BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Was the M3 DSC "ever" the same as our car's DSC operation?

5381 18
Hi Guys, Im aware that the new model M3 cars have the newer version of the DSC, which is better than our DSC but was the previous version DSC for the M3 the same as in the M5 sedan? The reason why Im asking this question is due to a conversation I had with the owner of a 2004 M3. he teold me that even when he turns off his DSC, it still is active in extreme situations. Example; he will turn off the DSC and then attempt to drive the hard hard & aggressively, but when doing so the DSC will kick in as he is trying to make a sharp or hard turn, he feels the DSC taking over? Is this the same for our cars? Why does his car do this if he did in fact push the DSC button off???
Any way he can "truly" turn off the DSC or is it impossible???
Thanks for the replies.
Robert
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
From what I know in the 3 series, if you press the DSC once and let go you turn off the engine cut off(you know what i mean) system but still keeps the auto braking on at low speeds. At high speeds the engine cut off system will still be in play, but might not be as evident. If you hold down DSC for a few seconds it will turn the braking component and the engine cut off on the DSC off, so in another words hold down DSC for a few seconds and you disable it all completely... hold on tight.

- Kin

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,611 Posts
this topic has been discussed before... do a search

hold down the DSC button for 10 seconds, and you will completely disable it. It won't be active again until you turn off the car and restart the engine

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
After holding down the DSC button for 10 seconds to "completely disable" is the dash light illuminated or not illuminated???

I only ask because I tried that with my MY00 and when first depressing the DSC button the dash light illuminates, and then after 10 seconds the light shuts off. After that I took some corners and actually felt the DSC still active and taking over to retard the wheel spin? Does the 10 second button hold apply to all model year M5's?

Thanks in advance:M5rev:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
After holding down the DSC button for 10 seconds to "completely disable" is the dash light illuminated or not illuminated???

I only ask because I tried that with my MY00 and when first depressing the DSC button the dash light illuminates, and then after 10 seconds the light shuts off. After that I took some corners and actually felt the DSC still active and taking over to retard the wheel spin? Does the 10 second button hold apply to all model year M5's?

I have a 330i ZHP and had a 2002 M5. The yellow triangle dash light illuminates after the DSC button is pressed for about 4 seconds or so signifying that the traction control is disabled. Track time has verified that all electronic "nannies" are disabled in this mode. Reviews on the new 3 series (E90) have indicated that this is true for that model as well.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, now there's a 4 to 10 second time span when holding down the DSC button, but which is it or should I say exactly how long does one have to hold the stupid button down before "ALL" the DSC features are truly shut off ??? Anyone know?
TIA. :confused2

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
FAST 5 said:
So, now there's a 4 to 10 second time span when holding down the DSC button, but which is it or should I say exactly how long does one have to hold the stupid button down before "ALL" the DSC features are truly shut off ??? Anyone know?
I don't think we'll ever know:confused:

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,611 Posts
FAST 5 said:
You can always test it yourself you know... ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
EvilTommy said:
When I had my 2003 330ci, you needed to press and hold down the DSC button until both the DSC light lit up on the dash aswell as the ABS light. After that, donuts all day.
Agreed, it's the same with my 330ci.
If you press the DSC button once, the DSC light will illuminate and ADB [Automatic Differential Brake] is activated, this is a form of posi-traction and is designed for use when stuck on snow or mud. This mode will turn of the engine control and allow the wheels to spin, but will electronically match the speed of both drive wheels, a bit like a passive diff-lock.

If you press and hold the DSC button for longer than 3 seconds, until both the DSC light and the yellow brake warning remain on permanently, then everthing is turned off.

To reset just press the button again, all lights should go out.

If you're finding that you can't turn it off completely Fast 5, contact your local BMW dealer, because there may be a fault.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Beamer_usa said:

M5s have a different DSC system then E46 M3s. I am not sure if depressing the DSC for 10 seconds disables everything. I know it does that in my M Coupe. Here is a chart of the different DSC configurations and the cars that it was installed in:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I just tested the DSC on my '03 M3 and if you press and hold the DSC button, the yellow light comes on and after about 12 seconds of holding it, it goes back out, re-engaging the DSC. From what I have noticed, when turning the DSC is off by simply pressing and releasing the button, DSC is totally off. I'm not sure what is meant by 'high speeds', but I've drifted the tail out around a 90 degree turn at about 20 mph.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
FAST 5 said:
So Dave...........
Are you saying one should simply press down the DSC button and them release it instaed of holding down for the 10-12 second time period, to completely shut off the DSC ???
TIA. kinggf
Yes. Holding it for 12 seconds simply turns the DSC back on.
From what I've experienced there are only 2 modes of DSC, on or off.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am pretty sure you old semi disable it by pressing it and letting go. Holding it down for a few more seconds disables more. See extract about Z4 DSC. I am sure I read it about e46 cars as well and maybe on e39...

*quote*

The Boxster's advantage in ultimate steering feel is easily made up by the Z4's superb Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system. This is a two-stage system that can be partially disabled by quickly hitting the button and enabling DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), which allows a certain amount of wheel spin at lower speeds. In this mode, DSC will still brake an individual wheel when it detects major spin potential, but it never cuts engine power and allows a certain amount of vehicle rotation. Think of it as the BMW version of the Corvette's "Competition Driving Mode." In both cases you can have some fun while also knowing the electric nanny is out there, waiting to save you before things get completely out of hand. (You can still disable it completely by holding the DSC button down.)

*unquote*

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=99257

Maybe 12s is too long. Somewhere in between maybe?

- Kin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FAST 5 said:
So Dave...........
Are you saying one should simply press down the DSC button and them release it instaed of holding down for the 10-12 second time period, to completely shut off the DSC ???
TIA. kinggf
Robert - to shut off the system, press the DSC button once. No need to hold it down for a specific time. You can easily test this yourself. If you have not done so already, take your M5 to one of the BMWCCA track driving events. Safe way to explore the limits of the beast. You will also see a night and day difference between having the DSC ON or OFF. I am warning you though, you may get hooked on the track experiance. :1:

·
Registered
182 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys, Im aware that the new model M3 cars have the newer version of the DSC, which is better than our DSC but was the previous version DSC for the M3 the same as in the M5 sedan? The reason why Im asking this question is due to a conversation I had with the owner of a 2004 M3. he teold me that even when he turns off his DSC, it still is active in extreme situations. Example; he will turn off the DSC and then attempt to drive the hard hard & aggressively, but when doing so the DSC will kick in as he is trying to make a sharp or hard turn, he feels the DSC taking over? Is this the same for our cars? Why does his car do this if he did in fact push the DSC button off???
Any way he can "truly" turn off the DSC or is it impossible???
Thanks for the replies.
Robert
The E46 M3 DSC can turned off by pressing the DSC button.

The "normal" E46 have this feature with cascated DSC Button (pressing short for DTC, presson long for everything off)

If you press the button too long (over 10 sec) the DSC ECU will switch on DSC because it supposes a damaged DSC switch :D

But again, the E46 M-Models dont have "Sports Mode" in DSC, so everything is swiched off if you press the DSC button short.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.