BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run with my parking lights & fogs on day & night, but I'm already getting tired of having to walk back to the beast and turn off the headlights. Is there some way to upgrade to automatic lights that will turn off when you shut'er down?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
If you find a fix I am in with you on it.

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
MAH said:
If you find a fix I am in with you on it.

Mark
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
ditto.

anyone?
:confused2

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took my car into Beverly Hills BMW and had them recode my headlights so they would come on and off when the switch is set in the A mode. When I took my car to Bob Smith BMW before there response is that in A mode they are always on even if it is clear skies and sunny because BMW has set them very sensitive. Which means they don't know and aren't gonna try. I thought what is the point of having Automatic headlights if they are on all the time. I have other cars that turn on and off depending on light conditons if they are in the Automatic mode. Now I know not to go to Bob Smith BMW because they did not even fix that simple recode, that and they drove my car 70 miles for just a oil change and a rattle.

Beverly Hills made my headlights come on and off depending on light conditions and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off. My car is a 03 and does have the Automatic mode. I am not sure if all M5's have this. I also had them activate the autolock on the car so when you drive over 6mph (I think) the doors lock. I know the Automatic lights turning on and off can be done as it works in my car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2001 has no auto mode at all. My switch has three settings:

1)Off
2)Parking Lights
3)On

I thought they could put a new switch from another 5 series that had auto lights. I want them on anytime the vehicle is running and off when it's not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 03 has 4 settings Auto mode, Off, Parking lights, Lights

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Lets be more specific in what we want here. I believe we want what Toyota has had available for 20 years, that being that when you leave ANY of the lights on, parking or headlights, that the lights either time out or that they just turn off when you turn the car off and open a door.

I am not sure if you new guys or for that matter some of us who have been here a while, realize that there is a feature on our cars called "follow me home". It works this way. If you turn the car off and turn the lights off, you can pull back on the high beams and the HID headlights will stay on for about a minute so you can see your way to your house door when it is dark and there are no outside lights on.

Because this feature already exsists, you would think it would be easy to incorporate the timed off for all the lights after a minute or so.

Any ideas here?

Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
MAH said:
Lets be more specific in what we want here. I believe we want what Toyota has had available for 20 years, that being that when you leave ANY of the lights on, parking or headlights, that the lights either time out or that they just turn off when you turn the car off and open a door.
Do you mean to say that if you park your car on the side of a busy street and want to leave the parking lights on until you return to your car that a Toyota would turn them off for you?

If so, that's a "feature" I don't want.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
mdernst said:
Do you mean to say that if you park your car on the side of a busy street and want to leave the parking lights on until you return to your car that a Toyota would turn them off for you?

If so, that's a "feature" I don't want.
You would want it if you ever forgot to turn them off all night. Besides, you can still turn the parking lights on with Toyota by simply turning the parking lights on after the car has turned them off. They will stay on after that point in time.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts