BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I have known for a while I have a small leak leaving water in the passenger footwell, as it's my daily driver I didn't have time to inspect properly. Recently it seems to have gotten much worse, my glasses fog up when I enter in hot weather :) . And washing the car today left me with a soaking wet footwell.

After removing the glovebox etc and hosing the car down I've been able to locate the leak.

It's located where the ac lines etc. come into the car it seems there's a seal which has failed.

Has anyone experienced the same issue before and knows what's involved to fix this? Like what parts should and shouldn't I remove for access, should I order a new gasket or just use silicone, any tips are really apreciated.

Thanks,
Angelo

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Has anyone experienced the same issue before and knows what's involved to fix this? Like what parts should and shouldn't I remove for access, should I order a new gasket or just use silicone, any tips are really apreciated.
This is caused by the failure of the seal between the IHKA/IHKR unit and the bulkhead. The gasket itself is inexpensive, but replacing is a real bugger because you have to remove the entire IHKA/IHKR unit, which requires removing the entire dashboard, draining the coolant system and A/C gas as well. This is lots and lots of work.

I don't think that a adding a silicone coating accros the leak will help; this requires removal of the bulkhead panel and heater-fan assembly and even then you will never get access to the entire circumferance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Raymond, thank you for the advice so you're advice would be to remove the dash and tackle it from the inside, can I leave the the panel on the engine bay side alone then? Really not looking forward to this it seems like a hell of a job. My idea with the silicone was to use this instead of the foam gasket as these seem rather prone to failure, but then again silicone will be pig to remove.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
There's a spray you can buy for gutters that instantly seals. Bit if a cross application, but perhaps you could have a go with that before attempting a major disassembly job.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip any idea how it's called? Maybe I might be able to source something similar in Holland.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip, I searched for something in a spraycan but soon realised you can't really spray in that area so decide to try my luck with some silicone. I'll test this tommorw and see if my issue is solved. If this doesn't solve it I might just have to continue disassembly, and get the proper gasket.

Oh boy what have I gotten myself into.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dismanteled the entire dash to replace the gasket, just refitted to AC lines to the evaporator could someone tell me if this gap is normal?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to give you guys an update the entire operation took me about a week and a half as I decided to do some additional work on the interior/exterior of the car. Anyhow here are some pictures of the process. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
[/URL [URL=http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/Angelo1989x/media/IMG_1947_zps36c7d54b.jpg.html]]<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
All is back in place now functional and not leaking any more. Forgot to take some after pics.<o:p></o:p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts