BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took washing my beloved bimmer to the extreme!! Not satisfied with washing just the exterior I took to leaving my M key with much treasured M key fob in my jean pocket.

Was only after frantically running around the house like a headless chicken trying to locate my key, I heard a very disturbing noise eminating from the washing machine. :eek:h: OH MY GOD - my key was inside and VERY WET.

After a much deserved drying out period on the radiator I decided to see if the key would actually still function. HURRAY - only BMW could have a key go through a washing machine cycle and still function ok. :biggrin: (It did get the dirt out of the little grooves though around the buttons and now the key is sparkling like my exterior!!!).

Anybody else do something similar?

Dont try this as an experiment!:nono:

·
Registered
262 Posts
think it's waterproof but i'd dare not try it. :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
WOAH! jeez mate! that is extreme washing! :nono: it costs around £80 for a new key from the dealer :eek:

Good to hear its tried n tested! do you know if it makes a difference if the washing power is biological or non-bio? :D
:M5thumbs:
Tin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Twice it happened to me. My son (3 years old) had the key in his pocket and my wife put his shorts into the machine. The same key twice and still works perfectly!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did the same, the second day I got my car (about 2 months ago). Key worked just fine as well!

This may be a bit off topic, but can I switch my 99 key for an updated '02 (I think) key style? I nedd to get a new key from the dealer, just wondering if it can be done, before I go see them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
I did the same, the second day I got my car (about 2 months ago). Key worked just fine as well!

This may be a bit off topic, but can I switch my 99 key for an updated '02 (I think) key style? I nedd to get a new key from the dealer, just wondering if it can be done, before I go see them?

Thanks!
Is there a new key after 02 for the M5? What does it look like - I thought the beast keys remained the same.

-- Was!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
ttboyvanc said:

Thanks!
No, fairly sure you can't do this, as the new keystyle (MY2001+) has a builtin rechargable battery...which is automatically charged when in the inginition barrel.. so would involve changing the locks/barrel if you wanted to get the new version.

Has the same number of buttons though, same hold down lock/unlock to lower/raise the windows/sunroof etc, memory seats can be keyed for different keys via the dealer etc.. BTW a new key is approx £80 in the UK.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tin... key was washed with biological but am unsure of how it would survive with non-bio

somebody care to do the test..could be new one for Top Gear!

Glad Im not the only one that washes keys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts