BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum as you can see from my join date and Ill try and avoid the traps newbies make. So here is what I am looking for and in no particular order:

Imola Red (2 tone red/black or carmel)
Lemans Blue (2 tone with blue/black or silver/black or carmel)
Carbon black (carmel)
Anthracite (carmel)

*all options in working order, the PDC would be nice and prefer no mods

Distance is not an issue for travel and the mileage should be under 70k (hard requirement) and of course a clean carfax, all receipts and service history and PPI, which of course I will pay for and no paintwork. I am also scouring ebay, craigslist, autotrader, cars.com and dupont registry (those guys are crazy on there). I am just looking for suggestions on other places to watch for a vehicle but in short I am after a clean, well maintained car.

Being a newbie I know my permissions are limited so reply here and let me know how to reach out and begin discussions.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have M-5 just going to write for sale add this A.M.

Have a Imola Red w/ two tone red & black interior all leather. 49590k on clock. If you would like somemore info e-mail me [email protected] anytime. Regards, Gene

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to those that responded via PM or who plan to respond via PM but I am unable, due to my post count, to respond back. Please reach out to me via my email [email protected] with some options for me. No spam please!

Thanks OC they do have some nice examples. I'll add them to my expanding list of sites.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey

good luck finding your car! I spent quite some time looking for a Imola Red on Red/Black M5 (01+) before finally finding it... Even gave up for a while since so few come on the market these days. But I did get one in the end so some perseverance and hold out for exactly what you want and eventually it'll happen.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Goodbeer. I think I'm going to need it but maybe I am being too picky. Let one slip through my fingers (2000) locally but even with low mileage had a bunch of issues that were "fixed" by dealer but still saw others that had me concerned but had no service history at all on the car. Car was sold and ended up in NC.

Anyway Im in no hurry so I can play waiting game and I refuse to compromise. I am sure there are some good examples out there. We'll see what happens after some of the beasts come out after hibernation from the winter. Right now I'm kicking tires and opening doors on as many as I can locally so if and when the opportunity presents itself I am ready to pull the trigger.

I have not seen an Imola in person but I assume its a regular red and non metallic. Are there any issues specific to that color I need to be concerned about or just like any non metallic its prone to scracthes more than metallic. Does it have a clearcoat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

On toughness I don't know yet, I got the car on the 11th (early Xmas present)... Its an 01 and its got just a very few chips on it you have to hunt for them a bit also, really amazing for a 10 year old car, my M3's held up well (99 bright red) and 01 (silverstone) had fairly minimal chips and most were tiny. But my VW GTI (black magic, metallic) had tons of chips on it after just a few years. So its not the paint type but what the manufacturer does when they paint the car. My Corvette is chip free... so go figure?

That said, the Imola Red is standard paint, not mettallic and no tint coat, but it does have clear coat on it. The touch up kit comes with the red and clear coats also. There are a ton of E46 M3's with the same paint color so probably easy to find one to see if you like the color. Its a dark red, which in well lit pictures appears a bit brighter than it actually is. The Red leather matches the body color quite well and is also a dark red. Red cars are not for everyone, and I think the majority of German sedans these days come in black, gray or silver, which to me is dull, more dull, and excruciatingly dull. If I want my car to blend in with the background I'd buy an Accord and be done with it.

This is the 6th E39 M5 I had looked at and driven during my search (I had already driven several at various track events though), and out of those there was only one other car that I would have bought, it was an 01 LeMans Blue, Black/Gray leather, 77k miles. But in excellent shape, and it had a set of snow tires/wheels with it. I made an offer to the owner, who said it was a bit low and he had someone else coming to look at the car a few hours after me from Detroit. That guy offered asking price for it. For me it was an excellent car, but not the interior color I would have gone done...

So funny story, back in 2000 I had my E36 M3, and I was looking to trade it for an 01 M5. I spec'd one out exactly as my current M5 is spec'd (omit the sunshades and PDC)... A local dealer's sales people even ordered one for me after I mentioned I was looking (I did a lot of driving schools back then, and many dealers had car nut people there also:). Back then I passed on the M5 and got a second car that was a bit more exotic and a ton of fun at the track. No regrets, but its cool that I ended up with the car I originally spec'd online. I looked at 1 E60 M5. Drove it. Hated it. To me it lacked the M'ness my other M cars had, that continuous urgency the car has to be flogged a bit more... It was mostly missing from the E60 I drove.

So definitely be super picky. I learned this the hard way, even a great car, well bought, but in the wrong color, won't last in your garage. My second M3 (silver) is a good example... Still miss that first red M3 though, one of the few cars I have owned that I should have just kept. Also when you do find your car. Get it, don't hesitate, because someone like me is out there still looking for the same thing, and with 12 of them on the market at any one time, the good one in that group goes quickly.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah that looks like a decent enough car also. A few things. Its got some hackwork to bring out the ipod connector (but having that is a plus), its got the PDC and rear sunshade also which my car doesn't and honestly I thought the rear sunshade was pretty cool, but also something that if it broke, would be nearly impossible to fix :). It seems to be in decent shape, mine is an 01 and comparing, there is a bit more wear on that one's interior, shifter knob is quite beaten up compared to my car's, mileage is similar to mine (mine was just under 71k). It is very nice but the one thing I don't like there is it has an E46 M3's 19" wheels on it, not the stock M5 wheels. Some cars could use aftermarket wheels and its an improvement, the M5 is definitely not one of them. Other than those few nits, its essentially the same as what I just bought, provided it has a clean history and you can get under it to see what's leaking and what isn't... Should be nice. Priced a bit high, but I think pretty close. I paid 18 for mine and its an 01. Of course that included a full set of practically new snow tires and wheels. Also mine had a passport built in radar detector, which to me was a no-add for value, V1's are still the only way to fly IMHO. The Passport detects stuff about 400 feet away, the V1 about 1 mile...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts