BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much oil are you lot getting through??

It seems every week I have to top up my oil following the low oil warning.

I have no oil patches on the drive, nor is the back of the car plastered in the stuff.

I cover between 500 - 650 miles a week, mostly motorway (A1M, M25 & M4) and obviously have to sit in a fair amount of traffic on these roads.

When it is clear i'm normally doing 160kmh.

Is this normal oil consumption or is something going wrong. I know we talked about this subject during our meet in Ware, but can't remember if the opinion was it is normal or not!!!

Are the oil sensors really sensitive??

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:

I have no oil patches on the drive, nor is the back of the car plastered in the stuff.

I cover between 500 - 650 miles a week, mostly motorway (A1M, M25 & M4) and obviously have to sit in a fair amount of traffic on these roads.

When it is clear i'm normally doing 160kmh.

Is this normal oil consumption or is something going wrong. I know we talked about this subject during our meet in Ware, but can't remember if the opinion was it is normal or not!!!

Cheers

Steve
Check on the front end of your timing chain cover and all down the front end of the engine as this would be a likely place if there is a leak. After that, check your spark plugs to make sure they're not covered in the gunk as well (though you'd probably notice a bit rougher running if this was the case, but you can never tell). Then, for the final bit, check your coolant tanks to see if there's any oil in your water, which would mean it'd be something like a headgasket or a hole in a water jacket. Hopefully it's something much simpler, but do check and let us know!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just did 650 miles at the weekend, motorways and cross-country main roads and put a litre in, when I got home. No mess on the back of the car and no drips or leaks.

Pretty normal with mine and I think that sort of consumption is not that uncommon.

Sam

·
Registered
426 Posts
I get around 500 to 600 (max) miles to a litre. According to Bexleys who have been servicing the car for the last 2 years, there's no leaks and the engine is fine. The beast also did well in the rolling road test so no performance loss either. I've just learnt to live with keeping an eye on the odometer and topping up before the oil level bong goes off. (bong can be erratic to say the least).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the oil you use can make a huge difference, with Mobil 0W40 you will face
large consumption with Castrol TWS 10W60 it will decrease considerably -
during the 'E34M5tour de Alpes 2004' I covered 4500 km including a lot of
3500>7200 rpm ('joints') and high-speed motorway driving, back at home I
had to 'top up' with 0,5 liter (TWS 10W60) -
-
but remember up to 0,15 liter per 100 km (!!!) is still within factory margines,
this however under extrem driving conditions, most of us or never anywhere
near that figure even with 'enspired' driving :wroom:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Steve
You are in the same neck of the woods as me. My old car is called ollie by my sarcastic mates ! Named after the actor called Oliver Reed noted more for his drunken off screen antics (remember him ?)who could drink for England,

Any DRINK, it did'nt matter !

Any way..
1 litre of oil every 600 to 700 miles (10w40). I take a trip to the Nurburgring every year. Track work seems to make no significant difference. I change oil after every track day & 6000 miles. It is definately burning some oil in the combustion process. The engine has been partly rebuilt !!

Go figure ....!

Regards
Darren

·
Registered
38 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:

Cheers

Steve
Hi,
I have eliminated all oil leaks on my car, it involved changing the sump gasket, the front crankshaft seal, and the timing cover gasket. The last part is quite tricky, I almost had to have the head removed, but luckily all went well without this additional expense.
Oil consumption is roughly a liter to a 1000 km, it seems to increase with high speeds, which would indicate valve seals may be worth replacing. However, this sort of consumption is perfectlty within norm.
I use full synth Castrol Magnatec for its interesting attraction technology, remember most wear is caused by cold starts and the first cold miles.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:

Cheers

Steve
I top up when I get the 'oelstand motor' bong :)
This happens always when the oil level is just above minum.
Check at what point your car gives the warning just to be on the safe side. If you get the bong in time you can generally trust it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Steve,

I used to do a similar weekly mileage to you in my M5 and also used a similar amount of oil, so I would say its nothing to worry about.
My car doesn't leak any oil - probably its just different handbuilt engines varying in oil consumption.

Cheers,
Bryn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts