BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it is a beast on steroids! The build was carried out by the guys at Bullet Engineering in Costa Mesa, CA,
heads were tweaked by Superior Performance in OC, I used the H beam Carrillo rods, more expensive but stronger, BE rod bearings, new main bearings, basically any wear item was replaced since we had the motor apart, balanced and blueprinted, think of Patek Phillipe mechanical watch of the engine world, with the headers you get up to an additional 50+HP over what Dinan says on their website, it keeps the soul of the S85 as it was originally designed without the the "bastardization" of the blown part. Look I get it, supercharging is a way to get more power, but I'm a purist with this very special motor. There's a reason it won so many awards in it's day. And it was not cheap, but I tend to keep my cars a long time and I beleive there will come a point where the e60 M5 will be appreciated for what it is. I made the mistake of selling a CA 1972 Porsche 911S Sunroof model that I built to the 2.7RS engine specs BEFORE they skyrocketed in price. Never again.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Stolen as in he stole it or his bits off the car got stolen since the vid?

·
Registered
416 Posts
no need for all that. just supercharge your car, replace all the 'consumables', switch out the bearings, and be done with it. if you want to go higher, you may just have the wrong car. SC makes it a perfect daily--little too fast imho for public roads. if i added more power to my m5 than what i have now, i probably be dead.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,256 Posts
Bullet Engineering in Costa Mesa, CA,
heads were tweaked by Superior Performance in OC, I used the H beam Carrillo rods, more expensive but stronger, BE rod bearings, new main bearings, basically any wear item was replaced since we had the motor apart, balanced and blueprinted, think of Patek Phillipe mechanical watch of the engine world
Love the Patek reference. You refreshed your RD stroker with Bullet? I had their builder/machine shop give my s38 stroker the same treatment with custom Carrillo pistons and rods, after my head gasket let go.

My goal was to build a nasty 3.8L NA engine to pick on my "the world is flat" GT3RS friends. I'm also the idiot that sold a 5 speed 89' 930 turbo convertible before the boom, because it was too "flexi" and I wanted a coupe. Great for cruising PCH, but not much else.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How do you know all this, I remember watching that episode of LLF sometime back?
It is very well known. Slower than a stock v10 due to heat soak and 635 kit. ESS never mapped a 5.2 with 675 kit in the uk

Stolen as in he stole it or his bits off the car got stolen since the vid?
The person that did the build was called BMRemapping did ALOT of dodgy work blew up a couple of v10 from doing engine work. Insurance scams etc

41 - 47 of 47 Posts