BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned in my 08 550i sport package (lease end) and am trying to figure out how to bridge the time from now until the F10 becomes available. I had a 08 M5 with a SMG which drove me nuts given its unpredictability so after 6 months and 6000 miles of around town driving I traded for the 550i. Now I need to fill the gap and thought 2011 550i but it seemed huge, too much luxury and numb driving experience. Then I drove a 2011 M3 SMG, probably put 50 miles on a used 2011, seemed a little better that the 08 SMG experience. I think my options are go with the M3 or get a 2010 M5 SMG as there are some still on dealer lots. My question is if there is a difference between the early 08 M5 (bought 6/07) that I had vs a new 2010? Is the 2011 M3 SMG the same unit as in the 2010 M5? Any other options? Driving a 6 sp is not possible for a daily driver (knee issue). I would hate to move to AMG cars, I have had 7 5 series BMW's and do feel comfortable with the brand. Any other thoughts on how to fill the time gap? TIA

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
SMG is E60 M5 = 1 clutch = sequential manual gearbox
DCT is E9x M3 = 2 clutches = dual clutch transmission

Very different driving experiences...with 2 cluthes (one for even gears and one for odd gears) the shifts can happen so fast that they is no appreciable shift times...

However, as someone who has daily driven an E60 M5 for 33,000 miles over 2.5 years....I could not be happier :cheers:

However...having driven a loaner X6 3.5....I would personally consider an X6M

·
Registered
165 Posts
The M3 is actually not SMG (Single clutch) it has a dual clutch transmission(much smoother). Good Luck with your search for a new ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts