BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm finally getting used to nice weather and being able to drive my M5 (only bought last November) - and sadly I've only washed it once so far.

Anyway, after the wash and a also few times driving it in the rain there's been water in the rear door sills. NOT in the footwells - those are dry, front and rear.

My old E36 M3 did the same thing, I got in the habit of opening the doors and drying the sills after a wash. It never had leaks to the interior or any other moisture-related issues so I'm hoping this is pretty normal for an M5 also, but I figured I'd ask. Input appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Have you checked the vapor barrier seals behind the door card?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
If you are getting some water on the sills them selves, you probably have a vapor barrier leak. Try wetting the window from outside for a bit, then open the door and note if you see water seeping from the door panel after a wetting.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
There are several DIY posts in the sticky above regarding repairing your vapor seal. Also, make sure the weep hole at the bottom the door is not clogged with debris.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen to me earlier this year. I didn't think it was the vapor barrier and a few weeks later I had wet carpets in the back. Had to lift them up to let it all dry out. OP should fix that ASAP before it becomes problematic. Cured the problem afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts