BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I suspect these are very similar to the Sachs Race Engineering clutch kit. I installed SRE kit in my m5 and it works great. You just have to have the stock Luk flywheel center lip machine down a few mm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are much better options at that price point.

Stick with stock LuK clutch, you don't need that crap.
Hey Shafro,

I have the Dinan fly wheel and clutch in my S2 M5 now and its beginning to slip in 5th and 6th gear (Installed at 35K by previous owner, now at 93K miles).

Do you think the stock LuK fly wheel and clutch would handle the extra HP (470HP)?? Both from Amazon is $600ish dollars. If I go with the high clamp clutch from Dinan I am at $2,100 just for the clutch. I am open to suggestions...I don't want a super stiff clutch though.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I picked mine up from ECS, was 2100 all in (flywheel / twin disc / pressure plate)

It's a great bit of kit. Will be tracking it on Monday at Thunderhill East.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advise, thanks Shafro.

I decided on a JedM5 machined lightweight DM flywheel and a stock LuK clutch kit. I don’t track my M5 so it’s the right prices set up for me.

I think the Dinan clutch and flywheel is way over priced for what it is IMHO.

Cheers guys,

P

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can stock Luk handle aggressive driving but not track? I never had a new one on my car thats why im asking. Its really cheap compared to aftermarket

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can stock Luk handle aggressive driving but not track? I never had a new one on my car thats why im asking. Its really cheap compared to aftermarket
I spoke to M5Jed who has a lot of credibility. He confirmed what Shafro stated. The stock clutch set up can handle naturally aspirated engines no problem. Track, aggressive driving etc will influence the life of your clutch but it will handle it.

M5Jed will machine the stock LuK flywheel so its 8lbs lighter. So I am going that route.

In my opinion, there is a lot of $$ spent on performance clutches unnecessarily. I am going to test my theory. :)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Isnt the Dinan cluch kit only a stock OEM disc and pressure plate with a lightened FlyWheel

·
Registered
632 Posts

I decided on a JedM5 machined lightweight DM flywheel and a stock LuK clutch kit. I don’t track my M5 so it’s the right prices set up for me.

Cheers guys,

P
As was said before the Sachs performance clutch is most likely the same as the Dinan $2100 kit. You can save a $1 by just getting the Dinan Lightended DMF and then purchase the Sachs performance clutch. Easy peasy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Isnt the Dinan cluch kit only a stock OEM disc and pressure plate with a lightened FlyWheel
I think this is true except they machine the DMF on the journal to accept their performance clutch which sounds like the Sachs performance clutch (or what you have to do to get the sachs performance clutch to work).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Cheers guys,

P
To follow up on all this clutch talk.

FYI...local indy shop installed my JEDM5 lightened flywheel (31.1lbs) and stock LUK clutch kit. Parts total $just over $1,600.00 (DMF) Luk Clutch Kit, Rear Main Seal, new trans mounts, etc. I have broken in the clutch for 250 miles, and now I am stomping on it and plan to get it dynoed. Clutch does not slip and I am happy.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
mopdahl
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing