BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Note: This thread is NOT pointing at any specific brand, vendor, or installer. This is about INSTALLATION.
<FONT size=3>The purpose of this thread is to inform owners of SPECIFIC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY BMW, and often missed by installers. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
If you touched those bolts and nuts for any reason, replace them.<o:p></o:p>

Failure to follow BMW instructions could lead into a potential disastrous failure shown in the following thread:
<o:p>http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/193127-could-have-been-disaster-today-check-out.html</o:p>
Luckily no one has been hurt.
In this member avi8tir case, Bolt #2 shown in the image failed.
You can see those specific parts highlighted in BMW OEM installation guide.

The Part Numbers are:

2 Rear Shock Bolts Part Number: 33-50-6-779-488
6 Rear Mount Nuts Part Number: 07-11-9-905-374
6 Front Mount Nuts Part Number: 31-31-6-769-731

Special thanks to everyone contributing knowledge and information in this matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow.. Does this apply for the M6 too or is it just M5 specific. I was getting my Eibachs getting installed next week :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Would really appreciate it if someone would give me the part numbers necessary for the bolts need to replace the lowering spring. This looks to confusing

·
Registered
526 Posts
Would really appreciate it if someone would give me the part numbers necessary for the bolts need to replace the lowering spring. This looks to confusing
Part number for the hex bolts is 33506779488.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thank You! So I need to only replace 1 lower bolt on each wheel for each corner? Do I need the upper bolts?
The lower bolt you are replacing is on the rear wheels only, so you only need 2. The upper nuts you might want to replace (not nearly as important) are on the fronts and rears. I don't have the part numbers off-hand for those, but I just took schematic to the dealership parts counter and showed them what I needed and they got them for me. I think, in total, for all 4 wheels they were like $10 U.S. Very cheap.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am working on getting all the part numbers. I will update as soon as I get any info.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think that would be a great idea for this sticky, so the question doesn't get asked over and over again.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes, I also got the confirmation from My BMW Dealer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, I also got the confirmation from My BMW Dealer.

I took in the the car to the BMW dealer before I posted out the numbers. Checked every bolt on the actual car, then double checked by the ETK. The price for the bolts was 35$ including tax.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dag nabbit!!

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Oh well, better to catch this now rather than when my shock goes through my wheel well.

Thank you for the sticky.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer Also confirmed M5, M6, and M6 Convertible are all using the same part number.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the worst luck ever, I just installed the KW-V3 one week ago on my car with out knowing about this and it isn't even mentioned in the KW installation booklet. As specified in the installation booklet from KW, we reused all the bolts and nuts that were on the stock setup. Could someone please clarify how many Nm should these bolts be torqued? I didn't understand what they meant by 31 31 1AZ or 33 52 1AZ? what do all these numbers refer to, thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. Just ordered my new nuts and bolts! That's going to save us all a load of headaches

1 - 20 of 50 Posts