Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mechanic called me and told me of the following issues on the M5

1. Oil Leaking CPS Sensors
2. Leaking Valve Cover Gasket
3. Rear Sway Bar Brackets Broken
4. Several Belts need to be changed

Everything except for #3 is being covered by the extended warranty. Should I go with aftermarket brackets? What else should I get done while they are in there working on the car?

The car has 53,XXX miles on it.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
So my mechanic called me and told me of the following issues on the M5

1. Oil Leaking CPS Sensors
2. Leaking Valve Cover Gasket
3. Rear Sway Bar Brackets Broken
4. Several Belts need to be changed

Everything except for #3 is being covered by the extended warranty. Should I go with aftermarket brackets? What else should I get done while they are in there working on the car?

The car has 53,XXX miles on it.
Consider Beastpower brackets (at least when they are on sale). Never need replacing. There used to be one or two members here who also made upgraded brackets, might do a search.

At 53k miles, you might consider spark plugs while you are under the hood. Shop for plugs online, at the dealer you pay for the fancy box. Plugs should be in the $7-$8 range (last time I checked).

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just keep a couple spare stock sway bar brackets on hand and swap it out when it pops. Pretty quick to do once you get the hang of it, but you do want the car to be cool since you have to work right next to the exhaust pipes. Somehow I believe this saves me from breaking something harder to change, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i would foresure use upgraded sway bar brackets,busted 3 and keep 2 spare in the trunk,i can change them in a few minuites now
and without jacking the car up..the stock ones are not very good at all.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I just keep a couple spare stock sway bar brackets on hand and swap it out when it pops. Pretty quick to do once you get the hang of it, but you do want the car to be cool since you have to work right next to the exhaust pipes. Somehow I believe this saves me from breaking something harder to change, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I'd rather replace the brackets than deal with a torn sub-frame! Actually I've only had to replace the brackets once during the 70K (and counting!) life of my car, so my experience has been better than many in this regard.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry to drag this further afield, but FWIW, my E36M3 now has a broken sway bar. Maybe if it had crappier brackets they would have popped before the bar?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Warranty company covered the both valve cover gaskets, CPS Sensors and of course labor. Strange that they did not cover the sway bar brackets. Anyways I ordered a pair from bimmerzone.com.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry to drag this further afield, but FWIW, my E36M3 now has a broken sway bar. Maybe if it had crappier brackets they would have popped before the bar?
I have stock sways for e36 M3 I can sell you, PM me if you're interested

·
Registered
147 Posts
So the Warranty company covered the both valve cover gaskets, CPS Sensors and of course labor. Strange that they did not cover the sway bar brackets. Anyways I ordered a pair from bimmerzone.com.
That's really surprising. I would have thought they would have covered exactly the opposite things. Belts and gaskets would have been labled "wear and tear," the brackets would be considered a "mechanical breakdown" and the CPS Sensors would be a toss up. Maybe I'm just cynical and used to getting screwed by warranty companies. What warranty company are you using?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
American Auto Shield is the name of the warranty company. I actually paid a little extra for "Wear and tear" coverage. So far so good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, "wear and tear" coverage will remove the most frequent excuse for denying coverage. Too bad my warranty company didn't offer it on an 8 year old car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts