BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Could someone tell me the exact weight of the front and back wheels without the rubber. Would appreciate your help.

Reason - swap to BBS RGR 18 or 19's dependant on the weight saving over the current set. After having put the E39 M5 (original) wheels on - I cant help thinking they feel a bit heavy - in my opinion they look fantastic, and I can understand why its such a popular copy. But would like the lighter BBS and the styling is timeless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated re the weight of front and back (rubberless).

oh and also - is there anyone unhappy with Bridgestone Potenzas S03 PP's? Are there better tires out there? I have used these since buying the car, but may change when/if I get the BBS.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have the PP S-03's and I am happy with them. I did a weekend BMW driving school at Willow Springs in April and they held up well, as I am still driving my 2001 M5 on them.

The main complaint I hear, is that the S-03's are heavy tires, so you might want to do some research on that. I wasn't overly concerned with the weight of my tires, so I did not heavily weigh that in my purchasing decision, although I did consider it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I cannot find a single person unhappy with S03's. Thanks for the input.

I really want to sort out the weight issue on my car - re the unsprung weight as I hear it can make a difference - maybe not so much on the E39 as it has bags of low down torque, but the flat six peaks higher up so it may make a larger difference. Hope someone can provide the weights.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My unscientific thinking for my wheels and tires went something like this:

Well, I know it is generally desirable to get as light as possible wheels and tires, but the M5 is a fairly hefty vehicle, and it probably wouldn't hurt to have some strong wheels and tires.

Granted, I have no idea if the extra weight attributable to the S-03's actually provides beneficial strength or additional structural support, or if my BBS LM's are less prone to bending than lighter wheels.

I'm sure the Board will let me know the errors of my thinking, and the benefits of unsprung weight on any vehicle, but hey, we're all able to rationalize, right?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Granted, I have no idea if the extra weight attributable to the S-03's actually provides beneficial strength or additional structural support, or if my BBS LM's are less prone to bending than lighter wheels.

I'm sure the Board will let me know the errors of my thinking, and the benefits of unsprung weight on any vehicle, but hey, we're all able to rationalize, right?[/QUOTE]
--------------
unfortunately we can but speculate without the absence of hard data. I believe I am perhaps rationalising in thinking the BBS's will give me an advantage in the bends (be they 18's or 19's), the advantage may be non-existent and I think curiosity may be the deciding factor here more than anything.
It would be good to know if anyone has weighed there S03's or any of their tires.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There is a detailed list of all currently available tires (and weights) floating out there somewhere, I'm sure someone on this Board knows where to find it. I think the 19 inch S-03's weighed something like 25 lbs., but I don't recall exactly. I remember they were heavier than a lot of other high performance street tires.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I went from stock M Contours on my 99 M3 to BBC RC's and I could not believe the difference - very noticeable improvement in "snappiness" from take off.

Jahangeer said:
Yep I cannot find a single person unhappy with S03's. Thanks for the input.

I really want to sort out the weight issue on my car - re the unsprung weight as I hear it can make a difference - maybe not so much on the E39 as it has bags of low down torque, but the flat six peaks higher up so it may make a larger difference. Hope someone can provide the weights.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sarends said:
I went from stock M Contours on my 99 M3 to BBC RC's and I could not believe the difference - very noticeable improvement in "snappiness" from take off.
--------------

Thanks sarends

I am leaning towards scrapping the 19s idea, and go for a straight swap from the "stock" 18's to the BBS 18's.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
BTW, that makes the difference between factory wheels and the BBS RGRs closer to 4-5 lbs, and NOT 7 lbs/corner...
Perhaps. In the original post, I believe I explained that I went from Dunlops 8080s (OEM wheels) to PS2s (on the RGRs). The PS2s might account for the extra weight saved.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have S-03's and have no complaints, although they are the only tires that I've had on my M5, so I don't have any comparative experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts