BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I noticed today, after some normal driving that the bottom of the shiftknob, around the leather boot, has warmed up. I don't know if it was always like this.

I did a search and came up with this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16857&highlight=hot+shift

Can anyone check their knobs after they drive and report findings? Please don't turn this into another X-Rated thread like that last one. :hihi:

My gut reaction is that it's normal, confirmed by several people on that last thread. But I'd like the assurance.

Ashok, has your warm knob problem gotten any worse?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
Hey guys,

I noticed today, after some normal driving that the bottom of the shiftknob, around the leather boot, has warmed up. I don't know if it was always like this.

I did a search and came up with this:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16857&highlight=hot+shift

Can anyone check their knobs after they drive and report findings? Please don't turn this into another X-Rated thread like that last one. :hihi:

My gut reaction is that it's normal, confirmed by several people on that last thread. But I'd like the assurance.

Ashok, has your warm knob problem gotten any worse?
I can not speak for the state of Ashok's knob however your's sounds normal.

Shadowman

·
Registered
682 Posts
The lighted shift knob doe sheat up which is quite annoying in the summer months. I am used to cold hard alluminum. :M5thumbs:

There is some minor warming around the boot, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
Hey guys,

I wasn't sure, so I got a second opinion. Talked to the wife, and she said the knob is just fine. Whew, that could have been another thread had I gotten negative feedback.

Who wants a cold knob anyways :7:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
You guys leave my knob alone!! :nono:

Seriously, I've not had the "problem" occur since 2002 so I imagine it may have been the original fluid or some kind of running in issue. Never heated up since then and I was referring to the column not the lighted part on top.

You may an issue with the transmission fluid - worth investigating further if the problem persists.

B

·
0 Posts
I currently use the solid titanium knob that we sell, and it remains cool while driving. It may be due to the properties of the metal.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ashok Arora said:
You guys leave my knob alone!! :nono:

Seriously, I've not had the "problem" occur since 2002 so I imagine it may have been the original fluid or some kind of running in issue. Never heated up since then and I was referring to the column not the lighted part on top.

You may an issue with the transmission fluid - worth investigating further if the problem persists.
Hmm, it's interesting because the dealer just changed the tranny fluid as part of the 1200 mile service. Problem is, I don't know if it was warming up prior to that.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It is normal to have a warm shaft and knob. The heat transfers up them quickly once the car gets warmed up and excited;).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts