BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to member tacoma330ci I was able to get a walbro intank pump that pretty much drops into the stock pump module without cutting stuff up.

I initially went with a Bosch 044 pump installed externally but it was just too loud for me and I have a loud exhaust. I also was not up to the task of installing it inside the tank since its such a large pump and would require some work to fit. So I sold the 044 pump and went with the stock M5 pump. It has held well for me but have always been concerned since the pierburg rates it at 140 lph at 70 psi.

Finally this past week I got the pump tacoma recommended and just got around to installing it. So far so good.

walbro vs stock E39 pump. You can see the stock pump is much larger than the walbro which means it will require a sleeve.

the pump intakes are oriented in a similar manner

this is why the intake orientation matters. The walbro slides right into the opening at the bottom of the holder

Just before dropping into the tank

thats all for now

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Good call. I did mine with a hose clamp securing it to the inner frame. I am lookinng at going to dual pumps so I am going to have to get back in there and sort that out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Which Walbro 255 lph pump is that (there appear to be lots of them) - do you have a part or model #?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
They are allpretty much the same - the location and size of the inlet is different. Mine is a GS342.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Is it essentially this kit: LT1 F-body and B-body fuel pump kit - any downsides to using this pump as a stock replacement (which is $350!). I've heard of several Walbro failures on other forums so I always wonder about longevity of their pumps (but they are a huge pump maker). Is it "noisy" as compared to a stock pump?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Which Walbro 255 lph pump is that (there appear to be lots of them) - do you have a part or model #?
Its part number F20000169
It is quiet just like the one I removed. I cannot hear it while driving.
As far as the reliability, I have no doubt it will last. They are used as OEM parts in a lot of cars. I will be sure to update this thread if anything happens.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If you don't need the extra capacity the only reason to use it is the cost.

They are used in lots of cars as OEM, but there will always be people who have problems.

I can't hear mine at all and my exhaust is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call. I did mine with a hose clamp securing it to the inner frame. I am lookinng at going to dual pumps so I am going to have to get back in there and sort that out.
that will be quite a task but Im sure its doable. Have considered aeromotives new 340 pump?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I have looked at it, but I haven't decided. I might place a second one off to the side in the tank.

Right now I have a Walbro and a Boost a Pump and I am just hitting the limit at redline (the injectors as well). It is still safe, but there is not a lot of headroom.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am lookinng at going to dual pumps so I am going to have to get back in there and sort that out.
I too am going with duel fuel pumps. I learned the hard way on the track when experiencing fuel starvation on an uphill right hander. Lost cylinder 8 which cost me ~14k for used motor and labor. I may opt for the Walbro. My shop, NEM, is recommending I put a 540i fuel pump as it is basically the same pump and comes with the mounting gear. I am planning a week of 4/18 install and being at the Glen on 5/2 with my beast.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
In a previous life, I heard of quite a few Walbro's that were DOA. No issue with warranty, but if it's not doing what it should first off, check it's working properly out of the box.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reviving this thread from 8 years ago as I have a walbro 255 on the way to my house. Are the pictures in the original post of this thread working for anyone else, or are they dead links? They'd be really helpful to have as I can't find any installation tips elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Reviving this thread from 8 years ago as I have a walbro 255 on the way to my house. Are the pictures in the original post of this thread working for anyone else, or are they dead links? They'd be really helpful to have as I can't find any installation tips elsewhere.
I don't see pics either but it's very similar to doing a replacement stock pump (where they are only replacing the pump). Maybe search some other pump threads? Basically you need to cut and splice the connector and use a hose clamp to secure the pump to the side of the housing as the diameter of the pump itself is smaller. I got 130k miles from my first Walbro, so replace with confidence!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts