BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a question of AWD vs. RWD. I need AWD for my daily driver, and I was psyched when I heard the rumors that the M5 would be available in AWD. Put down a deposit and got top position on my dealer's waiting list.

Then the specs come out, and at least initially, only RWD. Searching and searching revealed no new info, so I'm not sure if anyone will know, but is there still a plan for an AWD M5??

How close would a 550ix w/ sport pkg (maybe also w/ Dinan tune) be to the M5 AWD (if it existed)? From a mechanical standpoint I would really miss the DCT from the M5. Also the M5 handling must be better than the 550 M sport pkg, correct?

Is it worth waiting for a vehicle that may never be produced?

·
Registered
687 Posts
They're isn't going to be an M5 AWD. I What I do is throw a set of skinny snow tires on there in the winter if that's not enough, look at a set of chains.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hard to believe they will produce an AWD M5...

Although I never thought I would see an M truck... :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
If AWD is that important, just get an X5M. It handles better than most sports cars and its only got 5hp less than the M5. Sure its heavier, but it has AWD. It won't be faster, but it is still beastly.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree with the others, if you must have AWD then I think your choices are either X5M or X6M or perhaps an xDrive Alpina B7- I realize that last one is quite pricy. The 550 will be a good car but it won't be special in the way the M or Alpina are. In any event, if you really want to drive in the snow, with any of these, you will want real snow tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts