BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 M5, I've had for about 3 months,

Last week we had several inches of rain in a couple of days. I found water in the floor behind the drivers seat. Everything above the floor was dry.

Anyone had this happen?

Any Ideas?

Gary :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oddly, I just had the same thing happen, but behind the passenger seat. I'm pretty certain all my windows were up, and all the seals are good.

Strange...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think this usually has to deal wiht a blocked water evacuation tunnel on the roof (along the side tunnels on the roof- little slits). They get block with pine needles and sometimes cause improiper drainage. Now, I am not actually sure how to go about cleaning them out, but I think that may be your problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hummm. I had the same thing on my rear passenger side too. My car is in a parking garage all day and in my garage at night. One day I had to leave all day in very heavy rain. Sure enough, I had to wring out the rear floor mat...it had that much water. I thought it was because the door was mis-aligned but maybe it's a something else. I'll have to check to see if there is a blockage. :confused2

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have had this problem for a long time (3 years), dealer has repaired the inner vapor seals on both doors as well as replacing the sunroof insert twice.. check under the rear doors and remove the plastic nickel size plugs, they are probably full of water too. good luck and keep us posted. I am beginning to wonder if these issue's are a manufacturing defect. If you do a search here you will find other posts about this issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have had this problem and repaired it myself, no cost but many hours or work. My problem was that the drain lines from the sunroof had come loose. You may have the same problem or have one cracked. There are 4 drain lines, one on each corner of the sunroof pan.

Here's a quick and easy test. Pull your back seat bottom out by pulling up hard on the front of the seat. If your drain lines are leaking, you will know it right away. . . the pan under the seat bottom and the seat foam will be soaking wet. You will swear at this point.

The water from the drain lines flows along the headliner to the backside of the "C" pillar covers (they are backed with plastic so won't look wet on the visible side!) and then flows behind the rear seat and under the seat bottom and settles in the pan. The water then overflows and gets onto the carpet.

If you have water under the seat and want to repair this, here's how: unscrew the "C" pillar lights and unhook the headliner from the rear window and remove the C pillar covers. Be careful not to pull down too hard on the headliner, it may fold. To look up under the headliner, position yourself so your head is on the rear shelf and shine a flashlight above the headliner. You will see the drain lines and about a 2" piece of flex tubing that may be cracked or have slipped loose. If so, get a new piece and/or push the tubing back on. It is held in place with a spring clamp.

Now you will have to completely dry out the seat bottom and carpet so mold will not grow. . .unhealthy to say the least. I propped up the carpet with pieces of wood and had the best luck with a hair dryer for several hours. The seat bottom will dry by itself inside, wring out as much water as you can and put a fan on it for a day or two. In my case, 3 out of the 4 drain line flex tubes were just slightly disconnected. (akin to the term slightly pregnant???) The headliner is a bear to put back on the rear window trim, take your time and rest your fingertips periodically.

Dry now for 8 months & no 12 step program ;)
Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Great insightful post Tom! Are we goign to see you this Saturday at the next meet in Amesbury?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the best board!!!!

The car is still under the BMW warranty, so I'll let them do the heavy lifting on the fix. At least now I can give them the most likely causes.

Thanks everyone!! :15:

Gary

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Interesting.

I had a problem with the drains from the front side of the sunroof. They run down the A pillar. The drain line had come disconnected, I guess - so water ran down the outside of the hose - where it landed on top of a nifty piece of electronics above the glovebox called the "lamp controller." The first symptom was that the light in the driver's visor - that is supposed to go on only when the mirror door is opened - was coming on all the time.

They replaced the visor AND the controller. They also screwed the guy who replaced my windshield, which had been replaced due to a rock strike, about 2 weeks earlier, blaming the leak on him.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have not yet had this problem with either of the E39s I have owned (knock wood), but I have had the problem with several European cars with sunroofs - most notably a MB. On the '80s cars, in addition to the rubber tubing failing, the steel tubes would eventually rust through - and then there's a mess. I don't have any more recent data. Another reason IMHO to avoid sunroofs, beyond the extra weight carried up high and the weaker roof structure.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
NEW THEORY!!!

I spoke to a service manager at a dealership far far away about the water problem. He said from his experience, the majority of the times he has seen water in the floorpan was due the failure of a weather seal inside the door. The other times were due to the sunroof drains.
He said he found a correlation between this water issue and the replacement of window regulators. Often times the seal inside the door doesn't get put back on properly after the regulator has been replaced. This got me thinking... I had just had the right rear regulator replaced...and water leaked in after the regulator was replaced. So he may have something here. Has anyone with water problems had their window regulator replaced???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boostmiser said:
NEW THEORY!!!

I spoke to a service manager at a dealership far far away about the water problem. He said from his experience, the majority of the times he has seen water in the floorpan was due the failure of a weather seal inside the door. The other times were due to the sunroof drains.
He said he found a correlation between this water issue and the replacement of window regulators. Often times the seal inside the door doesn't get put back on properly after the regulator has been replaced. This got me thinking... I had just had the right rear regulator replaced...and water leaked in after the regulator was replaced. So he may have something here. Has anyone with water problems had their window regulator replaced???
Talked to my dealer today and he said the same thing, most likely the door seal inside. Haven't had any window regulators replaced though.

I've got an appointment to have it repaired.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem with my 540i it turns out that the rear door seal cover that is behind the door panel had to be resealed. If you pry the door panel from the bottom and press the seal back against the door your problem is solved.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had my window regulator replaced and now water gets trapped between the door and door sill when I open the door water gushes out grrrrrrr

·
Registered
651 Posts
boostmiser said:
NEW THEORY!!!

I had mine replaced and have had water intrusion issue's since that time in the rear foot wells. The sunroof also let's water in to the front and apparently the rear also.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So it looks as if these tech's are not putting the seal back right when doing a regulator. grrrrrrr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts