BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Im suppose to have the Blue Tooth module & it's kit installed this afternoon, along with the Sirius radio kit. Im having second thoughts on going through with the BT aspect of the install project. Why.......
I have Motorola's V710 cell phone and Im reading more and more negative reviews on the TB pairing and the compatability of the TB kit when its installed into our M5 car. The entire TB kit costs approx. $600.00 plus a few hours of install time. Should tell the tech not to do this aspect of my install project and only proceed with the Sirius radio install ???
Thank you for your opinion.
Robert

PS Has anyone else done the Blue Tooth kit install into thir car? If yes, then are you satisfied with the results, based on what you've paid for the TB kit ???

·
Registered
445 Posts
The kit is well worth the $ and integrates well. the V710 might be a little different since the phone book does not transfer automatically. What I would question is the few hours of labor??? it took me 20 mins on my M3 and about 35 mins on the M5 since mine is not prewired and need the adaptor cables. This is doing the work yourself. The whole thing is plug and play and extremely straight forward. Just the parts should be no more than $500. I wouldn't pay anybody else to do it.

FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
Im suppose to have the Blue Tooth module & it's kit installed this afternoon, along with the Sirius radio kit. Im having second thoughts on going through with the BT aspect of the install project. Why.......
I have Motorola's V710 cell phone and Im reading more and more negative reviews on the TB pairing and the compatability of the TB kit when its installed into our M5 car. The entire TB kit costs approx. $600.00 plus a few hours of install time. Should tell the tech not to do this aspect of my install project and only proceed with the Sirius radio install ???
Thank you for your opinion.
Robert

PS Has anyone else done the Blue Tooth kit install into thir car? If yes, then are you satisfied with the results, based on what you've paid for the TB kit ???

·
10,455 Posts
I agree. I retrofitted bt to my 00 m5 and it didn't take a 'few hours', maybe 2 max, and that was using a prototype bt kit.

I have no experience with the v710, but with my SET616, it works perfectly. Good sound quailty at both ends, phone book on the nav screen, voice recognition. I'd do it again in a minute.

SANguru said:
The kit is well worth the $ and integrates well. the V710 might be a little different since the phone book does not transfer automatically. What I would question is the few hours of labor??? it took me 20 mins on my M3 and about 35 mins on the M5 since mine is not prewired and need the adaptor cables. This is doing the work yourself. The whole thing is plug and play and extremely straight forward. Just the parts should be no more than $500. I wouldn't pay anybody else to do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also did this upgrade myself in a '00 M5. I would highly recommend it! My car had the CPT8000 in it, and the upgrade with parts from bimmernav.com took me less than an hour. I have a v551 and it works very well. I know there are some issues with v710, but I don't think you will be disappointed. <br><br>I would agree that a couple of hours labor seems a bit high, based on my experience. <br>

·
Registered
262 Posts
if you get/make a lot of calls, it's well worth it.

-joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
In NY its a 100 dolar fine for talking on a phone without hands free. So, that alone is enough. Oh yeah, it's cool too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Worth it. Useful, safer, and still has some "that's cool" to it.

Sometimes the phone makes all the difference but, be careful. My setup wasn't working too well. Trying to converse through the car was like speaking over a very bad cell connection but, when I would switch to the phone alone, the calls would be fine. Didn't seem to be a cell phone reception problem. Still, I was more inclined to blame the relatively cheap cell phone than my car or mod. After failing to find a new cell phone that I thought would suit my needs/tastes, I took the car to the dealer where I had the bluetooth installed and complained. I think I have an early unit and with the help of some posts here, I was looking to get them to swap the unit out to get a newer, (hopefully) better functioning one. What they did, though, was swap out the antenna amp saying it was somehow part of the equation. I was skeptical but, it made a big difference. I still have the same phone (Siemens S56) and am still waiting to find a decent replacement, as it's really starting to show its age but it still works very well.

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

·
Registered
85 Posts
I definitely think that it is worth it! I have always hated trying to dive under my jacket, shirt and seat belt to reach my phone before the caller hangs up! (I know I can put the phone in the console, but I don't get enough calls to justify pulling it off my belt clip and putting in the console all the time). One point is to make sure that you have the latest mic. My original mic was from a CPT 7000 kit and it sounded really bad. I swapped it out with the latest and that made all the difference!

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you spend a considerable amount of time on the phone it's a no-brainer. Not having additional distractions while being surrounded by a bunch of drivers who can't stay in their lane because they're on the phone is definitely worth it. Do it, you won't regret it and will probably wonder how you survived without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts