BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my Honda tuner has built himself (yes, built, from scratch!) a new rolling road and my M5 went on it the other day.

Ignoring headline figures (270ish at wheels, corrected to about 320 crank - I Need to take a standard graph down to compare the curve properly), the lambda reading from the exhaust isn't great - car goes very rich at 5000 then quite lean at the top end, which is never ideal. It's not so lean it looks to be potentially damaging, but the engine looks like it wants more fuel at any rate.

As previously realised, my car has a Superchips chip in the ECU - I'd like to return it to standard.

We have an EPROM burner, so can easily copy a stock one.

Does anyone have one to hand that I could borrow for a few days so I can clone it?

If all you have is the actual ECU itself then I'll be happy to take that off you, open it up, clone the chip then close it again.

In either case I'll obviously pay for recorded, safe delivery at both ends and a case of beer or the tipple of your choice!

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you have a eprom programmer I can email you a file for testing. It worked really well on my car. Has a standard limiter.

PM me your email address with ECU number and preferably the number on the ori chip.

270 bhp @ wheels is about what these cars do on dyno's so you should be happy.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Email address on it's way via PM - thanks.

Here's the superchip that's in it - don't have the original one I'm afraid!

Do you need the part number on the outside of the ECU casing??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes, need the part number on the casing please at the very least.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
stephen, I've got a 16 pin, later chip waiting to be installed, does yer man know if he can use a chip from the later dme ?

Sorry, when I say 16 pin, of course, ahem, I mean 32 pin. Get your finger out and find out!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Very wise move removing the Pooper chip:applause:
These are an engine killer in S38 with extended rpm limit.
I did one recently, reverting to std eprom.
One of the pins had been damaged on install.:sad1:
The release clips had been damaged that allow separation of the boards
at the terminal ends.
What a bodge of an install.

Once we had set the car up mechanically & addressed some small issues,
the car drove much better than previously.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got all the numbers off the casing of the ECU:

Bosch part number 0261200412

BMW numbers:
WBSHC92070GE00023

And on a small white sticker:
26RT4108

Hopefully that's enough for you ;-)
Stephen

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just about to post up - spooky!

Friend drove the car to my tuner and burned it this morning, then put it in the car, then tuner had to go home as he was dying with the cold .... otherwise it would have went onto the rolling road.

(my friend is doing all this for me whilst I'm in London)

Friend says it definitely feels slower before 4500rpm, and the weather is too bad (pouring rain) to try it above that.

Dyno will tell the whole story, and I'll drive it tomorrow to see.

I will probably come back to you for one of your special maps, Mark ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, I've now done a few miles in the car (but not yet been on the dyno).

It's smoother at low revs ... feels like the fuelling is better ... but is definitely down on power until the resonance flap opens.

Bizarrely it was much happier from a stone cold start this morning as well.

Lost it's really lumpy tickover which is nice, but that was also part of it's character, which was not so nice.

Car is leaner at low revs - blipping the throttle no longer causes the odd caugh from fuel in the exhaust.

If dyno makes the lambda look nicer/safer on the dyno it's staying on. If not, then I'll consider putting the superchips chip back in it .... it's been in the car for an indeterminate number of miles with no (obvious) damage at any rate - although I'm on 155K and do want to see 200K!

Forgive my ignorance of reprogramming stock ECUs (from a Superchips angle at any rate), but is it a full fuel & timing map these guys put in, or is it just a fuel map?

One consideration at the moment is to use a hex editor to combine both maps - I think the factory ECU is far better high up (from initial drive) - I could combine the <4K from superchips with >4K from the factory ECU and burn it back on .... this makes sense to me (I'm a computer expert) but I think I have some more reading to do.

All on the dyno you understand - as I've oft said, I've a complex fully programmable ECU on my Honda so I am fully aware of the dangers of not mapping a car properly, or using generic "upgrade" maps :nono:

Stephen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts