BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm sure things similar have been posted about this but i'll post this again for us new to the M5Board. Ok, ESS tuning says up to a 150 horsepower increase is possible, first of all is this possible? Second of all, i'm 16 and although that seems young i've been working on my dads cars and racing since i was 14 but 10,000 is still 10,000 so i just want everyones opinion on the supercharger and if its a good idea or not and how reliable is it?
-Mike

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Is it a good idea? Do you want an M5 with 400hp or one with 550hp? You need to answer that question. I've been daily driving mine for 1 year exactly with no problems whatsoever. I'd probably be dead if I had this car at 16.

Reactions: Beasty5

·
Registered
352 Posts
ESS is the best bang for the buck out there. Do you own an M5 yet? At 16, I would say 400 hp is plenty enough for a while.

·
Registered
782 Posts
AWESOME!!! Another thread about a kid that's 16 and drives a M5. :Thumbdown: Im glad you work on your dads car, But that in no way makes you a better driver. And what track is allowing you to race with out a license. Or even do a HPDE event. Any in California require you to be at least 18 before even riding? Once again how any of this makes you any less impulsive at 16, I do not know.

If i was your father, not only would I say no to a supercharger, But I sure as all hell would not of bought you a M5(I know he bought it because you can not enter a legal contract until your 18).

Just my .02

Good luck

Cheers,
Rhino

Reactions: mister2d

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i do own an M5, and it is not wrapped around a tree yet. I do want more performance out of my car and 550 horsepower is always better then 400 i guess i was more wondering about reliability and daily driving so thank you for that, and I promise there will not be one less e39 m5 on the road because of me i do not drive like a typical 16 year old i prefer to keep it on the track because i know i wouldn't have a car if i got caught speeding even once.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok, i do own an M5, and it is not wrapped around a tree yet. I do want more performance out of my car and 550 horsepower is always better then 400 i guess i was more wondering about reliability and daily driving so thank you for that, and I promise there will not be one less e39 m5 on the road because of me i do not drive like a typical 16 year old i prefer to keep it on the track because i know i wouldn't have a car if i got caught speeding even once.
What tracks do you run at?

Why do you need more preformance if you are driving safe on the street? And don't say its for the track, Because anyone here who is a track junky knows that m5 dosent need more power it needs more stick (tire and suspension).

Once again, If you don't speed, Why do you need a M5, I would rather you be honest and admit you speed then feed grown *** men lies.

Once again, Just my .02

Not trying to be harsh, But someone should be looking out for you if your father isn't.

Cheers,
Rhino

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i did not mean all of that to show i was a better driver i just have more experience with driving then the average 16 year old and a legal guardian can sign a waiver at most drag strips, and i have an actual license now and ive never been told i had to be 18 maybe that's a california thing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ok i did not mean all of that to show i was a better driver i just have more experience with driving then the average 16 year old and a legal guardian can sign a waiver at most drag strips, and i have an actual license now and ive never been told i had to be 18 maybe that's a california thing.
HAHAHA:rofl:

Sorry for a second, I thought you meant a real track, You know with curves...

You have no more experience then kid drag racing on the street, Your just doing it in a safer environment.

Its this simple, No matter what anyone says, You're..... Your father is going to buy one for his(your) car. Everyone on this board will tell you that its not a good idea, But know how 16 year old kids think, you will do it anyway. So I am not going to waste my time arguing.

Good luck, Please don't kill yourself, or better yet anyone else.

Cheers
Rhino

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for that then I'm sorry that i drive an M5 and I'm 16 the least i can say is the fact that I'm 16 does not affect my driving i have fun with my car but my point is i'm not stupid with it i understand what you are saying and i know you are wiser then me and my dad did not pay for my car and he will not pay for my supercharger i have a job and have worked for my car.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
It's not just 10 grand. You gotta install it, too.

And, quite honestly, for 10 grand (or a bit more), you can get a dedicated track car that will be much more exciting (if not better ans faster) than your E39 M5.

E36 M3s come to mind, for instance.

·
Registered
782 Posts
He drag races....

It's not just 10 grand. You gotta install it, too.

And, quite honestly, for 10 grand (or a bit more), you can get a dedicated track car that will be much more exciting (if not better ans faster) than your E39 M5.

E36 M3s come to mind, for instance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to start racing on a track, thank you my dad drag races so its the only thing i've had a chance to do, and thank you i'll look into that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please, Please i know the only reason i do this is because of my dad and i plan on stopping soon and going to autocross in Englishtown, New Jersey

·
Registered
782 Posts
Please, Please i know the only reason i do this is because of my dad and i plan on stopping soon and going to autocross in Englishtown, New Jersey

Keep it coming. HAHAHA :rotf:

Just a FYI from a autoX veteran, More power wont help, As it is the E39 M5 takes great skill to autoX.

Reactions: JCM55555

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
If autocross is your goal, then you can definitely get entire cars that are very nice for that. Again, E36 M3s, Miatas, S2000s, E30s, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I work as a mechanic/mechanics help at my grandpas ford dealership and i know it takes a lot of skill and although you might be an autoX veteran and you are older then me and wiser but please i promise you if there's one thing i know how to do and am good at it is driving no matter how much experience i have and I'm going to look into those cars.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts