BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The e39 m5 are going for ridiculous price. Lets all be a monopoly, everyone post their cars for $30k+++.. Low miles, 25k< go for $80k++
we can all make our cars valuable and rare like the e39
theres not too many clean e60 m5 low miles around

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you're worried about losing out on a few grand when it comes time to sell maybe you shouldn't own a M5...

but I do like the idea haha.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If we all price fixed, suppliers may get wise and raise the prices even higher on all our parts! /s

Really though it would be nice if some stuff came down to at least their original prices when these cars were new.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Before prices start going up, the market needs to see capitulation and flush out all the crappy e6x in the market.

The good examples, with documentation, will have their day.

With that said, I've enjoyed the living daylights driving my m5 over the last 8 years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It'll turn the corner relatively quickly as many examples are getting to the range where people will have the money to buy them but not fix them when they break. However if demand will rise... That I'm not so sure about. Luckily the knowledge base for maintaining them has grown a lot in recent years but unfortunately up keep just in terms of constant troubleshooting is more than most people outside of the niche group of enthusiasts want to deal with. Hell we lose a fair number of relatively long time owners every year to frustration.

Broken engines seem to be a one way trips though so at least you know the number of running engines is constantly getting more exclusive so there you go. Take joy in that thought.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
the E39 is a special car it was marketed great and for it's time it was fast as hell. Top gear , Guy Richie ect made the car lusted after. Little boys or those in their late teens wanted the car as kids. I had an audi B5 S4 at the time and was part of an Audi crew one of our's dad had the E39 and we were all amazed by it and want to race it and/or ride in it. now we grew up with disposable income and bought them pushing up the value.

I love my E60 it's special to me, I'd pay anything to keep it running, **** I just paid 40 dollars for 2 crush washers because I'm an idiot. But the car wasn't really a hit sure the V10 is amazing but the Chris Bangled meme and iDrive killed it. No one was like OMG look an E60, I remember i was on the Connecticut Turnpike in my MZ3 in 2005ish and an E60 went buy driven by an old lady, I was like wow that looks cool didn't know they even came out wonder what it got,

As others said there is going to be a lot less of them really soon pushing up the value but it'll never have the allure of the E39. Throw in the fact that working on it requires a CS degree and a ASE certification , and BMW is totally screwing us over on part prices and it's just a hard sell.

Just being honest here and I love the E60.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The problem is people buy them and it breaks and they dont fix it so sell it for peanuts

I do think the e60 will have its days and be very valuable

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The problem is people buy them and it breaks and they dont fix it so sell it for peanuts

I do think the e60 will have its days and be very valuable
That’s exactly what needs to happen, before prices can start moving up. Capitulation.

Need to flush the market of all the “Ballers” on a “beer budget” out of the market that they either 1) lack the mechanical ability, or 2) lack the discretionary income to keep the cars it top form.

The Ballers can keep culling the herd, while I keep driving my m5s.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That’s exactly what needs to happen, before prices can start moving up. Capitulation.

Need to flush the market of all the “Ballers” on a “beer budget” out of the market that they either 1) lack the mechanical ability, or 2) lack the discretionary income to keep the cars it top form.

The Ballers can keep culling the herd, while I keep driving my m5s.
Every wrecked or parted out M5 breaks my heart though.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the E39 is a special car it was marketed great and for it's time it was fast as hell. Top gear , Guy Richie ect made the car lusted after. Little boys or those in their late teens wanted the car as kids. I had an audi B5 S4 at the time and was part of an Audi crew one of our's dad had the E39 and we were all amazed by it and want to race it and/or ride in it. now we grew up with disposable income and bought them pushing up the value.

I love my E60 it's special to me, I'd pay anything to keep it running, **** I just paid 40 dollars for 2 crush washers because I'm an idiot. But the car wasn't really a hit sure the V10 is amazing but the Chris Bangled meme and iDrive killed it. No one was like OMG look an E60, I remember i was on the Connecticut Turnpike in my MZ3 in 2005ish and an E60 went buy driven by an old lady, I was like wow that looks cool didn't know they even came out wonder what it got,

As others said there is going to be a lot less of them really soon pushing up the value but it'll never have the allure of the E39. Throw in the fact that working on it requires a CS degree and a ASE certification , and BMW is totally screwing us over on part prices and it's just a hard sell.

Just being honest here and I love the E60.

"I just paid 40 dollars for 2 crush washers because I'm an idiot..." ... And I paid $25 bucks for a friggin side vent sticker.. but my side vents are now sexy as hell... and they make the Beast go faster! (in my mind...and that is all that matters)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
"I just paid 40 dollars for 2 crush washers because I'm an idiot..." ... And I paid $25 bucks for a friggin side vent sticker.. but my side vents are now sexy as hell... and they make the Beast go faster! (in my mind...and that is all that matters)
This car loves to consume money and fuel, but shoots out smiles like a mofo ;)

Come to think about it may think it's a boat or a woman. My car has an identity crisis!

New badging is sexy though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
M5 is a special car i remember when i ordered the car new ...and waited 8 weeks.
And back then guys were paying 10 k over to get them.
This Chris Bangle design was a winner across the whole line up.
Now I wouldn’t even waste my money on any new BMW.
BMW lost there way ...all the cars are a bunch of turds.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No man

M5 is a special car i remember when i ordered the car new ...and waited 8 weeks.
And back then guys were paying 10 k over to get them.
This Chris Bangle design was a winner across the whole line up.
Now I wouldn’t even waste my money on any new BMW.
BMW lost there way ...all the cars are a bunch of turds.
The plain E60 with no spoilers and narrower rims looks downright homely. So, no, Bangle designs sucked initially and still suck. It's just that other manufacturers copied them (why?) and mainstreamed them so they do not look so bad by comparison anymore. I was watching the last episode of the grand tour and they had the 850iM next to an Aston and the Bentley and it by far the worse looking of the 3 and the Bentley is a lard *** of a car. The 850 was just sooooo busy, looked like optimus prime's bastard child with an X4.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Never getting rid of this beast.

Good!! Me too

Ive had mine almost 4 years
Its the only car i havent been bored off
What a long journey it has been, no real nasty suprises aside from limp mode twice (coils and ionic) and airbag warning
But other than that it’s actually been one of my more realiable cars

However i have spent probably $20k on maintaining it

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Good!! Me too

Ive had mine almost 4 years
Its the only car i havent been bored off
What a long journey it has been, no real nasty suprises aside from limp mode twice (coils and ionic) and airbag warning
But other than that it’s actually been one of my more realiable cars

However i have spent probably $20k on maintaining it
In 7 to 8 years, I’ve spent $46,000ish on maintenance to keep my e60 in top form. If I include my mods...well that number shoots up even more.

///M, the ///Most expensive letter in the alphabet!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Every month my wife threatens to log into the FCPEuro, ECS, GetBMWPArts, Summit racing and McMAsterCarr accounts and see what my totals are. I'm in denial of any numbers.
Funny ....makes me smile.
The dollars i spend on various car stuff.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts