BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 M5 has 39,000 miles, titanium, red & black interior,Bridgestones, excellant mechanics, showroom condition, always garaged, non-smoker, all options plus universal remote. Have a potential buyer (serious) for $40,000 ready to close, should I do it?

New tires are 3 months away and brakes up front estimated at 50k miles would be the buyers responsibility.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jim,
I don't know the market that well for a used 2000 M5, but if the money is within 5% either way of what more educated people think, I say the money and run. The 00's are probably the least desirable as far as the used market goes and while I think the biggest depreciation hit has occurred, time will continue to be unkind. I would say, don't do this if its going to be grab the cash and then have no super awesome ride. If you are putting it towards something necessary or car related (well, car related does = necessary ;) !) then I think its probably a good move to be a seller.

I have been pondering just what I will do with my 03 M5 when the lease runs this coming April. I had seen thread where there was an 03 with low miles going for the high 50s... I figured that car should be worth more, but like I said, I am not following the market closely enough to be an expert- or even knowledgeable. Sorry this rambled and it wasnt as helpful as I would like it to be.

Let us know what youre going to do with the proceeds if its something you can share.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Jim,

Depends if the replacement is selected/ready. Also, if the 00 is NOT a keeper in your book, I'll do it now as the price seems fair.

I thought I would keep mine (00 as well) forever. Unfortunately, an accident gave me no choice. Fortunately the insurance settlement is very fair to me. There is no way I could sell my 00 for that amount in an open market.

Now in retrospect, if I keep an E39 forever, it'll have to be a 2003. Even then, I'm not sure as the cost of ownership ($$$$, time, aggrevation, etc.) seems to mount now that more known issues are surfacing relating to our beloved M5.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

CP

·
Registered
977 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
My 2000 M5 has 39,000 miles, titanium, red & black interior,Bridgestones, excellant mechanics, showroom condition, always garaged, non-smoker, all options plus universal remote. Have a potential buyer (serious) for $40,000 ready to close, should I do it?

New tires are 3 months away and brakes up front estimated at 50k miles would be the buyers responsibility.
If your interested in selling in general, and that price is enough to cover the remainder of the loan, then I say go for it. Based on my 2002 CPO + 4 yr maintenance selling for 47k at a dealerin Ft. L, I think that price is very realistic.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
MY00 M5's are going for low $30's. Take the $40k and run! Good luck on your sale:)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
MY00 M5's are going for low $30's. Take the $40k and run! Good luck on your sale:)
That's what I found as well, as long as one year ago. So $40k is actually a very strong offer. But then I have little doubt that Jim's car is top shelf even it is a 2000 vintage. The trouble is uneducated buyers may only look at saving a few coins and take a leap of faith with lower price samples. The special buyer who will pay what the car deserves (especially when price is on the high side) is a commodity in very short supply.

Case in point: The PO was selling his RUF BTR in January 2003, the one that I own now. The car is a real rare find and out runs Ferraris and Lambos. Yet a 1995 993 with 97k miles on the clock was a major turn-off for most others at his asking price. He kept lowering the price hoping to sell, and I found the car in July 2003. I finally got it in December 2003. He felt lucky that I came along. I felt doubly lucky finding his car.

Jim may be looking at a similar situation with his M5 now.

CP

·
Registered
311 Posts
On another note 2000 M5's are different than all other M5's in appearance. Black faced instrument cluster, headlights and so fort. And that would make them sorta unique. And let's not forget about the first year nostalgia that goes with it.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I would agree that $40k for a '00 is about as high as you'll see on the market unless the car has very low miles. In addition, I believe red interiors are a little more difficult to move on the market than more neutral interiors. Take this offer if you are serious about selling the car.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
$40K = super strong offer; in California, MY00 in excellent condition w/ 40K miles moving at $35K.

Black faced instrument cluster nicer than my current 02' (personal pref) but tail lights and small nav screen starting to look dated.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Jim,

If you want to sell the 2000, then that is probably an extremely good offer.

In Sweden E39 M5 prices dropped US$ 7-10k when the E60 became fact. I would be surprised if you don´t see the same effect in the US too very soon.

I am not saying you have a stupid buyer, I think you have a buyer that is smart enough to pay a bit more to get an M5 in top notch condition. The sad thing is that there are very few people who are that smart.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread you have a stunning colour combination, but there may be just a small elite that fully appreciate it.

What are the chances of finding another buyer smart enough to pay extra for a mint condition car, and who at the same time fully appreciates the colour scheme, and find that person before the E60 availability erodes the E39 pricing?

What ever you decide, just don´t drop out of this board!

Best Wishes,

David

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jim:

I have an '00 with 33k on the clock. While I might be intrigued by an offer of 40K, where am I going? I thought about replacements and nothing intrigued me. I decided to buy a three year extended warranty (ran about 2k) and keep the car until 07'. Then what? I don't know. Maybe the E60 will have a stick by then. Maybe an RS4. Not too many things out there with a stick.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
On a purely economic basis, price is strong. I agree with the "take the money and run" crowd. Don't know why you are considering selling, but prices on used vehicles go in one direction only (at least in this realm). If you love the car and want to keep it, then it doesn't matter (within reason) how much you are offered if it is not for sale.
If you sell, what do you intend to replace it with??
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
In the DC area there is no '00 over $39k. Take the money and run!!!! FAST!!! Why do you want to sell anyway????

·
Registered
958 Posts
Silverstreak said:
Jim:

I have an '00 with 33k on the clock. While I might be intrigued by an offer of 40K, where am I going? I thought about replacements and nothing intrigued me. I decided to buy a three year extended warranty (ran about 2k) and keep the car until 07'. Then what? I don't know. Maybe the E60 will have a stick by then. Maybe an RS4. Not too many things out there with a stick.
I am going to be in a similar situation when the CPO runs out. Who did your warranty? I would probably just update my Nav screen and do a few mods - no reasons to buy anything else in my book.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
gsfent said:
If you sell, what do you intend to replace it with??
Then its nearly unanimous....DON'T SELL FOR ANY PRICE!!! (Well, ok, within reason....). In our, er, slightly partial collective view, what else is there out there that can one-up an e39 M5?
Think man.... think carefully.... ;)

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
739 Posts
mamsterla said:
I am going to be in a similar situation when the CPO runs out. Who did your warranty? I would probably just update my Nav screen and do a few mods - no reasons to buy anything else in my book.
The company is called Universal Warranty out of Omaha, NE. They ran it through a local company in Florida that is licensed here. Call 1-800-232-0389 to find out if they are licensed in your state. So far I've used them twice and had no problems in getting the repair paid for.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Name as many cars as you can that are realy high perofmance (like 400 hp high), four doors, stick shift and pick one from that list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve taken your advice and the money is in the bank. I am sadly:crying2: bimmer-less. But I'll be back as soon as I get the call for my M5 order.

Thanks for your advice and kind words, I'm not leaving the board and will return with a E60 M5 hopefully by the end of November at the worst.

My current ride is a Touareg V8 with the convenience package and 19 inch wheels. I'll keep that for now and keep track of your activities on this board.

Cheers

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That will be a 2% commission to the board............ :7:

Stay cool man

Jim Dolan said:
I’ve taken your advice and the money is in the bank. I am sadly:crying2: bimmer-less. But I'll be back as soon as I get the call for my M5 order.

Thanks for your advice and kind words, I'm not leaving the board and will return with a E60 M5 hopefully by the end of November at the worst.

My current ride is a Touareg V8 with the convenience package and 19 inch wheels. I'll keep that for now and keep track of your activities on this board.

Cheers

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts