BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any logical answer to this question...here goes

My Euro slide/tilt armrest (OEM) triggers the voice command module every time it is disturbed in some fashion. It is triggered every time I close the armrest, sometimes when I slide the armrest, and scoiometimes when someone rests there arm on it. Once disturbed, VOICE COMMAND (if i remember correctly) is displayed on the cluster, and the voice command module beeps and after a while says 'Say a Command'

I cannot figure out what is triggering this to go off. I disconnected (cut) the only wire I saw running to the armrest and that was the wire that runs up to the phone button at the front of the armrest (in front of the phone tray). Any ideas what may be causing this to happen? Are there any fuses that could disable this?

The whole system seems kinda funny. I also have bluetooth (installed by a previous owner). It appears to be the oem option. The bluetooth randomly comes on and says 'pairing' Does anyone know where I can figure out how to use the OEM bluetooth module?

Appreciate any help

·
Registered
69 Posts
The phone pairing button when held pressed for a few seconds will cause voice command mode to be entered.
I would carefully check the wires from this button looking for signs of chaffing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The phone pairing button when held pressed for a few seconds will cause voice command mode to be entered.
I would carefully check the wires from this button looking for signs of chaffing.
That is what I thought at first, but i cut that wire. I thought maybe it was shorting somewhere downstream and this was causing the voice command to trigger, but why would it only trigger when the armrest is moved...and especially why when the wire is cut?

EDIT: Sorry are you referring to the bluetooth problem or the armrest problem? If so, which is the phone pairing button?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump. Come on electronics guys. There has to be some sort of answer here. It is driving me nuts and i really want to figure out the issue before I send my armrest off to Slimm to get it updated.

thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Most switches and buttons work with reference to ground. Chances are good that the wire you cut is close to or just making contact with some metal in the center console, and you moving the armrest moves it ever so slightly enough to create contact. I'd suggest removing the armrest, and observing the orientation of the wires, and finally cap off, or at least electrical tape the exposed end of any wires you cut, or unplugged.

Best of luck.

-Audio

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There is absolutely no need to cut the wire to the phone connections, they all have quite easily accessible plugs.

The phone pairing/voice command button uses the iBus to send commands, if you've cut this and it's shorting somewhere your entire car electronics system will go nuts.

Trace that cut wire and remove it in the proper way, then see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"cut the wire"????

I'm outta here.... I'll help fix, but not hack.
I didn't just cut the wire to cut the wire. I figured the button on the armrest completes the circuit when the button is depressed. It doesn't have a dedicated ground, so I decided to cut the wire.

I plan on replacing my armrest soon and i wanted to figure out if this was the wire that caused my random triggering. I cut it, capped it, as a quick troubleshoot knowing that I could easily connect it back together.

I plan on tracing the wire when it comes time to remove the armrest. Cutting the wire did nothing, as the system behaves the exact same way, so the problem is obviously somewhere else. This is what I was aiming to find, without tearing my car apart. I still can't figure out why some short further upstream would be accentuated by the armrest actuation.

Is there any way...say pull a fuse...to disable the phone system on the car?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Its a philosophical thing with me....I never cut, splice nor tap wires. I will source connectors- or pins within a connector- and disassemble a harness to get at individual wires. I even have the factory cloth wrap to rebind bundles...

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
Is there any way...say pull a fuse...to disable the phone system on the car?
Isn't the bluetooth module in the left rear, with the Nav drive and radio?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the same issue here.

Voice recognition is triggered by itself. It happens quite often without any pressure on the steering wheel voice command button.

I don't use it, can I completely disable it in any way? Maybe code it out with BMW scanner if possible?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I got the same issue here.

Voice recognition is triggered by itself. It happens quite often without any pressure on the steering wheel voice command button.

I don't use it, can I completely disable it in any way? Maybe code it out with BMW scanner if possible?
Yank the module if you want, though if you do and use the ULF module you'll need a jumper plug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts