BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 2002 tii, 633csi, 528e, 325is, 325ic, and e36 M3 cars without any major engine or transmission issues. Most of my repairs on these previous models were self inflicted or maintenance wear and tear, I always drove them to red-line every time I put the key in the ignition because I truly felt that I had the Ultimate Driving Machine.

I purchased my late 05 build M5 April of this year and I can say that It performs like everything I expected and more, this is the first Bimmer that I did not run to redline because I have deep respect for the POWER. But I have lost confidence it it's reliability. 20k in MAJOR repairs for total SMG transmission failure and broken valve spring since April is Frightening and would cause some to pull their hair out. These were NOT self inflicted failures, I never used launch control or over-revved this car. I also paid for inspecting vehicle before purchase. (doesn't mean much)

I first of all would like to thank all who post to this board for providing information that help convince me that an extended warranty is a must for this car!! I am deeply grateful.

I also would like to warn those without a warranty to GET ONE!!

If you need an example of a warranty company that pays... Here it is. JW Fidelity Warranty Services pays without the B.S.

:D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
These cars are just so complex that some expensive repairs are almost inevitable (especially on early models). Extended warranty is a must.

afc1

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to fork out a lot of cash for repairs on my 545. I feel like I'm playing with fire right now not having an extended warranty. This definitely kicks my butt into gear about it. I'm glad I dont have an SMG for these reasons though. I heard there are just too many issues with the early years (at least), but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will shoot down that assumption. I need to really make it happen. I'm now at 30k miles on my 07. Its probably a good time to get on that warranty purchase.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I had the same warranty on my 2006 M5, never needed it... But I made sure it was transferred to it's new owner....a great policy.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
m3_m5_911,

where in Maryland do you get your car serviced and/or fixed. I ask b/c I would like to know for my own well being and a service center/shop that will accept the after-market warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
m3_m5_911,

where in Maryland do you get your car serviced and/or fixed. I ask b/c I would like to know for my own well being and a service center/shop that will accept the after-market warranty.
His receipt looks like it came from Passport BMW in Suitland, MD---That's where I have bought both my cars from..So far, great people to work with

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
His receipt looks like it came from Passport BMW in Suitland, MD---That's where I have bought both my cars from..So far, great people to work with
good eye!

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's good to know about the warranty, I'm looking at a used 07 with 36k miles on it, still has 9 months of warranty left on it, but I would want it covered even after that.

Trying not to be scared off by reading the threads, reminding myself that the E39 is the same way where everyone posts the problems but no one talks about how they had a normal, problem-free day in their M.

·
Registered
489 Posts
With the mileage on that car I would have pushed BMW NA for a good will claim and repair. Given your history of owning BMW's they tend to be very willing to not tarnish the BMW name with a bad repair issue. I am glad you had a warranty but if that were my car I would have been asking BMW why it failed in the first place. Even out of BMW warranty at that mileage there is no way the SMG or the valve train should have failed.

If you can't drive an M5 hard what can you drive hard?

Reactions: khyber

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is a old post, but did you ever have any issues with any other valve
Springs on this vehicle ?. Besides the one that were replaced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know this is a old post, but did you ever have any issues with any other valve
Springs on this vehicle ?. Besides the one that were replaced.
hiha Any issues with other valve springs.... Haa Haa Haaa LOL !!!hiha

I now own two m5 and both have been completely pathetic when it comes to reliability. The valve springs were fine but the engine spun a rod bearing and killed the engine on this car. (replaced with low miles 07 engine) The other was purchased with a bad vanos, it was repaired then SMG + additional vanos issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
The big Question???????..... How much for the Warranty and what was the deductable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.