BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WANTED: NEW M5 LOWERING SPRINGS

My new M5 is being delivered next week and I am having trouble finding an alternative spring to Hartge. I have tried to contact the Hartge dealer here in Australia, sent 3 emails asking prices etc on 21" wheels & lower springs but no reply, can't be too interested in selling Hartge product.

Would love to hear from anyone on board who can advise of another reputable manufacturer/supplier of lowering springs, retailing here in Aussie or overseas that I can purchase from.

Lack of response from Hartge means I will probably go with the 21" Breyton Spirit or BBS RXII wheel option as they are available within a week but I really would like to get springs at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Check out AC Schnitzer as well. They just released their lineup for the M5 in the USA and I beleive springs were included in their package along with some nice aero packages. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
rem said:
Look here H&R, they certainly have a local dealer in your country.

I've them installed -35mm, the ride is great lovelove .
I like 1NEON are having my new M5 delivered shortly and would like some springs - would you be kind enough to upload a image of your car, so we can all see how it looks please

Many thanx

Dave

·
Registered
122 Posts
storageking said:
I like 1NEON are having my new M5 delivered shortly and would like some springs - would you be kind enough to upload a image of your car, so we can all see how it looks please

Many thanx

Dave
Cogratulations on the imminent arrival of your M5. Looks like it's going to be a race between you and Peter as to who gets their pics up first. Noticed that Peter is getting the Sepang Bronze, what's your's?

About 20 more sleeps before I get mine which is Silverstone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
beamaphile said:
Cogratulations on the imminent arrival of your M5. Looks like it's going to be a race between you and Peter as to who gets their pics up first. Noticed that Peter is getting the Sepang Bronze, what's your's?

About 20 more sleeps before I get mine which is Silverstone.
Silver grey over black, with Piano Black inserts (to replace the brushed metal)

Where are you taking delivery?

Dave

·
Registered
434 Posts
storageking said:

Many thanx

Dave
His car is under the link "My Cars" in his sig.

Look under the gallery called M5 Prov. Looks Great!

While the look is better I wonder what the lowering and new springs do for the ride and more importantly performance. The aftermarket has had little or no time with the car for testing, R&D etc. Given that the M5 is optimized by BMW for performance with lots of ring time can anyone comment on what these aftermarket springs might do?

·
Registered
122 Posts
storageking said:
Silver grey over black, with Piano Black inserts (to replace the brushed metal)

Where are you taking delivery?

Dave
Trying to organise pick up in Melbourne or Sydney but having to put up with parochial BS from dealer. I should know by Mon or Tue. BTW, did you order the piano black as an after fit or done from the factory?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Not to sound patronizing or anything like that, but I would highly encourage you not to modify, at least initially, a car that BMW Motorsport spent hundreds of millions of dollars in development. This is not a stock car like the 545i which lends itself to modification. The engineers at BMW Motorsport optimized each characteristic of the car to achieve optimal performance. They specifically opted for 19-inch rims rather than 20-inch rims for a reason. They also selected the ride height and wind tunnel tested the aerodynamics to achieve the best balance of performance and forgiveness. Unless you plan to use this car exclusively on a track, give the factory M5 a chance to test your capabilities. My sense is that very few people, including many professional race car drivers, will be able to push the M5 to its absolute limits.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just asking, but how do you know this?

SWP said:
They specifically opted for 19-inch rims rather than 20-inch rims for a reason. They also selected the ride height and wind tunnel tested the aerodynamics to achieve the best balance of performance and forgiveness.
Could the engineers have given the car characteristics that just worked without giving consideration to maximize its performance?

·
Registered
247 Posts
SWP said:
Not to sound patronizing or anything like that, but I would highly encourage you not to modify, at least initially, a car that BMW Motorsport spent hundreds of millions of dollars in development
While I agree that it is going to be hard for the aftermarket to better the M5, things like ride height and settings are inevitable compromised even on an M model car.

The ride height, here in the US at least, is dictated by bumper height recommendations... not wind tunnel and track testing. Spring rates are probably as high as BMW thinks the majoirty of potential owners will tolertate, not necessarily the best handling or most sporting option availible.

Some people like slammed cars with big wheels... some people want racing coilovers on their street cars... some people are happy with what mother bMW gives them. Thats why more options are better...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SWP said:
Not to sound patronizing or anything like that, but I would highly encourage you not to modify, at least initially, a car that BMW Motorsport spent hundreds of millions of dollars in development. This is not a stock car like the 545i which lends itself to modification. The engineers at BMW Motorsport optimized each characteristic of the car to achieve optimal performance. They specifically opted for 19-inch rims rather than 20-inch rims for a reason. They also selected the ride height and wind tunnel tested the aerodynamics to achieve the best balance of performance and forgiveness. Unless you plan to use this car exclusively on a track, give the factory M5 a chance to test your capabilities. My sense is that very few people, including many professional race car drivers, will be able to push the M5 to its absolute limits.
What the engineers probably opted for was a setup for the road that suits all conditions that will be encountered by owners around the world, this translates into compromises in some situations to cater for rough roads, road height, loaded vehicles, handling characteristics, availability of tyres etc. To finely tune the car further for an owner's specific requirements is what the likes of Hartge do.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Zapper said:
While I agree that it is going to be hard for the aftermarket to better the M5, things like ride height and settings are inevitable compromised even on an M model car.

The ride height, here in the US at least, is dictated by bumper height recommendations... not wind tunnel and track testing. Spring rates are probably as high as BMW thinks the majoirty of potential owners will tolertate, not necessarily the best handling or most sporting option availible.

Some people like slammed cars with big wheels... some people want racing coilovers on their street cars... some people are happy with what mother bMW gives them. Thats why more options are better...
No chance the m5 suspension settings were 'compromised' due to bumper height restrictions in the US. Take a look at a Corvette, or even the M6, that sits 1-1/2 inches lower than the M5.

I have to agree that I'm very reluctant to mess with the suspension of a car that BMW took so much time and effort to tune. If you do, you'll be upsetting the balance in some way for sure. There just hasn't been enough 'track time' for the OEM people to optimize things. I'll virtually guarantee that the laptimes with these modified suspensions will be slower than stock, or you'll be giving up significant ride comfort.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Re: WANTED: NEW M5 LOWERING SPRINGS

1.NEON said:
Lack of response from Hartge means I will probably go with the 21" Breyton Spirit or BBS RXII wheel option as they are available within a week but I really would like to get springs at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Eibach offers a -30mm front and -20mm rear Pro-kit

·
Registered
68 Posts
beamaphile said:
Trying to organise pick up in Melbourne or Sydney but having to put up with parochial BS from dealer. I should know by Mon or Tue. BTW, did you order the piano black as an after fit or done from the factory?
Piano Black fitted at factory, but it took a huge amount of aggrevation from me and my dealer, right up to Germany, but in the end they succumbed. I just think the metal look is out of place in a prestige $250k car.

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mark540iMSport said:
His car is under the link "My Cars" in his sig.

Look under the gallery called M5 Prov. Looks Great!

While the look is better I wonder what the lowering and new springs do for the ride and more importantly performance. The aftermarket has had little or no time with the car for testing, R&D etc. Given that the M5 is optimized by BMW for performance with lots of ring time can anyone comment on what these aftermarket springs might do?
Thanx for that, I had a look and have ordered a set

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
150 Posts
SWP said:
Most all of the tuners have modified cars with great results achieving both track and street improvement. Although Porsche also spends hundreds of millions of dollars in development, an after market suspension for the 996TT vastly improves both the ride and handling of a stock vehicle. As far as the wheels go, you may have a point as 996TT buyers failed trying to put 19" wheels on a track.

·
Registered
122 Posts
storageking said:
Piano Black fitted at factory, but it took a huge amount of aggrevation from me and my dealer, right up to Germany, but in the end they succumbed. I just think the metal look is out of place in a prestige $250k car.

Dave
Well done! You must have pulled at the right strings to get that. From memory, I think your car is on the Turandot arriving tommorow, as is mine. Have been told there are 4 M5's on it plus about 200 other BMW's. Whilst they are giving priority to M5's , it all depends on where amongst the other 200 they are and in what order they come off the ship. Then they have to go into bond, then get dewaxed etc etc etc so I don't really expect to get mine for at least 10 days after that.

Please post some pics when you can, would like to see what the piano black looks like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts