BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speed cops go on Gumball watch - from todays time www.thetimes.co.uk
They may see themselves as the world’s most glamorous racers, but drivers in the seventh annual Gumball Rally have been warned they risk prosecution as they begin their journey. More than 100 drivers of high-performance cars, including a sprinkling of celebrities, will roar away from Trafalgar Square on Saturday at the start of a 3,000-mile, six-day dash around Europe to the Monaco Grand Prix that’s been called a “Wacky Races for the super-rich”.

But Inspector Mick Gardner of Kent police has told his officers to be ready for the drivers as they charge to the Channel tunnel in the rally’s first leg. “If they’re on the public road they should expect to obey the same rules as every other road user. That means sticking to speed limits,” he said.

Last year’s drivers picked up around 500 speeding tickets and fines of up to £50,000 as police across Europe cracked down on competitors driving at up to 150mph.
Taking part this year in the rally that costs £10,000 for two to enter — including high-class accommodation for the week — are models Jodie Kidd and Sophie Anderton (above), American rapper 50 Cent and Bez from the band Happy Mondays (driving the Scooby-Doo van), as well as self-styled playboys who can afford to run cars such as Pagani Zondas, Ferraris and Lamborghinis – as well as pay the speeding fines. The rally takes its name from a 1971 race in which a Ferrari made it from New York to Los Angeles in under 36 hours, inspiring the 1976 film The Gumball Rally

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okey, belgium, austria, germany, and now england,... who's next???

"without the police it wouldn't be all the much fun, they make a challange" tho i think this is going too far,

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess it increases the adrinerline factor by a lot.

But regarding Police in England, you might as well floor it once you are out of London, its not far from London to Dover, you can go very fast down to Dover, experienced it a few times my self.

I would not be too worried about Police in the UK, you will be maybe 2 or a maximum of 3 hours in the UK on the entire Gumball (Once it is started), dont forget that...

·
Registered
329 Posts
well i cant understand the police point of view. the driving behaviour is risky and dangerous, and they are here to make our lifes safer.

Of course a bit of police is fun, and maybe marocca last year was too easy, but too much police spoils the fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suppose police forces in the other countries the Gumball is travelling through will be informed as well.

So drivers and co-pilots will have to watch out all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts