 80 lbs.

I would like to reduce the curb weight of my M6 by 20 lbs but I'm having a hard time losing the weight :cheers:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Stock exhaust is roughly 120lbs?? At least for the M5 but 52? I must be in the dark.
Cans only.. I think 120 lbs. for stock if you're considering the full system.

-b.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

Yup -- do the easy weight savings (wheels, exhaust and maybe brakes) and then if you're still not happy, do it the American way: Just add a s-load more power. :grinyes:

-b.

Reactions: USAF and whatheheck

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yup -- do the easy weight savings (wheels, exhaust and maybe brakes) and then if you're still not happy, do it the American way: Just add a s-load more power. :grinyes:

-b.

Ha ha ha - yeah that is BMW's unofficial mantra these days "We can't reduce weight, so we just add horsepower to compensate".

Thinking back to my first new car (1973 Dodge Duster - no, not a "Demon", they started using the Plymouth name "Duster" for Dodges in 1973), it was over 3000 lbs, and had 140 hp, rotten brakes, steering and handling by even the standards of the day. But it was only a few grand (maybe $3K).

Now my M6 is 10 to 20% heavier yet handles way better and is much safer to drive, even with 4 times the power. And the bottom line is they both use the SAME AMOUNT OF GAS. Yeah, I got mid-teens around town and I was very lucky to get 20 mpg at 55 mph on a road trip with the Dodge 225 "Slant 6".

Now if they only cost the same (in adjusted dollars).....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts