BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a few people here did it and wondered how it was done.

i read where DAve Z tried to get a group buy together but didn't pan out.

I called Dealer and they said they had 93 units on Backorder.

Is there a way any of our vendors here could help acquire these?

kinggf

·
10,455 Posts
Sam, i don't think any of the vendors sell the dvd nav drive, but you can get it from www.bimmernav.com. I think it's a good upgrade.
It's a simple plug and play procedure.
Mike

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:

kinggf
Martin Bishop came to our rescue. Check out http://www.bimmernav.com

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You'll find his pricing to be half of discounted dealer pricing- don't know how he does it...

for example, my MK4 nav unit was replaced under warranty...price was around $2300 or so on the warranty receipt. Crevier wanted 1800. Martin has it for around 795 with the DVD map. unbeatable price.

·
10,455 Posts
ard said:
You'll find his pricing to be half of discounted dealer pricing- don't know how he does it...

for example, by MK4 nav unit was replaced under warranty...price was around $2300 or so on the warranty receipt. Crevier wanted 1800. Martin has it for around 795 with the DVD map. unbeatable price.
2300 is pretty wishfull thinking on the dealers part, I paid $1100 for a mk4 nav unit from my local bmw parts dept. I'll admit that was a great price (it pays to be friendly with your dealership!), but even msrp at that time was about $1400. I also don't know how bimmernav does it, but i'm ok with the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. :wroom:
Mike

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
OK, I have the MK3 CD-ROM based NAV. Is the only difference from the MK4 CD vs DVD? I have split screen, and the same features on the MK4 that I see on bimmernav.com. Ialso have the newest software update. Since I don't use the NAV that much, if the only difference is the DVD (one map for all of the US) vs. CD, I'll keep my MK3.

Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:

kinggf
www.bimmernav.com has unbeatable prices.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
mottati said:
2300 is pretty wishfull thinking on the dealers part, I paid $1100 for a mk4 nav unit from my local bmw parts dept. I'll admit that was a great price (it pays to be friendly with your dealership!), but even msrp at that time was about $1400. I also don't know how bimmernav does it, but i'm ok with the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. :wroom:
Mike
I had to sign off on the work they did under warranty- prices were listed there at 'full boat retail' for parts and labor. I agree they are not going to get paid that- they would only get reimbursed their original cost plus maybe a handling fee. Likewise with the labor, even if the invoice lists $97 an hour, their reimbursement via BMW for warranty work is less.

Funny comment on the 'don't ask, don't tell' ... I wonder how he does it.....

Martin is a great resource as well- just drop him an email with a question and he'll help out. (Don't get too turned off by the website- it is kind of quirky.)

A

·
Registered
272 Posts
I upgraded my Nav to DVD a few months and I love it.

I ordered from Martin at bimmernav as well. The newer software and the DVD Nav computer are lightning fast compared to the MKII with old software I was running. I believe I paid just around $750 for both the Nav Computer and newsest DVD Map available.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Amir M5 said:
I upgraded my Nav to DVD a few months and I love it.

I ordered from Martin at bimmernav as well. The newer software and the DVD Nav computer are lightning fast compared to the MKII with old software I was running. I believe I paid just around $750 for both the Nav Computer and newsest DVD Map available.
For those of you who did the ugrade, did you lose the split screen with DVD Nav? Right now, I have the radio info on the top half and the car info (mpg 1, mpg 2, range, DTE etc) on the bottom half on my older MkIII.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
For those of you who did the ugrade, did you lose the split screen with DVD Nav? Right now, I have the radio info on the top half and the car info (mpg 1, mpg 2, range, DTE etc) on the bottom half on my older MkIII.
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry, i don't think i can do that, but i assumed it was software. In the 03 dvd nav owners manual, it shows split screen with radio on one side, and board comp data on the other side by side, not top and bottom. I generally keep my display on sirius so i can see who i'm listening to etc...
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
mottati said:
Jerry, i don't think i can do that, but i assumed it was software. In the 03 dvd nav owners manual, it shows split screen with radio on one side, and board comp data on the other side by side, not top and bottom. I generally keep my display on sirius so i can see who i'm listening to etc...
Mike
Yes, there is a setting for 'split screen' On/Off in the 'Settings' Menu...

·
10,455 Posts
ard said:
Yes, there is a setting for 'split screen' On/Off in the 'Settings' Menu...
True, but on my car, with v24 (i think) software, when I am in split screen mode, i don't seem to be able to have the same combo of info jerry describes, (radio and board computer). Additionally, my split screen is side by side, not top/bottom like Jerry mentions.
Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm got a MY00 and am plotting a course to Sirius. Those of you that have upgraded the MKII units to MKIV DVD - did you do the widescreen update at the same time or could you confirm that the MKIV computer works with the smaller 4:3 display? I'd like to complete this project in phases....

Also please confirm that MKIV is required for Sirius - I believe this to be the case but if I thought I could simply jack Sirius into my MKII unit, I might go that cheaper route since I'm really not that concerned about the size of the NAV screen.

·
10,455 Posts
tomlavelle said:
I'm got a MY00 and am plotting a course to Sirius. Those of you that have upgraded the MKII units to MKIV DVD - did you do the widescreen update at the same time or could you confirm that the MKIV computer works with the smaller 4:3 display? I'd like to complete this project in phases....

Also please confirm that MKIV is required for Sirius - I believe this to be the case but if I thought I could simply jack Sirius into my MKII unit, I might go that cheaper route since I'm really not that concerned about the size of the NAV screen.
I haven't heard of anyone going with the nav drive first. I, like many, did the widescreen first with my mk2 computer. That said, i don't see why it shouldnt' work on the small screen.

If you've looked at bimmernav.com, you'll see that martin has a particular pn for a mk4 dvd nav that is sirius ready. I upgraded my nav before sirius came along, and have a different mk4 drive, but it still supported sirius without problems. In your case, like mine, you'll need the correct radio unit to support sirius, and a few adapter cables.
Mike

·
Registered
272 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
Since I was running MKII I did not have split screen, but gained it with the DVD Nav. However, I do not have the same split screen as you have apparently. Rather than havinvg radio/car info on a top/bottom split, I have GPS/car info on a side by side split, just as Mike described.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What is the cost of the 16:9 NAV Screen with CD Player built in? If I got an 01 or 02 BMW, I don't have an issue with the CD-ROM NAV (hardly use the NAV) but I have a big issue with a tape player and not a CD Player.

I see the DVD NAV Computer runs $1500 on average, but never see a price for the NAV screen itself.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
HDClown said:
What is the cost of the 16:9 NAV Screen with CD Player built in? If I got an 01 or 02 BMW, I don't have an issue with the CD-ROM NAV (hardly use the NAV) but I have a big issue with a tape player and not a CD Player.

I see the DVD NAV Computer runs $1500 on average, but never see a price for the NAV screen itself.
There's no such thing. The large 16:9 NAV screen for the E39 only comes with a cassette tape player hidden behind the motorized tilting screen.

·
Registered
977 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
There's no such thing. The large 16:9 NAV screen for the E39 only comes with a cassette tape player hidden behind the motorized tilting screen.
Wow! That is stinky. Would need to get an MP3 player then for sure. Not a huge loss.. Good excuse to get that iPod. Does the E39 screen support the BMW AUX input adaptor?

Would the NAV screen from an E46 fit? I know the button layout is different and the casing/screen has bumped out area on the lower 2/3 of the screen. The key would be the harnesses of course.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
HDClown said:
Wow! That is stinky. Would need to get an MP3 player then for sure. Not a huge loss.. Good excuse to get that iPod. Does the E39 screen support the BMW AUX input adaptor?
Only if your E39 is a 2003 model. The issue is the main harness that plugs into the back of the NAV screen/cassette assembly. On the 2003 model, there's an extra plug sitting there unused. The AUX adapter kit from BMW connects up to this plug on the harness. The screen assembly is unchanged from 2001-2003.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts