BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking to do "major" mods to my M5, I want to be careful of the warranty. Reading for hours the suggestions and Q&A's on the board about mods., i've determined that I would benefit from :
1)remove carbon filter, add 2)RPI filter 3)RPI scoops
4)Evo pulley(not sure)seems to be popular mod. just not 100% sure what changing it does. A little explination would be helpful.
Thanks to all the M5 guys out there who give such great input/experience on every possible aspect of these "beasts" we own.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The RPI filters are actually BMC filters. The pulley underdrives
the A/C, power steering, oil cooling. The pulley itself is smaller
and lighter than stock. All these are good mods. If you are concerned
about warranty issues I doubt you'll have problems with charcoal filters,
BMC filters, and RPi scoops. A pulley swap could be an issue for anal
dealerships. Dinan mods match the factory warranty so these are good
for the concerned and conservative. The downside is that they tend to
be expensive and up to this point don't provide the bang for the buck
as other mods.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would stay aways from pulleys if your concerned about warranty issues like me... do some springs, exhaust, Rpi scoops, BMC filters, maybe Dinan software and 3.91, and headers...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would stay aways from pulleys if your concerned about warranty issues like me... do some springs, exhaust, Rpi scoops, BMC filters, maybe Dinan software and 3.91, and headers...
LOL! I know you have to be kidding about the headers.

I hesitate to recommend the 3.91 diff. I have the diff and at this point I
really don't think it was worth it. There seems to be some loose evidence
on dragtimes.com as well as some g-tech runs by Wolverine that indicate it
is beneficial but for +3k??? It's money already spent for me but if I had
it to do over again I probably wouldn't waste the money. Spend that money
on exhaust. Exhaust you'll get minimal hp/tq gains but the sound is also
a HUGE part of the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
LOL! I know you have to be kidding about the headers.

I hesitate to recommend the 3.91 diff. I have the diff and at this point I
really don't think it was worth it. There seems to be some loose evidence
on dragtimes.com as well as some g-tech runs by Wolverine that indicate it
is beneficial but for +3k??? It's money already spent for me but if I had
it to do over again I probably wouldn't waste the money. Spend that money
on exhaust. Exhaust you'll get minimal hp/tq gains but the sound is also
a HUGE part of the driving experience.
headers no good? I thought it was a "safe" bolt-on mod?:confused:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
headers no good? I thought it was a "safe" bolt-on mod?:confused:
It is bolt on but you have to drop the engine to install it. It also
removes the primary cats so it technically makes you vehicle illegal
to drive on the streets. It is an exhaust mod so in that regard it
feels relatively safe however it does bolt directly to the engine. It's
fairly major surgery to install (see 10-15hrs). IMHO this isn't a
beginner's mod and certainly not for the conservative.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It is bolt on but you have to drop the engine to install it. It also
removes the primary cats so it technically makes you vehicle illegal
to drive on the streets. It is an exhaust mod so in that regard it
feels relatively safe however it does bolt directly to the engine. It's
fairly major surgery to install (see 10-15hrs). IMHO this isn't a
beginner's mod and certainly not for the conservative.
I see... ok scratch that then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not looking to do "major" mods to my M5, I want to be careful of the warranty. Reading for hours the suggestions and Q&A's on the board about mods., i've determined that I would benefit from :
1)remove carbon filter, add 2)RPI filter 3)RPI scoops
4)Evo pulley(not sure)seems to be popular mod. just not 100% sure what changing it does. A little explination would be helpful.
Thanks to all the M5 guys out there who give such great input/experience on every possible aspect of these "beasts" we own.
I have had the same warranty concerns you mentioned. 1) definitely remove the CF. My dealer offered and removed it for $50, so that is definitely not a warranty issue. 2) RPI, the filters and scoops offere a huge bang for the buck, do it. 3) I would also suggest getting the Dinan Front Control System and Rear Swat Bar for $550 installed at a DINAN dealer. The M5 will handle much better with this inexpensive mod and it's even warranted. 4) I have not done EVO yet, but I read that people are very happy with it. I plan to do it sometime this year. Other than that, I change the oil every 7,000 miles and stay up to date with the dicoveries others on this board discuss.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Are aftermarket pulleys really that detectable by the dealer? Just seems so small and concealed for the most part.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have had the same warranty concerns you mentioned. 1) definitely remove the CF. My dealer offered and removed it for $50, so that is definitely not a warranty issue. 2) RPI, the filters and scoops offere a huge bang for the buck, do it. 3) I would also suggest getting the Dinan Front Control System and Rear Swat Bar for $550 installed at a DINAN dealer. The M5 will handle much better with this inexpensive mod and it's even warranted. 4) I have not done EVO yet, but I read that people are very happy with it. I plan to do it sometime this year. Other than that, I change the oil every 7,000 miles and stay up to date with the dicoveries others on this board discuss.
and an exhaust.... dinan :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Are aftermarket pulleys really that detectable by the dealer? Just seems so small and concealed for the most part.
I doubt that they would notice under normal service. If something goes
wrong with the engine other affect components I'm sure they would find it.

Here's my list of mods from conservative to heavy. I think pretty
much anything in the conservative area you won't get too much
flak from the dealership.

---Conservative
Wheels
Exterior styling
Charcoal filter removal
RPi Ram Air
Panel filters
Anything Dinan (due to matching warranty)
non-Dinan Exhaust (cans)
Exhaust section 2
non-Dinan suspension (springs, spacers)
---Moderate
Pulleys
non-Dinan diffs (Evosport)
K&N Typhoon (due to SES light)
Exhaust section 1 (due to secondary cats)
non-Dinan Software
---Heavy
Headers
Cams
NOS

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something but it's a general list.
(Yes, I'm semi-bored watching the Pac-Giants game)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I've been following the thread and Marshall I agree w/ your points stated.
Briefly regarding Dinan headers, well keep waiting and prob. will need to cut into your pension plan to buy them.

Now I have a question concerning these RPI scoops. Do they put plates on underneath and block off air duct designed by BMW? If is the case how can one think that that would be good and better than designed by BMW engineers.

To the original thread; if you are so concerned about warranty issues leave the car alone. After I saw how weak my dealer service dept. was I knew the car would never come back to them. This car is personal to me so I do not mind paying to take care of it.

Motorsports is an adventure and a passion. You aspire for improvements and changes to embellish your car. I never worry about warranty.
Man I love the M5.
I have a GT3 and a GT3RS and honest to God the M5 is my favorite. The power is so outrageous.

Cheers gentlemen,
M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've been following the thread and Marshall I agree w/ your points stated.
Briefly regarding Dinan headers, well keep waiting and prob. will need to cut into your pension plan to buy them.

Now I have a question concerning these RPI scoops. Do they put plates on underneath and block off air duct designed by BMW? If is the case how can one think that that would be good and better than designed by BMW engineers.

To the original thread; if you are so concerned about warranty issues leave the car alone. After I saw how weak my dealer service dept. was I knew the car would never come back to them. This car is personal to me so I do not mind paying to take care of it.

Motorsports is an adventure and a passion. You aspire for improvements and changes to embellish your car. I never worry about warranty.
Man I love the M5.
I have a GT3 and a GT3RS and honest to God the M5 is my favorite. The power is so outrageous.

Cheers gentlemen,
M5Ranger...Juan
Hey Juan. The RPI scoops do not include the block off plates. That is
a separate experiment that a few of us were running. It seems to lead
to midrange gains. I agree with you that it's really odd that this would
work. Even with my dyno charts showing gains I'm still dubious. I can't
understand why BMW M would make a design decision that would
lead to these results. :confused2 Because of this I'm not recommending folks
do this. I would like to see other folks run some tests and see if their
results agree with mine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I appreciate all the suggestions. Great to get input from a wide base of M5 owners and their experiences. Much thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In looking at Dinan's website, I see they have an engine software pkg. upgrade for $999.99 that talks about it being used with airbox filter mods. Would that be the way to go and be necessary to get the most out of the airbox mods. I'm looking at?

·
1,764 Posts
In looking at Dinan's website, I see they have an engine software pkg. upgrade for $999.99 that talks about it being used with airbox filter mods. Would that be the way to go and be necessary to get the most out of the airbox mods. I'm looking at?
The only mod they do to the airbox is remove the charcoal filters used in the U.S. model M5 and M6. The rest of the upgrade is s/w. Most of the HP gain is said to come from the charcoal filter removal. You can DIY and save $$.

:cheers:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I guess my question is, when I do the CF, Scoops, air filter is it worth spending the money for the Dinan software upgrade? I'm not worried about the top speed limiter, but it talks about better throttle response and higher redline in each gear. Anyone have this software currently installed or suggest something else engine wise from dinan?

·
1,764 Posts
So I guess my question is, when I do the CF, Scoops, air filter is it worth spending the money for the Dinan software upgrade? I'm not worried about the top speed limiter, but it talks about better throttle response and higher redline in each gear. Anyone have this software currently installed or suggest something else engine wise from dinan?
If you do the dinan s/w let the dealer remove the CF, as it is part of the deal. That way, no warranty issue can come up at all.
Worth the $$?, there are different opinions on this one. You should search, as it is a well discussed topic. Here is just one.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101580&highlight=Dinan+s/w

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
There isn't much to be had from just software alone. Most of Dinan's
claimed gains come from removing the charcoal filters. If you get software you
are buying speed limiter removal, rev limiter increase, increased throttle
response, and maybe 5hp gain...maybe. Of course I'm thinking that the
5hp gain is in the noise. This is the same for all basic software out there.
You will feel a difference with the software but don't mistake throttle
response for power gains.

With this said, Dinan's software is the cheapest available. If you want
the above gains then Dinan is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In looking through the threads I must have missed that one, thanks for the heads up! I'm going with the CF out, scoops in, filter in for now. Dinan exhaust will be in the near future. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts