BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there running this setup on an otherwise stock motor? I have the white injectors. ESS said the tune would adapt and I shouldn't need to do any other modifications. I couldn't find much on the 560. Most guys referenced the 550 with the 92MM.

Thanks,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is mainly software and injectors but I am sure someone with the 550 could better comment.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Can’t believe this topic came up again. :)

Difference
Injectors and tune to compensate. Everything else is the same.

Quite a few people experiences fuel cut off issues with the 550 kit, including myself. V1 injectors were being maxed out on duty cycles.

Some V1 owners and even V2, went a step further with larger injectors and bigger fuel pumps, BAP, I Had them all and later removed BAP and got even bigger fuel pump. Solid ever since.

The difference between the 96mm and the 92mm pulley set up is ~1-2 psi depending on the altitude where you leave, which interprets to ~20-40 crank hp. If I recall this took you from 5.5psi to 6.5 or 6.5 to 7.5. Don’t quote me on this. This gets better. So now that you are running more pressure in the block you need to make sure you have the proper octane, tune, and cooling. Here is where methanol injection, headers, and more comes into the conversation. I am gonna stop here for now.

Of course all of this required a unique custom tune, which is a Subject of discussion on its own.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks. Silent is pretty much spot on. Without adding additional cooling - the gains would likely be negligible if not negative due to heat soak. Even with stock pulley my car heat soaks pretty easily after a few spirited acceleration runs.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Would also like to add in case FMIC and electric fans gets dragged into this conversation. Front mount inter cooler works; however not here in my experience In SoCal. I opted for methanol 80/20 mix while keeping my mechanical fan. But I am running a CSF 3 core aluminum radiator and dual core oil cooler with heat exchange delete and vented hood. Not a big fan of the vented hood but it helps with cooling and is the only reason I got one. Car is running at 10psi max boost.

I am also running Jed’s headers that help with getting those hot gases out.

I would love to add Dinan TB’s but based on what people want for them I can’t justify it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Silent, you mentioned a custom tune. Is that your experience with the 550? ESS said the tune on the 560 should adapt with 93 octane which is readily available.

I am in NH so my heat issues seem to be under control for most of the year. What fuel pump do you run? Meth is a consideration but I am going to make that call once i have it properly sealed and dyno'ed.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
What I mean by custom tune is. Dyno tune. The tune from ESS is a cookie cutter tune. We don’t have 93 at the pump here in SoCal. So that time is not optimal for everyone. I have the Walboro 400, the 440 works as well, but it’s a very tight fit.

My car is tuned with meth and if for some odd reason runs out of meth (never happened to this day) I turn off the system and don’t get on it until refill. You can definitely run it without a tune but fuel trim levels with be off and may feel like the car is running rich which would be normal since meth cools the intake temps and increases octane level, but again it depends how much meth etc...

Aquamist has a chart that matches jets sizes to injector sizes.

There is a guy on the board who got his set up to work with e85. If thats available near you, might be even a better solution.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good. Thanks for the help. Sounds like the second order of business after sealing up my leaks is to get her on a dyno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts