BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was just wondering what type of waxes/polishes you use on your Beasts? I use an assortment of Menzerna products and they last a long types and give my imola red a great shine. I find that meguires also makes a lot of good quality products, I use the ultimate detailer and the clay bar. I havent tried zymol yet because its very expensive. Im interested in hearing your opinions.
Will

·
Registered
524 Posts
I used Zymol carbon last weekend. Was impressed with the results, although i did find it quite hard work. Probably my fault because i didn't prep properly beforehand, next time i will hd cleanse first

·
Registered
841 Posts
p21s, ive heard good things of Menzerna, but have never tried it because of price.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sometimes I think the question needs to be "What is the best wax for me?" As an example, I am an infrequent waxer, and my cars live outside. Living outside means they get dirty quick and any "awesome shine" factor is a non-issue since it is covered with a fine layer of dirt pretty quickly. So, for ME, longevity of the wax is the highest priority, and everything else (shine, ease of application, cost, etc.) is probably a distant second. Don't get me wrong, if I can get good longevity at a reasonable price with ease of application, etc. I'm all for it, but it isn't number one for me. Most recently, I've used Collinite 845 for its "reputation" for longevity. I was not impressed with its ease of application or shine, but it seems to be decent in longevity (frankly, I think all waxes are overrated in that regard). I should probably switch to a sealant of some kind. Anyway, you might consider pointing out your desires in priority order...might allow the experts to help you better.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I haven't used a true wax for years...sealants give much more durability, arguably at the expense of "depth". Anyway, I'm a big Zaino fan. I cannot count how many products I have tried over the years, but none have stacked up in terms of durability and shine.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
In my opinion, the LEAST important question is 'What wax?"

It is ALL in the prep. You'll find a few good threads in the sticky FAQ on detailing/waxing/prep.

I use menzerna products for paint prep- a very mild abrasive when I need to cut microscratches or swirls, then polish for a mirro finish. I only use Zaino as top coats these days. M5, X5 and 996TT.

When you see a car that just 'pops', you can be sure it is because the underlying paint was flawless before they applied whatever it is on top....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i use dodo juice stuff(schampoo,waxes),poorboys (schampoo's, quick detailers,bugsquash,al perpose cleaners),,autobrite foamers,eimann fabrik schampoo's,menzerna and poorboys cut and polisching products. and my latest revelation is nanolex products. these are fantastic. fairly expensive but instant satisfaction.
the nanolex shampoo is great, the wax and sealants are crazy good..they seal that good,that you need to clay the car when you want a new coating on.
dirt doesn't stick on the car anymore,and iff its dirty i just attack it with the pressure wascher and everything drips off in no time.water barely stays on the car when it rained..i can dry my full car with a half microfibre towel.
its amazing gear.

iff you can get your hands on them , try it and see for your self.

for the windows i use brilliant window cleaner and nanolex urban window sealant..dont use my wipers anymore, its that good.:D:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Went and detailed my car a couple of days ago at the girlfriend's house, so i didn't have my kit with me. Decided to see if I could get a decent shine with regular consumer products from my local o'reily's.

I bought:
Mothers clay bar kit
Meguiars ultimate compound
Meguiars nxt wax

Washed the car with dish detergent first.

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the results.

I was able to achieve results similar to using much more expensive products such as zymol or zaino.

My only concern is the wax- it's a little too light, leading me to question its longevity and protection capabilities. It's been only 2 days and it's still looking decent, but only time will tell.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've tried most of the well known waxes pre waxes pre polishes and techniques such as layering and as others have said the best results come from good preparation. The wax I am trying at the moment is Blau-weiss from Swissvax that is blended for BMW's and even if I'm just a sucker for a good website I'm very pleased with the results. The finish I now have is not just from the wax but includes machine polishing with Menzerna products and Swissvax cleaner fluid. I'm not saying that it's the only wax to use as there are lot's of variables and I have had great results with Dodo juice and Pinnicle and I think Dodo juice is as good as the top end waxes without the high cost. The light blue car has Swissvax and the dark blue has Meguires NXT Tech wax 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well, I guess I'll add another different one and I have used a bunch - Klasse All-In-One is the best that I have ever used. Just did the car yesterday - took 4 hours just to wash, dry and wax(very dirty)...wheels too:crying: - (I have never clayed my car or prepped it fwiw and imo, it looks great)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I typically clay with mequires quick detailer as the lubricant, then polish with 3m swirl remover for dark finishes, then I finish with mequires NXT. All done by hand. I recently discovered that Pledge furniture polish helps shine the headlight lenses quite well, although it does not last very long.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
S62,

There are so many different factors in your question :) But above all, let me state you one very important rule:

Its all in the preparation.

What I mean with this is that whatever the wax and sealant that you end up choosing, nothing beats a good well prepared and polished paint.

There are various nuances between products in terms of looks, so have a deep glow, some are more glassy in their reflections, some work better in dark colours, some work better in silver or light colours. What matters in the end, IMHO, is that you have a well taken care of basis and that you use the Wax/Sealant of your choice to protect the finish and give it a little touch to your liking.

If you are interested in protection, I am very happy with Wolf Chemicals Nano Sealant, that thing rocks in beading and sheeting. You can see my review here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=5373260

But I also enjoy to use Zymol Concours on my car, it leaves a very nice blingy finish on the car, as if a silvery/glassy layer wrapped all around it. Beading is superb, as with any Zymol wax, but the durability is just not there compared to the Nano Sealant (and durability matters for me during winter, where in the freezing temperatures, I need something against the salt, grime and non-washing while the tap outside is frozen).

Have fun trying some products, that is part of the fun of Detailing :D

Reactions: "S62"
1 - 13 of 13 Posts