BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The infomation I came across was form very reliable sources. After my terrible expireance with the version 27 upgrade from BMW, I tried to find out a way to have version 24 put back into my car. After speaking to techs at BMW, guys in the buisness that deal with only these cars; I got alot of negitive feedback about the new updates. BMW is purposly degrading the cars performace by introducing this new version. I even spoke to techs at BMW and they said "not only is it this car are we having this problem, we also seen this in the 335 and other models. BMW did this to save money! They figure the less M5's that brake down the more money they save on warrenty work.

So found a guy who had the version 24 with the unit to insall it. I was told by him and a BMW tech. "If you try to update the software with a lower version it will not take. There are to many commponent in this car that will not allow you to reprogram with a lower version.

I looked into buying a brand new ECU; Thinking that they would program it to the version 24 software. I was told it is not just the ecu but the whole car. Because of all the componets in the car it can not be done. It's pretty comfusing to me. But common guys! if theses a will there is a way!

Someone told me. that if you puma this subject they have the cabability to reprogram the whole car back to version 24 and its componenets.

All M5 owners "DO NOT GET THE UPDATE" The new ECU versus MY old version with all my mods gave up a 20 rwh drop in power. Right now im unhappy with the way the cars peformes.

Do you think M5 owners made a compliant about his subject they will fix the problom? Does anyone have any ideas about this.

Don't claim that its the ultimate driving machine. You made it driving machine, but in no way is it ultimate. I'm ready to drive the car throuhg the showroom floor and request a brand new car.

When you bring your car for service tell you advisor "Do not update the CAR/ECU!

What a stupid mistake I made:sad3: I am giving you fact trusts:grrrr: me. I went through it and dyno'd the car with the new ecu. The car hadl ess rwh,not to mention how sloppy the trans has been since I replaed the clutch.

To get to my point: In no way update your m's with the new version software. I am telling you for a fact it degrades the perfomance of the car. Yes you have a nicer gps screen. BIg Deal. I could car less about the navigation screen. I want back the pure raw power of my beast.

Anyone have any suggestion for me. Can I downgrade my software to a older version.?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you would like to make a quick trip to Dallas we have an authentic AA tuner flying in to flash ECU's = problem solved. Seriously if what you are reporting is true it won't take long for all of us (beyone anal) M5 owners to get this corrected. In a world where hp rules hard to imagine why bmw would want to save a few bucks by shorting us on power. :dunno:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the AA tune done. We did see improvment in the numbers. You have to relize we started with 20rwh less before we sent the ECU out. We did get the same gain that we had in the past with the AA stage II upgrade. The problem was we had lower numbers with stock OEM BMW versus my older version v25

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is so so so true.
2 weeks ago, they opened a PUMA case for my car because I couldn't eject the CD changer. It's stucked. They ended up replacing the unit and REPROGRAM the car. Car has never been the same again since then. I can feel the lost of power.
I want my ultimate driving machine back...!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
bmw service can mess up a 2 car parade. maybe you should check to make sure they did not flash your ecu with the 525i software? hiha

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I currently have the similar problem. Got no gain after pulley installed, and the dyno show weird a/f ratio very rich at higher RPM (a/f=11). Then let another member who got the same mods test drive my car, and he felt the car not quite strong close to redline. He look at my I-drive, and he said I definitely have an older version (less than v25) from looking at the screen color. I plan to the latest sw, but now I'm confuse.??????

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Russramz wrote this to me after I asked him about the problem I am having. I had done extensive research and find his statemant to be acurate. This new ECU has made this car a Lemon..

"My understanding is there is something in the software after ver 24 that BMW introduced that defeats certain aftermarket tuning efforts. Although the software may show the car being loaded properly, you may feel a decrease in performance. You will have to be the judge. Kelleners still has not been able to find a word-around for the ver 25 and greater even though it seems to load OK. I will be interested in the results you find. If there doesn't seem to be a difference, please let me know and I will pressure Kelleners for an answer."

Russ<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If you would like to make a quick trip to Dallas we have an authentic AA tuner flying in to flash ECU's = problem solved. Seriously if what you are reporting is true it won't take long for all of us (beyone anal) M5 owners to get this corrected. In a world where hp rules hard to imagine why bmw would want to save a few bucks by shorting us on power. :dunno:
I have mentioned this on many threads, but it seems people didn't take my word for it. I'm sorry for all of you that upgraded to V. 25 and later. I hope that AA can solve your problems, but I have my doubts considering what Kelleners-Sport did to solve a customer's problem with V 25.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Is there anyway u can check sw version yourself? Can u turn down sw upgrade from dealer when u bring her in for service? or How u avoide dealer to flash a newer version?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Russ I was just going to send you a message. I got the car back with the AA tune. We did get the same HP gains with v27 as with my older version. The problem is we sarted out with 17rwh less with the new oem software vs. the older version. AA was able to tune the ECU there are noticable gains. I'm going back in for a dyno this week. I told you I was running 100octane gas and that may have been the cause for the power loss. I will let you know what happens. BTW you were right about the new OEM issues. I ask a few techs at BMW and they said not only the M5 but other models to are having these issues as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can turn down the upgrade. When you bring your car in for service give your service advisor a $20 and tell him not to update the car. They will tell you theres a recall and it should be done. Just say your happy with how the car drives now. Say your friends car was just updated and it drives like crap. I'm sure you'll be fine. The only reason mine got flashed was when I got the new clutch installed recently the tech upgraded the ECU. I was pissed when i picked up the car. At least 5 times I took my car for service prior to that. I said don't flash the ECU. They said no problem. Just ask and they wont.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have mentioned this on many threads . . .
I can definitely vouch for that statement as you have referenced this issue several times.

All I can say from my experience is v.24 and no charcoal filters seems to be just the right combination! I'm very happy with the Dinan software too (although that's another thread), and it seems to be working with v.24 just fine.

Good to know that I should stick with my current version until this gets sorted out. Thanks, Russ, for your early comments on this issue and thanks to avry for providing some late breaking info.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just bought my car two weeks ago....should I be worried about the ECU software version? Anyway i can check?

·
Registered
637 Posts
When will this happen? I would like to participate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a lot of CE light problems with my Porsche after mods so I am not touching the M5 except for cosmetic changes...I guess I am stuck with the new ECU?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts