BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice I have come down to the point the computer tells me to fill up the engine oil, but both times the warning has been so discreet I almost missed it.

There is no warning "blong" nor does the "check control" message pop up on the HUD! The little warning triangle just discreetly appears on the OBC dash. Thats it.:confused2

Must be a bug in the software? I mean, as soon as I have a quarter tank of fuel left, there is all kind of noise and my HUD displays the full warning message, a long with the I-Drive screen.

Your thoughts?

Jonas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday but luckily I had just stopped for fuel and I added 1 litre of oil. This was the first time it has reached low level and I will have to monitor the oil usage as the car has only done 1,000 miles.

I agree that low oil should be a bigger issue than low fuel.

Happy motoring.

wdc

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just got to 6,000 miles in my E60 (best 6k ever...) and I've topped up three times. In total I've topped up 1.75 Ltrs of oil. The usage has gone down slightly - but the beast is thirsty. Interestingly though, having just done 3000 miles on the cannonball 8000, the oil usage at high speed was relatively low. During these 3000 miles, I only topped up once - 0.5 ltrs. We drove regulalrly at 150-155mph with full M settings on. Even did the Nurburgring too - admittedly - very slowly!!

The best way to moniter oil usage is to keep the oil level indicator showing at all times. This shows a scale of '0'0L - 1.0L'. as soon as your level drops to 0.4L, top up with 500ml and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Wasim.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Remember, this is a dry sump car. Unlike a wet sump car, if the E60 is low a ltr is does not affect the oil level inside the engine. You still get the same amound of splash lubrication, etc. And if I remember correctly, the oil capacity of this engine is 6 or 7 ltr(or more) so being down is not the same kind of issue it was in the E39. That being said, you still shouldn't ignore it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jessem said:
And if I remember correctly, the oil capacity of this engine is 6 or 7 ltr(or more)
It's 10 liters actually. And the manual indeed suggests waiting for it to come down to 0.2L. You won't get a blong immediately, but you will before late. As well, the manual suggests refilling at least 0.5L for the indicators to even notice.

Please also keep in mind that you have to keep driving for at least 30 minutes to let the recalculations perform their job.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Help! Why does this car eat so much oil? My other BMWs only need an oil change, never an oil top up! As far as I can remember, the M5 is not a two-stroke lawn mower! Any thoughts? Is this normal?

·
Registered
829 Posts
SWP said:
Help! Why does this car eat so much oil? My other BMWs only need an oil change, never an oil top up! As far as I can remember, the M5 is not a two-stroke lawn mower! Any thoughts? Is this normal?
The E39 also had the same, during break-in it eats oil. But after that it drops back to normal. Because the car has a dry-sump oil system you need to oil at a steady level for correct pressure and such, this means topping the oil up at regular intervals.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not sure why some people make such a fuss over oil. I had my M5 for four years, worst case I added 10 quarts of $10/qt oil over the 75K miles I had it. Hmmm, let's see $100.00 worth of oil. Not really worth exclamation points much less concern.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The fuss is not really an issue of cost. Having thrown $100K out the door for a new M5, I don't think $$$ is the issue. I was just curious why a modern engine like the V10 should "consume" oil, as would a two-stroke engine that combines oil and gas for combustion. I thought oil, in a modern four-stroke, is more like hydraulic fluid, you put it in and it stays there until you change it. I guess it makes sense that it will need some oil to coat all the parts for a dry sump. But I still think that should have been completed at the factory. With the extreme manufacturing tolerances, modern cars really don't need much of a break in period, with the exception of the M5 launch sequence.

Jessem said:
Not sure why some people make such a fuss over oil. I had my M5 for four years, worst case I added 10 quarts of $10/qt oil over the 75K miles I had it. Hmmm, let's see $100.00 worth of oil. Not really worth exclamation points much less concern.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I suspect that they have a very short piston that, even with tight clearances, "rocks" ever so slightly, allowing a small amount of oil to get by. They also may have chosen to not to use valve guide seal, tho I really don;t know. When I build a performance engine, I don't use seals, and the high compression(12.6:1) does draw oil down the guide when the throttles close. I've always been concerned that the guide seal will reduce the oil available to the valve-guide interface. Perhaps this is also the case with the V10. I wouldn't be surprised if other high bhp/liter engines are similarly thirsty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine has used 1L in 2,500 miles and I reckon that is pretty good. My 4.8is uses more than that and I had a Ford Sierra 1.8 that used 1L every 250 miles :1: .

Botom line is that the engine was designed in anticipation of using some oil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So when do u fill the oil?As my oil gauge shows just a fraction less than normal and i only drove the car 1000km now.so when do u fill at half or almost empty?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sasheen said:
So when do u fill the oil?As my oil gauge shows just a fraction less than normal and i only drove the car 1000km now.so when do u fill at half or almost empty?
Wait till it gives you the low oil check control message and then top it up with 1 liter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts