BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Thought I"d share my learnings on installing a Walbro 255 in an E39 (specifically a 540), YMMV...

Bought a GSS342 Walbro from Auto Performance Engineering (Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more), great company, very helpful... Long story short the 342 doesn't fit, the fuel pickup doesn't fit as it fits at a 90 degree to the inlet of the pump. The 540 inlet filter fits directly on the bottom of the pump.

The direct fit pump is a Walbro 255HP for GM applications (go figure...) part number F20000169, get the universal fuel pickup for it with the pump and an 8" supply hose and you're all set. Direct fit, no drama, no cutting, easy easy...
Hope this saves some of you some time...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ended up deciding to do the surgery necessary to install twin Bosch 044 pumps in my fuel tank. Not going to be easy!

--Peter
Will you share the install experience with us? The Bosch 044 is the same pump I'm using after my surge tank in my RX-7. The surge tank itself is fed by a Walbro 255.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You bet!

--Peter
resurrection... How'd the twin 044's go?

also been thinking a lot about adding a surgetank/swirlpot to the fuel system to prevent fuel starvation while at the track. too many war stories of "did you hear about so and so who blew up their SC engine on turn 2?"...

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
resurrection... How'd the twin 044's go?

also been thinking a lot about adding a surgetank/swirlpot to the fuel system to prevent fuel starvation while at the track. too many war stories of "did you hear about so and so who blew up their SC engine on turn 2?"...
Decided against putting the 044s in the tank and am instead using twin Aeromotive pumps in tank ala Raza feeding a surge tank with one 044. The surge tank I'm using is an Integrated Engineering model that submerges most of the 044 in the tank to cool and quiet it.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Hi All,

Thought I"d share my learnings on installing a Walbro 255 in an E39 (specifically a 540), YMMV...

Bought a GSS342 Walbro from Auto Performance Engineering (Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more), great company, very helpful... Long story short the 342 doesn't fit, the fuel pickup doesn't fit as it fits at a 90 degree to the inlet of the pump. The 540 inlet filter fits directly on the bottom of the pump.

The direct fit pump is a Walbro 255HP for GM applications (go figure...) part number F20000169, get the universal fuel pickup for it with the pump and an 8" supply hose and you're all set. Direct fit, no drama, no cutting, easy easy...
Hope this saves some of you some time...
I am 99% certain that I have a GSS342 in my car, but I also removed the stock center assembly completely; I can see why it might not work on a totally stock setup.

Decided against putting the 044s in the tank and am instead using twin Aeromotive pumps in tank ala Raza feeding a surge tank with one 044. The surge tank I'm using is an Integrated Engineering model that submerges most of the 044 in the tank to cool and quiet it.

--Peter
Why on earth would you use dual intake pumps AND a surge tank? Why would you need anything other than a stock fuel pump in the tank if you are using a surge tank? That is sort of the whole point of a surge tank ;)

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I am 99% certain that I have a GSS342 in my car, but I also removed the stock center assembly completely; I can see why it might not work on a totally stock setup.

Why on earth would you use dual intake pumps AND a surge tank? Why would you need anything other than a stock fuel pump in the tank if you are using a surge tank? That is sort of the whole point of a surge tank ;)
Only to fully scavenge the left saddle. The surge tank does solve the problem, but I do currently have circumstances in which my car seems incapable of fully scavenging the left side of the tank. And the stock pump sucks so badly that even though it will be operating against zero pressure with the surge tank, I'm not comfortable long term that it will keep the surge tank full. So going with a couple of well regarded aftermarket pumps is really very cheap insurance against failure based on lack of fueling. If can spend what, another $2-300 and help ensure against failure of a $25k engine, wouldn't it be penny-wise and pound-foolish not to do so? That's my thinking, Rob, and no it's not just that I want something "cool" in my car, as you seem to imply with all of your posts.

--Peter

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Are you sure that the fuse for your jet pump isn't blown? hiha

I understand. It makes sense to me to replace the in-tank pump if there are issues with it, but It might be better to solve the pickup problem than to toss the factory method of keeping the sides of the tank balanced. 4 fuel pumps is a little excessive...

Also, I am offended, that is not the purpose of ALL of my posts, just some of them ;) if it is a problem I will contain my remarks. :) Besides, I've seen you car in person and res ipsa loquitur.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Are you sure that the fuse for your jet pump isn't blown? hiha

I understand. It makes sense to me to replace the in-tank pump if there are issues with it, but It might be better to solve the pickup problem than to toss the factory method of keeping the sides of the tank balanced. 4 fuel pumps is a little excessive...

Also, I am offended, that is not the purpose of ALL of my posts, just some of them ;) if it is a problem I will contain my remarks. :)
LOL. You love to tweak Raza!

If I run two in-tank pumps, my surge tank will only have one 044. If I stick with one in tank (doubtful), that's when I would move to the two 044 surge tank setup. I've been messing with the damn siphon pump/pickup problem for over a year now and it's just driving me crazy. And it's a pretty common recurring problem with this setup, so I just have grown frustrated with it and am looking for an upgrade. That's the motivation. Running out of fuel with a supercharged engine really sucks and is NOT a good thing.

LOL. Ok, not ALL of them. hiha You couldn't contain your remarks if you tried! :D

--Peter

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

--Peter
Where is the surge tank going? Is it in the tank in place of the factory assembly, or somewhere else? I'm thinking walbro or stock pump in tank to a single aeromotive in the surge tank, just not sure where to put the surge tank in the system (where is the room?)

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Where is the surge tank going? Is it in the tank in place of the factory assembly, or somewhere else? I'm thinking walbro or stock pump in tank to a single aeromotive in the surge tank, just not sure where to put the surge tank in the system (where is the room?)
No, the surge tank is external, mounted in the trunk, probably on the wall of the back seat. Lines run from FPR to surge tank and from surge tank to stock fuel tank.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the surge tank is external, mounted in the trunk, probably on the wall of the back seat. Lines run from FPR to surge tank and from surge tank to stock fuel tank.

--Peter
I'm trying to find a more "out of the way" location for it as my seats fold down and when I'm off to the track, it's pretty full in there! Maybe I can put it where the battery was in my 540 (under the fuse array, back right...)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm trying to find a more "out of the way" location for it as my seats fold down and when I'm off to the track, it's pretty full in there! Maybe I can put it where the battery was in my 540 (under the fuse array, back right...)
Electrical relays and fuses right next to potential fuel vapors?? :nono: I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Well there are wires inside of the tank :)

You want a surge tank that can handle pressure. It is going to be full most of the time and you don't want it to leak.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True, but you say it with such gusto :grinyes: that's what I thought that the surge tank should be able to handle some pressure especially with fuel lines at 50+psi...

The back right trunk area might work, depends on if the radium FST needs to be upright or if it can be on it's side...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts