BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Patrick_Arnold said:
I'm curious as to what is involved in installing headers on an M5. It looks like the Supersprint's have a coupler system of some sort allowing the primaries to be installed individually?? If this is the case, how does the coupler system work? Are there header coupler gaskets here as well as collector gaskets that must be replaced?

How about the other header manufacturers? I imagine nearly all require raising the engine or does it have to be removed?

I am here..

First of all for the frist time installed expect it to a 6-8 hour process....... just relax and focus on the soon to be experienced results and the tedious nature of the job will keep you smiling.

yes, the primaries are installed one at a time and then there is a 4 hole collar that aligns everything .... then you slip 4 donuts on and the ultimately the collector which is then secured in place with 4 springs. A simply wonderful system that once in place looks as nice as it works.........awesome.

The basic procedure looks like this.

Get settled in with some drinks of choice, misc hand tools, and more than anything else relax......... it is a bit awkward at times but very doable...... and worth all the effort.

Remove the OEM exhaust, then remove the right exhaust manifold...... then remove the 1 16mm nut from the drivers side motor mount ....and then raise this side of the engine an inch or so to gain access to slip the OEM manifold out and then to install the new primaries. Once the SuperSprint headers have been installed you will either need to continue with the remaining SuperSprint pieces to complete the exhaust.....(all slip fit) or if you elect to retain the OEM cats then you will need to have a single weld on each pipe to connect to the down pipe that will connect to the SuperSprint headers. a very straight forward process.

I hope this helps.

I will gladly answer any other questons you have.

Best regards,

Shadowman

·
10,450 Posts
is there a need to relocate or insulate the powersteering hoses? I remember a story of a board member who had an engine compartment fire because another company's headers were too close to his p/s hoses.
Mike

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
shadowman said:
...(all slip fit) or if you elect to retain the OEM cats then you will need to have a single weld on each pipe to connect to the down pipe that will connect to the SuperSprint headers...
Shadowman,

Your advice is always timely, accurate, and much appreciated and respected. Trouble is I don't care much for slip fits, especially with stainless. Maybe it's just me. Non-destructive removal can be nearly impossible, even after heating to near-meltdown temperatures with a torch. I had slip fit exhaust on my Vette, and everytime I pulled the engine, swapped diffs, pulled the tranny and/or torque converter, exhaust system removal would spoil all of the fun. Your reference to "some drinks of choice" is good advice!

Too bad the M5 headers don't have a bolt-up connection to the cats like the stock system has. I'm at the point where I want to buy SS headers, want to do the work myself, but I don't have a TIG or MIG welder. The only thing worse than that is if I actually HAD a TIG or MIG welder and USED IT on my M5 ouich

I just can't stand the thought of driving the car with open headers - with the ECU in limp-home mode - to the muffler shop to get it welded :sad2:
-Bill

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree elevens. One solution would be to weld on the bolt plates to the headers and cat. Or even better only to the header and ensure it matches with the stock cat bolt holes. This will keep you happy if you have to remove them again.

I have been wanting to by a welder for a long time. The only thing holding me back is that most of the time I want to weld aluminum and those set ups are very expensive and easy to screw up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Shadowman,

Your advice is always timely, accurate, and much appreciated and respected. Trouble is I don't care much for slip fits, especially with stainless. Maybe it's just me. Non-destructive removal can be nearly impossible, even after heating to near-meltdown temperatures with a torch. I had slip fit exhaust on my Vette, and everytime I pulled the engine, swapped diffs, pulled the tranny and/or torque converter, exhaust system removal would spoil all of the fun. Your reference to "some drinks of choice" is good advice!

Too bad the M5 headers don't have a bolt-up connection to the cats like the stock system has. I'm at the point where I want to buy SS headers, want to do the work myself, but I don't have a TIG or MIG welder. The only thing worse than that is if I actually HAD a TIG or MIG welder and USED IT on my M5 ouich

I just can't stand the thought of driving the car with open headers - with the ECU in limp-home mode - to the muffler shop to get it welded :sad2:
-Bill
I appreciate your concerns based on days gone past however this particular slip fit works...... I have removed the system more than once and on more than one vehicle and never a concern. No heat, no fuss, no muss...in fact the drink of choice was barely touched during the removal process.

Now to the idea of a direct bolt on flange........ because of the way tube exhaust has to extend to a point where everybody comes together it simply won't work. As for the concern with driving with open headers I completely understand....one option is to take a piece (2) of 2 1/2 flex and put it in place for the temporary drive. The car will travel the distance without any DME troubles......it may fight to self adapt a bit however you will never be aware if this and then it will relax once the process has been completed.....now assuming that this was done and the welding facility was able to do a satisfactory job of welding then the single weld on both sides would soon look as OEM and you would then have a fully serviceable system similar to OEM.

Far be it for me to encoruage this modification however this I can assure you.....once completed you will never regret it..... significant is an understatement when it comes to the way that the M5/Z8's respond to headers.

By the way, thank you for the wonderful comments.

Take care.

Shadowman

21 - 27 of 27 Posts