BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this black box with an small rubber covered antenna sticking out of the top of it. And what looks like a D-shaped 9-pin connector on the bottom. The wiring shown in picture "What 2.jpg" is what is attached to the 9-pin connector. It is mounted behind the CD changer on the rack in front of what I assume is the amp. Anybody know what this thing is?

I just got this marvelous automobile Sunday(it was delivered from Oakland, CA), and I'm still trying to figure out what is what and what is missing, etc.

TIA,
Kerby

Attachments

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Never seen one...

Clearly aftermarket with the crimp in connectors shown in the 2nd photo.... it looks like there is another RF cable (mini UHF connector) that also goes into it? LoJack?

·
Registered
362 Posts
POssibly a GPS tracking unit? That's my guess.

Now I'm interested in what it actually is...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is supposed to have Lo-Jack, but it is supposed to be working, and this isn't plugged into power anywhere. Also, that doesn't seem like a very good place to hide it. It took me seconds to find it...

I will have to pull it out to check for part numbers and logos. It hasn't been #1 on my list, but it's moving up.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hi Kerby - Welcome!

I can't help with your issue, but I noticed that you are in Ft. Worth. I'm in Keller, so maybe we could get together sometime and compare rides?

Also, there is a group of //M folk from the DFW area who meet on Saturday mornings in Plano. I've yet to go over there, but plan on it sometime.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike. I'd love to get together sometime. I'm waiting on FedEx to deliver my temp tag from California so I can drive the thing without the FWPD attacking me with rubber hoses...

Which is how I found this thing, I couldn't drive the car so I was playing with all the systems.

Which also reminds me. How much money do you have to pay for a BMW before they put a light under the hood? My Z3 doesn't have one either and it's bloody annoying.

Kerby

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Can't tell much from your pics. Can you provide a closeup on the 9 pin or the wiring harness in pic #2?

I'd probably concur with the LoJack theory since the wiring in the pic looks a lot like an inline fuse...

d-

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hey Mike. I'd love to get together sometime. I'm waiting on FedEx to deliver my temp tag from California so I can drive the thing without the FWPD attacking me with rubber hoses...

Which is how I found this thing, I couldn't drive the car so I was playing with all the systems.

Which also reminds me. How much money do you have to pay for a BMW before they put a light under the hood? My Z3 doesn't have one either and it's bloody annoying.

Kerby
I think their idea is for you to use the little flashlight that is in the glove compartment. Agree that it would be nice to have an actual underhood light, though.

Let me know (PM is fine) when you get your tag, and we can get together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll take the harness off and take a pic of it tonight. It does have an in-line fuse holder in the harness.

The car is supposed to be LoJack equipped. Maybe a new one was installed somewhere that is actually hidden, instead of in the first place I would look...

I'll be finding out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just talked with my sales guy, who took the picture to his service dept. Apparently, that is some kind of TV module. I'll pull it off in the next day or so and see if it says anything on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts