BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iDrive has just failed on me again, completely black, reset doesn't work, engine on/off doesn't fix it and I had the same problem a few weeks back so I decided it's getting too frequent and called up my local dealer.

As it's not an emergency issue I asked for a service slot with a loan car available which normally means having to wait half a week but as it happens it's going in tomorrow as they had a cancellation.

Then for the first time in my 10 years owning a BMW I was told there was a £12 ($25) fee for the loan car to cover insurance. I corrected them to say I have a company fleet policy which covers me for "any vehicle loaned or hired to the policy holder" and all loaners I've had from this dealer before have been covered by my own policy but it didn't wash with them. They have a new policy in the group of 5 service centres and there's no way round it, it has to be covered by their own Norwich Union fleet policy which is the exact same policy I have.

I was under the impression the UK Warranty covered you for a free loan vehicle should your vehicle develop a fault that is covered by warranty. I check the whole BMW website for confirmation and found nothing so ended up calling BMW Warranty Customer Services who informed me the loan car is at the dealer's discretion and subject to availability, it's nothing to do with the warranty and the warranty itself doesn't specify anything in relation to a loan car.

OK, £12 is hardly going to break the bank (if my car is only in for 1 day it's cheaper for me to get a taxi to work and back) but it's the principal. It's not like it's going in for body repairs or something I've caused, it's a fault that it's been in for several times before.

I think I'll be spending the £12 on petrol to go to the next nearest dealer who's willing to be reasonable about giving me a loaner.

[I've finished venting my anger now :mad:, thanks for reading]

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The insurance fee is pretty standard these days - just lump it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having made a few phone calls it does seem like most of the local BMW dealers are saying the same thing, although they can review it on the day and waive it at their discretion.:15:

Oh well, guess it's not the end of the World and if they give me a diesel I'd probably save more than £12 in fuel just in the day!:7:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You should try being 18 (at the time) and getting a loan car from BMW :hihi:

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should try being 18 (at the time) and getting a loan car from BMW :hihi:
Been there and dealt with those issue ouich(in the late 90's :eek:oohhh:) but the company fleet policy was like a golden ticket to them back then.

I dread to think what that'd be like now, good luck is all I can say!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I was allowed to rent a Dodge Neon when I turned mine in for service. :(

·
Registered
994 Posts
I got a Toyota 4-Runner when I took it into Beverly Hills for my 1,200mile service one week after handing them a cashiers check for $101,000. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I took my last car in, either I could have it on my insurance or theirs but I didn't have time to get the paperwork so had them do it.

They had to keep the car overnight so I went back the next day and I mentioned that I owe them for the loaner, they just said, "forget it..."

I guess it depends on who deals with you... I get on with the guys in service, in fact one of them may be going to Croft when I'm next there, I'll see if I can make him puke.... (making sure he is wearing a full face helmet) :haha:

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...for the loaner, they just said, "forget it..."

I guess it depends on who deals with you...
Same thing just happened to me this morning. Picked up a 320i touring loaner and whilst she was doing the insurance work she said there's normally a charge but not to worry about it :applause:.

I did mention I got a little up-tight on the phone when I was booking it in and told there was a charge; she just said all bookings are now made at the call centre not the service desk and they have to say there is a charge but they can waive it on the day so I should just "go along with it" on the phone.

NB said:
I get on with the guys in service, in fact one of them may be going to Croft when I'm next there, I'll see if I can make him puke.... (making sure he is wearing a full face helmet)
You're evil :pedro:just make sure it's a full face helmet!

I don't tell my service guys I track the car, I had an incident with brake squeal in 2006 after Nurburgring ring and got new front discs and pads under warranty. Soon after they saw the photos and article in a magazine and said tracking the car invalidates the warranty. I quickly pointed out that the Nurburgring is not a "track" but is a public toll road where the M5 is tested. They agreed but mentioned any other track-days elsewhere could invalidate my waranty. So now I just keep quiet :hihi:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
with brake squeal in 2006 after Nurburgring ring and got new front discs and pads under warranty. Soon after they saw the photos and article in a magazine and said tracking the car invalidates the warranty. I quickly pointed out that the Nurburgring is not a "track" but is a public toll road where the M5 is tested. They agreed but mentioned any other track-days elsewhere could invalidate my waranty. So now I just keep quiet :hihi:
Very strange, I've been told the opposite. Tracking the car is fine, he went onto tell me that a few of their customers do. They said it is good to track it, as you'll never enjoy it on normal roads in the same way. If my car breaks because I rev it to 8K+ that is not really my problem as BMW let the car rev to 8K+ though I have no engine mods as such.

I have the scoops and filters installed and I asked the dealer to checked with the waranty dept at BMW and they confirmed it was fine, but any damage caused as a result, (eg if dirt gets into the engine as a result), it is not covered.

The dealer said they would even install after market parts if I want, but I would need to sign a waiver, which I guess is so they are not held liable for any damage caused as a result of the installation of those parts.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The insurance fee is pretty standard these days - just lump it.
:2::2::2:I love the Brits sayings....."just Lump it !!!"

Nice Ashok..."spot on"...............

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I just don't get it....No loaners available, econo-car loaners and now an insurance premium fee. Next it'll be a fuel surcharge. The service loaner program is so inconsistent from one dealership to another. It really makes me appreciate the relationship I've had with my local BMW dealership for all these many years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my 650 in at the local BMW dealer and they told me because I didn't buy the car from them loaners are not an option. Gave me a chuckle

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was allowed to rent a Dodge Neon when I turned mine in for service. :(
I got me a real nice Kia the last time I had service done... :grrrrr:

·
Registered
378 Posts
got a 328xi, the guy in the 10 year old 5 series in front of me got a 5, go figure (and yes he knew I was there, hard to miss the M5 around here)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts