10W-60 is fine for warm weather months

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No flames & no one gets hurt ;)

So, the late 2000 motor beast's been all BMW Castrol 5W-30 since new. This is the updated ring/motor issue build.
Was perusing the 10W-60 threads & thought there could be no harm in employing it for warm weather months. Agree? Caveats? Poll supplied. ( thanks )

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
My car has a sticker that says 10W60. That's what it gets year round. So far, no issues!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car has a sticker that says 10W60. That's what it gets year round. So far, no issues!
Month / year build?
July 2000 & prior build date's requiring 10w-60 only as I understand it

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Month / year build?
July 2000 & prior build date's requiring 10w-60 only as I understand it
You'd be correct in my case. Mine's 04/00 build.

Oil use? A quart every 4k miles. Car has 64k miles.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Winter I'm using Mobile 1 0W-40 for cold weather issues. Use TWS 10W-60 once early summer hits (same time I switch from all season to summer tires).

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use TWS 10w-60 year-round and the car starts fine all the time. Granted, cold in Texas isn't cold like the northern states; but, we do have those occasional near freezing days.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Because we're consistently below freezing in the mornings come winter, I do this. However, I'm noticing a 2-3 mpg increase on average using 0W40.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
No need to change - operating temperature of your car doesn't change with the seasons.

Tracking your car would be a good reason to use 10W-60, but the beginning of summer/warm weather is not.

d-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
No need to change - operating temperature of your car doesn't change with the seasons.

Tracking your car would be a good reason to use 10W-60, but the beginning of summer/warm weather is not.

d-
+1

... and, while you're under your car, I am in the driver's seat.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My car is in AZ, one of the hottest places in the country. My car burns ZERO oil and runs beautifully year round on 10W60.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
04/2003 build 5w30.

Would environmental temperatures affect viscosity? IE I would think 10w60 is better in climates found in areas like SoCal, Arizona, or Texas where it can get in the 100s easy for long periods compared to boring and wet weather areas like Seattle, or further north where it gets colder, closer to 0 or worst where perhaps 5w30 seems better?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Generally not for a daily driver.

If it is hot enough in your region for your car to run with the temp gauge well right of center, then yes, a heavier oil than BMW 5W30 is probably called for. The same is true if you track your vehicle.

But if you typically spend your time with the temp needle pointed straight up there is no reason to change oil just because of the season.

d-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts