BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post

Bought an 2003 w/15,000 NOT from a BMW dealer.

Should I can I buy an extended warranty from a BMW dealer that is transferable? Are there more than one?

Cost? and does it add value on the resale side?

After looking through some of these threads, i'm afraid to say but
it was @ Land Rover Hinsdale IL. I sure hope it wasnt involved in a killing or something (ref Pirillow thread) I saw that car looked ok to me but too $.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Mikes said:
First post

Bought an 2003 w/15,000 NOT from a BMW dealer.

Should I can I buy an extended warranty from a BMW dealer that is transferable? Are there more than one?

Cost? and does it add value on the resale side?

After looking through some of these threads, i'm afraid to say but
it was @ Land Rover Hinsdale IL. I sure hope it wasnt involved in a killing or something (ref Pirillow thread) I saw that car looked ok to me but too $.

Thanks
Mike
M5s can be expensive out of warranty. However, you probably have over 2 years left on your factory warranty. The BMW extended warranty for the M5 costs a bit less than $3K and is for 6 years/100K miles TOTAL; that is, essentially it covers 2 additional years over the basic warranty. So, you are betting that you will spend > 3K on repairs (not maintanence items; this may not include the clutch) in that 2 year period.

Another issue is can you buy the BMW warrranty. Technically only the original owner can buy the BMW extended warranty, but if you have good relationship with a BMW dealer they may let you, or they may CPO the car for you which provides similar coverage for $1200 plus admin fee ($500-1000). This stuff is very dealer dependent.

You can always buy a 3rd party extended warranty, do a search as there ahs been quite a bit of discussion aobut this (there are many options if you don't live in CA).

I am buying a 2002 M5 and am choosing to have it CPO'd.

Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KevinM said:
M5s can be expensive out of warranty. However, you probably have over 2 years left on your factory warranty. The BMW extended warranty for the M5 costs a bit less than $3K and is for 6 years/100K miles TOTAL; that is, essentially it covers 2 additional years over the basic warranty. So, you are betting that you will spend > 3K on repairs (not maintanence items; this may not include the clutch) in that 2 year period.

Another issue is can you buy the BMW warrranty. Technically only the original owner can buy the BMW extended warranty, but if you have good relationship with a BMW dealer they may let you, or they may CPO the car for you which provides similar coverage for $1200 plus admin fee ($500-1000). This stuff is very dealer dependent.

You can always buy a 3rd party extended warranty, do a search as there ahs been quite a bit of discussion aobut this (there are many options if you don't live in CA).

I am buying a 2002 M5 and am choosing to have it CPO'd.

Kevin
so I can just seek a dealer to cpo my car?
sounds great!
thankyou
Mike

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Mikes said:
so I can just seek a dealer to cpo my car?
sounds great!
thankyou
Mike
Unfortunately, not so easily done. Some will, some won't. In my case, the person whom I am buying from got his dealer to do it prior to the sale, so I am essentially buying from the dealer. Another board member, Ard, has spent some time on this topic and recently had his '03 certified so you might PM him about his experience. As you bought the car from another (non-BMW) dealer, you may encounter resistance. Does not hurt to ask, though...

Good luck,

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts