BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all E39 M5 enthusiast

I have usaly been on the E34 M5 forum becourse i have one, but now i have got at great deal on a E39 M5, so i was hoping you might give me som advice on what to expect positive and negative, since i am dealing in a perfect example of the E34 M5 (know what i have).

The E39 M5 is a 99, yes with everything on the equipment list i think, i havent been able to find any who can say anything negative about this car or anything to be aware of, except for clutch, not that it is bad but if you dont use it right your very likely to burn it becourse of the high NM, but thats not realy a problem. So what can you say that i need to look after or hear ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi.
Having one of each (E34 & E39) I would suggest that you don't expect too much of the E39. IMHO the E34 is more of the driver's car. The E39 is so sophisticated that it feels somewhat boring compared to the E34. The E39 out-performs the E34 in acceleration and lateral g-force, but the E34 is more fun to drive. However, driving the E39 for 996 km in one day without even being tired is also a sign of quality. Getting confused, it is... :haha:

I also find that the build quality of my E39 (2001 model) is quite poor.
Have had new Vanos valves fitted. The electrical settings will not stay in place, the telephone (BMW cordless model) has been changed twice but the problem remains. The telephone ariel fell off and I had to buy a new microphone to the handsfree set. There has been a few more minor errors/problems with the car over the 1½ years I have had it:grrrrr:

The luggage compartment is smaller that the E34 and there is no 6 cylinder engine sound. The V8 sound is, in my opinion not the same thrill as the straigh six.

Check the gearbox thoroughly. On mine, the third gear is quite "notchy" and I can feel the gearteeth as I engage it. I told the mechanic about it and he told me that I should expect to have a "harder gearbox" on such a performance car compared to the one I usually drive. He was not aware the my other car is a E34 M5. :M5rev:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes confused, the E34 M5 has been my baby and is fantastic, i´m sure this will be to, but you haven´t had any big problems with the E39 ?

i have heard that the electric system has some issues but the drive line shoot be somthing els, quality and performance.

ilundber said:
Hi.
Having one of each (E34 & E39) I would suggest that you don't expect too much of the E39. IMHO the E34 is more of the driver's car. The E39 is so sophisticated that it feels somewhat boring compared to the E34. The E39 out-performs the E34 in acceleration and lateral g-force, but the E34 is more fun to drive. However, driving the E39 for 996 km in one day without even being tired is also a sign of quality. Getting confused, it is... :haha:

I also find that the build quality of my E39 (2001 model) is quite poor.
Have had new Vanos valves fitted. The electrical settings will not stay in place, the telephone (BMW cordless model) has been changed twice but the problem remains. The telephone ariel fell off and I had to buy a new microphone to the handsfree set. There has been a few more minor errors/problems with the car over the 1½ years I have had it:grrrrr:

The luggage compartment is smaller that the E34 and there is no 6 cylinder engine sound. The V8 sound is, in my opinion not the same thrill as the straigh six.

Check the gearbox thoroughly. On mine, the third gear is quite "notchy" and I can feel the gearteeth as I engage it. I told the mechanic about it and he told me that I should expect to have a "harder gearbox" on such a performance car compared to the one I usually drive. He was not aware the my other car is a E34 M5. :M5rev:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had to have the magnetic valve that controls the Vanos exchanged. That cost € 2000. That was a "simple" job with the Vanos. Read more about Vanos problems on this site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts