BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

My Car spent last week with Scotthall's in Stanmore for a health-check on certain irritating faults I've been living with for far too long.....

Their findings, upon return of my car on Friday, were as follows :-

1). EDC Problems

Upon a full investigation of the EDC system, the 4 shocks, all the sensors were found to be working well. The fault was diagnosed as being with the EDC Control Unit itself, which is to be replaced.

2). Windscreen and Headlamp / Fog Lamp Washers

All of the pumps were found to have failed - all are to be replaced !

3). Driver's Seat Height Adjustment

I'm fed up with driving the car with my head poking out of the sunroof like a noddy-car - the seat won't go down !. The motors were tested to be O.K., with the switch having failed - to be replaced. The good thing is the technicians shorted the wiring and by-passed the switch, to return the seat base to the lowest position - so I can now drive comfortably again - a nice touch.

The good news is that all of the above work is to be carried out under Warranty, and the parts are now on order. The car's due to go back in next week to have the work done, so I'll post a reply as to what the car's like when fixed.

I'm now feeling more re-assured that the £620-odd quid I spent in May this year renewing the warranty looks like it is probably going to be money well spent, after all.

I'm particularly looking forward to driving the car with fully-functioning EDC - which has never worked properly in my ownership.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi Terry

keep an eye on your miles mate.

i saw my mates e46 M3 being "ragged" while in for warranty work there and he was less than pleased to say the least

incase you are thinking "M3 built to be driven hard" he just had his big end bearings replaced that week and was due to pick the car up that afternoon
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,

The car's still in the dealership. Apparently, whilst fitting the replacement parts as detailed above, the computer threw up a faulty oxygen sensor / idle control sensor ( I can't remember exactly what the service guy said).

So they're replacing that under warranty too, but I've got to wait for the parts to come from Germany and they're on backorder at present............

:crying:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
FinalEditionE34M5 said:
Well,
...still in the dealership. Apparently, whilst fitting the replacement parts as detailed above, the computer...but I've got to wait for the parts to come from Germany and they're on backorder at present............
Beep. Bliip. Beep-beep-beep!!
Translation follows: "Car needed by dealer for a couple`o weeks as a runabout. Also, bit of a blast to drive, especially for the youngsters training inna workship, stops them ragging about in the 745s."

:hihi:

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's always been my concern.

Mine had it's MOT on Monday and I stayed with it while it was done. Passed first time, again.

Checking the mileage isn't always reliable as they tend to know how to disconnect and reconnect the right bits.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,

Quick update to round-off this post and my Warranty Experiences.

Got the car delivered back from Scotthall's in Stanmore last Friday.

EDC - Fixed
Seat Height Adjustment Switch - Fixed.
Washer System - Partially Fixed.
Idle Control Unit - Replaced.

Well, the Intensive / Standard Screen Wash has been restored to full glory, but the Headlamp Washers are still dry as a bone, and the Fog lamp washers don't work still, either.

The interseting thing is that water drips down from behind both front fog lamps when the washer system engages.

It's great to have a Fully-functioning EDC System - the Main Control Unit was replaced - this has never worked properly in my car ownership.

The Bill ? - Not a penny.

Not sure if I can really be bothered to send it back for the Headlamp Washer / Fog Lamp Washer System - just enjoying having it back now, after three weeks.

Began to wonder if it was being used as a runabout by the dealership - based on the above posts - did make me worry a bit !!.....

...but the mileage was commesurate with both journeys, and the fuel was too....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts