BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 M5. My washer fluid pump looks like it's dead. Can someone point me to DYI fix and is this something that can be done without jacking car? Any special tools needed?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The bottle is behind the front right wheel. You'll have to pull back the inner wheel arch liner, so removing the wheel would make it much easier. Don't forget to get a new grommet / strainer with the pump. Mine finally died too, need to replace it. Been using the intensive cleaner one for now.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you live in a hot climate and the car has done too for most of it's life there's a good chance the wheel arch liner plastic has become brittle and will crumble when you move it. Both my 540i and my 2002 M5 had this happen.

Good news is the pump is very cheap. item #3 in the list:

2002 BMW M5 Base Sedan - Wipers and Washers - Page 2

M5TX you've got PM as to not go OT on this thread.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you live in a hot climate and the car has done too for most of it's life there's a good chance the wheel arch liner plastic has become brittle and will crumble when you move it. Both my 540i and my 2002 M5 had this happen.

Good news is the pump is very cheap. item #3 in the list:

2002 BMW M5 Base Sedan - Wipers and Washers - Page 2

M5TX you've got PM as to not go OT on this thread.
It's going OT, only got 42 posts:S. Don't know why I used arch instead of well, it's just what popped in my head, ha ha.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
OK LOL. Just wondered if there was another local M5 owner from overseas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
**Bump**

I'm having windshield washer troubles, too. Right now I get nothing when pulling the stalk back. However, when I push the S button for intensive, I get a good fluid spray on the windshield, and it comes from the smaller tank and doesn't last more than 5 or so sprays. It used to spray the headlights as of a few months ago, but doesn't anymore.

I understand that the intensive wash has a separate tank, pump, and plumbing to the windshield nozzles, and that all seems to be working for me. But why are there two pumps on the main reservoir? I poked around and the smaller, inner one gets ~5V all the time when the ignition is on, and 12V when the stalk is pulled back. The larger, outer one gets no voltage when the stalk is pulled back.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,570 Posts
One pump for windshield and one for headlights. Check your fuse.

·
Registered
284 Posts
One pump for windshield and one for headlights. Check your fuse.
OK, I found a few more useful thread and do see that the smaller, inner pump is for the windshield, and the larger outer one is for the headlights. I thought the intensive pump fed both.
My next question is do the headlight washers only work when the headlights are on? This would answer the issue of no power to the larger pump, because the headlights were off when I tested. Last question is should the smaller windshield pump always be getting 5V? If that's OK, I should just need the small pump.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,570 Posts
The headlight washer is only activated when the lights are on and only every fifth time you activate the main or intensive pump.
Not sure about the 5 V reading but sounds reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts