BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the Vorsteiner trunk but now the GPS is consistantly WAY off and SAT does not work...unless (in both the GPS and SAT case) the trunk is openned...almost like the trunk is blocking the signal to the GPS in the trunk. Local dealer (Crevier BMW) has tried everything and states the problem is caused by the trunk! I want to know if anyone can help!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Since antennas for these functions are mounted to the underside of the truck lid, it is very likely they were improperly installed when transferred to the carbon trunk lid. My guess is they were mounted upside down, causing the receiver to face toward the ground when the trunk is closed resulting in a nule signal.
This would fall in line with your symptoms, as once the trunk is opened there is enough of an angle for them to acquire a signal.

I would check the orientation of the antennas to assure they are properly mounted.

-Audio

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since antennas for these functions are mounted to the underside of the truck lid, it is very likely they were improperly installed when transferred to the carbon trunk lid. My guess is they were mounted upside down, causing the receiver to face toward the ground when the trunk is closed resulting in a nule signal.
This would fall in line with your symptoms, as once the trunk is opened there is enough of an angle for them to acquire a signal.

I would check the orientation of the antennas to assure they are properly mounted.

-Audio
I thought about that and as such I took the two modules and flipped them with the metal-side up and reinstalled them but at no avail! I have not swapped them back and forth, putting left on the right and vice-versa. Anyone know more about which module is which an dthe oriegntation of each, I could really use that!? Any other info would be helpful as well!

·
Registered
547 Posts
My sat radio stopped working after the bootlid was instaled

·
Registered
239 Posts
oh man... that's not good :eek:oohhh:

quote=Powerbeast;1313088]My sat radio stopped working after the bootlid was instaled[/quote]

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know, I want to take it to the dealer but I know there gonna say you changed your trunk out.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
this is what is preventing me from getting the bootlid although i love it

·
Compamy Representative for 503 Motoring
66 Posts
Don't worry guys I had the same problem and it is because of the carbon fiber The signals can only partially pass through and it causes distortion. I moved my units underneath the rear package tray, there is plenty of room under there and it works perfect. All you have to do is split the wire loom in-the trunk and run them into the package tray. Took my stereo guy about 1 hour to do the conversion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is what is preventing me from getting the bootlid although i love it
you can get the Vorsteiner trunk that will leave you with FULL GPS receptions and similar SAT performance. This my 3rd M6 and in all three I have had SAT. The 1st two had no modifications and in those two (2) I have only 90% SAT coverage! Having studied the SAT antenna location on our M6s I can tell you that even the OEM set up make it marginally hence with even small variation between OEM trunks the receptions could be different (hence some of us have troubles some don't...with OEM SAT).

·
66 Posts
I know of what you speak...frustrating isn't it> But my sat performance actually improved when i put it under the package tray due to the Vorsteiner trunk. I wouldn't say a ton but at least 95% now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know of what you speak...frustrating isn't it> But my sat performance actually improved when i put it under the package tray due to the Vorsteiner trunk. I wouldn't say a ton but at least 95% now.
what are you referring by "package tray"?

·
66 Posts
Just behind the rear seat is the package tray, it holds the rear speakers and is covered in Alcantra. you have to remove the rear seat to get at it but then you just lift it a bit and slide the modules in there all the way to the back. you can re route the wires loom through the inside of the trunk ceiling in to the package tray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts