BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just another topic I was wondering about.....

Erebuni Corp do a Carbon fibre hood retailing from their US website at 540usd
Here in Sweden it costs 9000kr.
Weight saving is about 11kg (23-12kg).

Volland Racing do the doors for 300€ a piece.
Does anyone know the weight of the OEM doors or even the Volland carbon fibre doors? (Finn D?)

I know the doors on the standard car are quite heavy, but is due to the motors for the electric windows or is it just the heaviness of the door frame itself?

I have started going to the gym, and plan to loose 20-25kgs before next summer, have lost two kg in two weeks, so I might not be over optimistic.

Anyway the next issue is fit, can these carbon fibre items be made to fit just like the OEM parts? Will all the panels for example on the door for the interior fit back on? To get a good weight reduction - should I go back to manually winding the windows?

How does the hinge mechanism work on the carbon fibre hood? Finn mentioned needing pins for his Danish Touring Saloon rules, this would not apply to Road use. So can the hood be made to look like its OEM?

The prices are not the problem here - its the fitting and looks, which have me thinking. Any input - even if its "dont bother - leave it alone" will be appreciated.

Just imagine - a lightened M5 .....an M5 CSL?!?!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Just imagine - a lightened M5 .....an M5 CSL?!?![/QUOTE]

Yes
A lighter M5
I think they called it the Winlkehock & that was no where near as popular as the fatboy Cecotto back then.
Carbon panels can fit very well.
Mostly, alas they do not. Thats not their primary function.
Light & strong is what they do best.
I have some experience working with Carbon fibre. The curing process within the Autoclave is where it can go astray. The panels can distort & hoods in particular are prone to this.
They also tizz & vibrate more.

My main concern with the E34 is hood fit. The fitting of a new O/E hood is a bi*ch to line up with the wings plus all the bits that attach to them.
I would not entertain it unless it was dedicated track barge.

Why spend loads of money making the car something it was never meant to be & make it noisier & less refined to boot.
Its still an executive saloon.

My 2p & worth a lot less then that.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep - I was wondering the same thing - I am not willing to risk buying somethin that doesn't fit 100% like the original, yes ok if it were a race car I would not hesitate.

But walking round the Beast this morning, I couldn't help but admire its superb lines, and wondering wether it was worth risking badly fitting panels that could perhaps warp from some of the engine bay heat. The answer was no.

Its a credit to these cars - I have thought about changing lots of stuff performance wise, but the only real change I have actually done is the exhaust and the camshafts.

Cosmitcs wise - I have never thought about changing anything -except the wheels - again all credit to the designers and engineers for a timeless piece.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
again all credit to the designers and engineers for a timeless piece.
indeed, indeed. such a beast, it scares me the thought of not being able to drive an e34 m5 for the rest of my life. perhaps i'll keep mine going for a while but can't see it lasting 20+ years with the usage it gets!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Jahangeer said:
Does anyone know the weight of the OEM doors or even the Volland carbon fibre doors? (Finn D?)
14kg vs 4kg.

If you worry about cosmetics, dont get the doors, you will never get them to look exactly like the original ones.
(they are only intended for race use).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Donati said:
14kg vs 4kg.

If you worry about cosmetics, dont get the doors, you will never get them to look exactly like the original ones.
(they are only intended for race use).
--------------

Yes I thought as much, thanks for the weight info - good luck with the car Finn.

·
Registered
206 Posts
matter of fact, an M5 SSL (sedan sport lightweight):thumbsup: . CSL stands for coupe sport lightweight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Weight is the killer.

You save 12kg on the supersprint exhaust over standard and I have a smaller battery saving another few kg.

I did wonder what else I could do without, without ending up with a stripped out shed and reckoned the huge windscreen washer tank and headlamp cleaning system, and any heavy ICE stuff could go, then there's the spare wheel and jack and tools if you're never far from home.

I don't like the seats either so if you were going for any carbon fibre I'd put two of those in the front - that probably will take 40kg off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Jahangeer said:
Hi all

Just another topic I was wondering about.....

Erebuni Corp do a Carbon fibre hood retailing from their US website at 540usd
Here in Sweden it costs 9000kr.
Weight saving is about 11kg (23-12kg).

Volland Racing do the doors for 300€ a piece.

I know the doors on the standard car are quite heavy, but is due to the motors for the electric windows or is it just the heaviness of the door frame itself?

I have started going to the gym, and plan to loose 20-25kgs before next summer, have lost two kg in two weeks, so I might not be over optimistic.

Anyway the next issue is fit, can these carbon fibre items be made to fit just like the OEM parts? Will all the panels for example on the door for the interior fit back on? To get a good weight reduction - should I go back to manually winding the windows?

How does the hinge mechanism work on the carbon fibre hood? Finn mentioned needing pins for his Danish Touring Saloon rules, this would not apply to Road use. So can the hood be made to look like its OEM?

The prices are not the problem here - its the fitting and looks, which have me thinking. Any input - even if its "dont bother - leave it alone" will be appreciated.

Just imagine - a lightened M5 .....an M5 CSL?!?!
I think you need to first tell us why you want to do this? Is this a car you want strictly on the track?
If so, of course you'll want those doors that dont quite fit, and the hood, and to strip your window motors, seats and interior.
If not, dont bother, why degrade the value of your car, and alter it in ways that will make it cheap or flimsy. BMW did a great job on making our M5's and Im just trying to take mine that I just bought and get it mostly back to the way they made it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have gathered that the parts are for race purposes. If I had a spare E34 M5 at hand ....maybe, but anyway it was just a thought.

I willl have to live with the saving of a lighter battery, Supersprint exhaust & no spare. With my new gy mregime, I should shed another 10-20kg too (I have alot to loose). :hihi:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You stick in a different 6. To get more power. I basicly would like the car lighter etc but then how far do you go, as you could buy a caterham or a E30 M3. More torque is what I would be happy with.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
We could always club together and find the Presses which were used to do the panels and then get some Ally sheeting and get to work.

The other thing is there is so much sound deading... Uber Saloon is cool...

·
Registered
132 Posts
carbon fiber hood, metallic or aftermarket cats.(if you don't already have them), get rid of the resonator, lighter muffler, less sound deadening in the car, better gears in the diff.(in my case, 4.10) and a nice plastic or aluminum tank or fuel cell in the trunk to replace the million pound stock steel tank...........the cheapest route to go while still keeping your vehicle stock feeling and looking - unless you get the cell in which case the trunk might look a little different....... :haha2: Good luck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M5sedan said:
carbon fiber hood, metallic or aftermarket cats.(if you don't already have them), get rid of the resonator, lighter muffler, less sound deadening in the car, better gears in the diff.(in my case, 4.10) and a nice plastic or aluminum tank or fuel cell in the trunk to replace the million pound stock steel tank...........the cheapest route to go while still keeping your vehicle stock feeling and looking - unless you get the cell in which case the trunk might look a little different....... :haha2: Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the comments about our 'quick' exec. saloons, which was how they were designed & engineered.

Just enjoy the privilege of our E34 M5's and if you realy want GRUNT, Noise and basic lighter weight, get a E30 M3 - which has propper racing herritage.

Don't sell the E34 M5, just channel all your mortgage into a E30 M3 --like I'm doing and enjoy every moment.

Equals the best of both --cause you have BOTH.

my few cents worth.

'M' :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts