BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Kind of, bu

Kind of, but not really. For example, this particular blog, which is mine, is missing all the pictures - fairly useless without it. I did manage to find the content, although I think it is interesting that the blog does not seem to be searchable. When I type in a blog title "Revision to Metra Wiring Harness" it should bring up my blog, but doesn't.

Doug
Unfortunately, I don't believe that all images (from blogs) survived the move. I am still doing some checking on this.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but before there was a notation on the thread title if you posted in that particular thread. Now I don't see anything?
Also it would be nice to have a "search this forum" feature instead of going through the BS of "search community". Y'all could learn alot from studying the format of this forum. Much easier on the eyes and a much more intuitive interface.

·
Administrator
105 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but before there was a notation on the thread title if you posted in that particular thread. Now I don't see anything?
Also it would be nice to have a "search this forum" feature instead of going through the BS of "search community". Y'all could learn alot from studying the format of this forum. Much easier on the eyes and a much more intuitive interface.
Have you checked out the new Advanced Search options?

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks to the admins for implementing changes to the forum and search feature to better serve our preferences based on our feedback.

There’s one thing that’s been bothering me though, the signature line limit. It’s only about 5 lines!

Currently the forum has a feature where if someone’s signature is long you have to press “Show full signature”.

Considering this feature, why not just allow 20-30 lines in our signatures? My current signature is grandfathered in from the previous vBulletin forum website layout, now I’m unable to update my signature with my new/changed mods without deleting everything and squeezing it all into a mere 5 lines.

There really isn’t any harm in allowing a longer signature like we used to be able to have. Especially because it doesn’t take up more page space unless a user clicks to “Show full signature”.

I’d much prefer to update and list all the mods done to my car rather than squeezing them all into a few lines, it looks a lot more neat as a list.

I know, I know, it’s a rather inconsequential complaint/request. I figured for that reason it may be something that can easily be fixed in a forum update. @administrator Can you update this feature please? 20-30 lines would be great, it would allow us to further personalize our individual signatures how we used to be able to in the good old vBulletin days ?

I would greatly appreciate this change, and I’m sure everyone else would as well! Especially considering since buying my current M5 I’ve changed and added a bunch of mods so my current signature’s mod list is totally inaccurate ?

·
Administrator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks to the admins for implementing changes to the forum and search feature to better serve our preferences based on our feedback.

There’s one thing that’s been bothering me though, the signature line limit. It’s only about 5 lines!

Currently the forum has a feature where if someone’s signature is long you have to press “Show full signature”.

Considering this feature, why not just allow 20-30 lines in our signatures? My current signature is grandfathered in from the previous vBulletin forum website layout, now I’m unable to update my signature with my new/changed mods without deleting everything and squeezing it all into a mere 5 lines.

There really isn’t any harm in allowing a longer signature like we used to be able to have. Especially because it doesn’t take up more page space unless a user clicks to “Show full signature”.

I’d much prefer to update and list all the mods done to my car rather than squeezing them all into a few lines, it looks a lot more neat as a list.

I know, I know, it’s a rather inconsequential complaint/request. I figured for that reason it may be something that can easily be fixed in a forum update. @administrator Can you update this feature please? 20-30 lines would be great, it would allow us to further personalize our individual signatures how we used to be able to in the good old vBulletin days ?

I would greatly appreciate this change, and I’m sure everyone else would as well! Especially considering since buying my current M5 I’ve changed and added a bunch of mods so my current signature’s mod list is totally inaccurate ?
@AVGVSTVS

I understand. Currently, that is the default setting for signatures for the first rollout of signature and we will be working on tweaking settings based upon user feedback and future rollouts.

However, as another option, you can "Showcase" your entire build here in more detail:

Jeff M

·
Administrator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
However many months later this new version of the forum still sucks-- and you can see it in the number of the posts on the forum.

Feels like M5board has been killed :(
What can we do to make it "suck" less for you?

-Gerrit

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What can we do to make it "suck" less for you?

-Gerrit
There are some things that just can’t be changed without going back to vBulletin.

However considering we’re stuck with this, I’d suggest small improvements like fixing the signature line limit.
That would be great considering it should be easy and quick to implement.

It’s the little things like that which make our forum experience slightly better. While we can never go back to vB, any small change you can implement based on feedback from the community will make us all at least a little happier :)

·
Administrator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
There are some things that just can’t be changed without going back to vBulletin.
However considering we’re stuck with this, I’d suggest small improvements like fixing the signature line limit.
That would be great considering it should be easy and quick to implement.
It’s the little things like that which make our forum experience slightly better. While we can never go back to vB, any small change you can implement based on feedback from the community will make us all at least a little happier :)
Everyone's collective constructive feedback is how we make upgrades. How many more lines are you needing? Is there other things that are pain points for you?
-Philip

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Everyone's collective constructive feedback is how we make upgrades. How many more lines are you needing? Is there other things that are pain points for you?
-Philip
I was thinking around 25-35 lines would be perfect.

Another thing I don’t like is it’s not easy to find all the threas made by a forum member on their profile anymore, we used to be able to see a full list of our threads and our posts, now we just see latest activity making it difficult to find posts that are older than a year.

I appreciate the changes you’ve been working on to help improve our individual forum experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
There needs to be a way to search within a specific thread (by user name and/or key words). There also still needs to be a buy/sell feedback system. The signature preview is annoying. Just show the first 3-4 lines instead of only half of the first line, or add a setting for this.

·
2,178 Posts
My personal opinion is I'm ok with the signatures hidden. Some signatures are quite long making scrolling a PITA. Agree a setting would be nice so each can set his own preference.

On another topic there's been a surge in scam reports where scammers PM users answering WTB threads. We should re-impose a minimum post count before enabling PM ability.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Also, there currently is no forum jump within (sub)forums. Only within threads. Really would like to see it added everywhere.

·
Administrator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I was thinking around 25-35 lines would be perfect.

Another thing I don’t like is it’s not easy to find all the threas made by a forum member on their profile anymore, we used to be able to see a full list of our threads and our posts, now we just see latest activity making it difficult to find posts that are older than a year.

I appreciate the changes you’ve been working on to help improve our individual forum experience.

Thanks
25-35 is a large range, both seeing that it is a 10 line difference, considering that is double the currently allocated 4 lines. 25 is also an almost 1,600% increase in the signature size. The limitations are currently there to minimize the effect load times and allow for a brief summary of information which you should be able to share otherwise on your profile. Do you feel like the profile is not as desirable place to load this. What information are you looking to express in 25 lines that can't be shared with the current methods? Just trying to understand the need requirement so I can best prioritize development here.

The Profile information is a tad bit of an indexing error we're working to resolve to help differentiate "discussions" created and "replies" made. Hope to have this resolved for you soon.

There needs to be a way to search within a specific thread (by user name and/or key words). There also still needs to be a buy/sell feedback system. The signature preview is annoying. Just show the first 3-4 lines instead of only half of the first line, or add a setting for this.
This has presented itself as a bit of an issue with the loading of multiple pages of information within a search, but we hope to work towards that function soon. If you wish to set the signature preview to be automatically loaded, you can set that in your profile.

My personal opinion is I'm ok with the signatures hidden. Some signatures are quite long making scrolling a PITA. Agree a setting would be nice so each can set his own preference.

On another topic there's been a surge in scam reports where scammers PM users answering WTB threads. We should re-impose a minimum post count before enabling PM ability.
Perhaps this feature is not obvious, but that preference setting is a thing:
Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

As for the Spam, we're working on improving our spam prevention tools. In the interim, please report any dubious posts you see so any site mod/admin can investigate it :)

Also, there currently is no forum jump within (sub)forums. Only within threads. Really would like to see it added everywhere.
Can you best explain what you mean by "Forum Jump" so I can build out that function with you.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can you best explain what you mean by "Forum Jump" so I can build out that function with you.

-Gerrit
This.

All of my suggestions also apply to LotusTalk. I assume since they are using the same software that everything is being applied to all sites.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
25-35 is a large range, both seeing that it is a 10 line difference, considering that is double the currently allocated 4 lines. 25 is also an almost 1,600% increase in the signature size. The limitations are currently there to minimize the effect load times and allow for a brief summary of information which you should be able to share otherwise on your profile. Do you feel like the profile is not as desirable place to load this. What information are you looking to express in 25 lines that can't be shared with the current methods? Just trying to understand the need requirement so I can best prioritize development here.

The Profile information is a tad bit of an indexing error we're working to resolve to help differentiate "discussions" created and "replies" made. Hope to have this resolved for you soon.
Thanks for your reply.

Initially I just wanted the signature to be more like how it used to be with vBulletin. We used to have a lot more than 4 lines to work with, and if I'm not mistaken it looks like we can't even add color anymore. See my current signature leftover from vB, I was able to get a little creative when it came to colors, I was able to personalize my signature.

Regarding putting info on the profile page as opposed to the signature, you do have a valid point, however the profile doesn't replace the signature and vice versa. Having been on various forums for almost 10 year I've gotten used to being able to list info about my car and any other relevant info in my signature. I like that we used to be able to get creative with our signatures and write more than just 4 lines. I liked the freedom we had to personalize our signatures.

The reason I prefer being able to list relevant car info in my signature as opposed to my profile is your signature is seen every time you write a post, rather than requiring people to click your profile to learn more info about a particular member and their car, I much prefer being able to write my car's info and a concise list of major mods in my signature with more detail in my profile.

It's also a good way to identify various forum members. We've all just gotten used to having some creative freedom with our signatures and now we don't anymore. I want to be able to write about my car, its mods, my previous cars, maybe a car related quote or something relevantly funny, anything really.

Our signatures on this and various other forums are just our way to personalize our forum presence. I know it seems rather benign but long time forum members enjoy being able to personalize our individual signatures which appear under all of our posts.

I do understand your point on wanting to minimize load times, but as long as we're not adding pictures, do 25 lines in a signature really cause a quantifiable decrease in load times? Considering it's all text, I highly doubt anybody would notice any difference, especially considering the "Show Full Signature" option when signatures are longer than a line and a half.

I just want some of that old creative freedom and personalization back. I know you'll never switch back to vBulletin, but any small change you make to help improve our forum experience means a lot and would make us all feel a little better about never being able to use the perfect forum layout again, vBulletin. It used to be packed with functionality and personalization, it was a joy to use. This new layout does add some nice features but the loss in functionality and personalization doesn't justify the switch in my opinion and I know others feel the same way.

But like I said, I know there's nothing we can say, no amount of complaints we can make that'll convince you guys to switch back. So all I ask is if you'd be willing to make small changes like this to make our forum experience more enjoyable, functional, and familiar it would go a long way in making us feel better about the switch.

If you can't add a way for use to change font color, can you at least increase the signature line limit to 30? That would give us some freedom to personalize our signatures to our liking, and would make our forum experience just a bit better.

·
Registered
410 Posts
How do you search for a word within a thread?
Can't do it. Can't search for a specific user's posts within a thread either. MAJOR flaw.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts