BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow E39 M5 owners:

I've read all previous posts/threads related to warm start problems but mine is a little different. My 2000 M5 starts fine when cold, and runs like a charm, but a warm/heated restart often goes like so (it's not always a problem)---turn key, dash lights come on as they should through ignition point 2, but beyond that point, no sound, no nothing, as if the battery were dead. It starts after some additional tries, or a rest period of some minutes, but nevertheless, from what I've read here on the Board, something isn't right with the ignition/fuel pump, etc. and I would like to remedy the problem. In general it seems that I have to turn the key to the max every time to get the spark.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Fellow E39 M5 owners:

I've read all previous posts/threads related to warm start problems but mine is a little different. My 2000 M5 starts fine when cold, and runs like a charm, but a warm/heated restart often goes like so (it's not always a problem)---turn key, dash lights come on as they should through ignition point 2, but beyond that point, no sound, no nothing, as if the battery were dead. It starts after some additional tries, or a rest period of some minutes, but nevertheless, from what I've read here on the Board, something isn't right with the ignition/fuel pump, etc. and I would like to remedy the problem. In general it seems that I have to turn the key to the max every time to get the spark.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Ignition switch?

Try jumping the fuel pump relay and see what happens to eliminate that as a possible cause. Good write up here on how to do that.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts