BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody..a long time since I last posted here! My friend (him with the 'special Egyptian Princess's M5 ;) ) has knackered the gearbox on his 1991 5 speed M5. Anyone know where I might source a good second-hand one? What sort of price should he pay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not needed anymore - repair job done instead. Bearings were shot...the driver claims this was probably the result of putting the car into reverse at high speed (after pulling on the hand brake and revving into the red before letting out the clutch...) - which was apparently necessary to increase the braking power of the beast, so as not to hit an approaching brick wall. Sounds a bit crazy to me, not to mention expensive, but maybe the better option to crashing, if it worked and that really was the choice! Sounds like a good story, but a bit hard to swallow in one bite...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...spoke too soon! Apparently, the main shaft (gearbox drive shaft??) is bent, and needs replacing as well. So, new clutch, re-furbished gearbox, and now still needs the shaft. Has anybody got an E34 5 speed box for sale, please? :grrrrr:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
BigMac

I was re-reading the locked thread on your mate's 'Egyptian Queen' M5 recently and this led me to this thread.

I presume in the past 12 months or so, he found a gearbox for the car?

And I would also presume, if he still owns it, that he has modified it even further, given his predilection to modding?

Any update on its current status would be appreciated. The promised pics even better.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts