BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me with a couple of questions.... my dealership told me as well that the cordess bmw phone was not available anymore.... and that bluetooth was the only available phone option....

How does the bluetooth phone management work with the voice activation? I never had a BMW bluetooh system... on my X5 I have the cordless bmw phone and voice activation, and the system works very well.... does the bluetooth system work the same... most importantly, can I dial numbers and saved/stored contacts through voice activation??

Should my dealership have asked me the bt phone model I wanted??? from what I understand there's a docking station for the phone in the armrest, which obviouly has to be custom for a spceific phone make/model....

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Andrea said:
Can someone please help me with a couple of questions.... my dealership told me as well that the cordess bmw phone was not available anymore.... and that bluetooth was the only available phone option....

How does the bluetooth phone management work with the voice activation? I never had a BMW bluetooh system... on my X5 I have the cordless bmw phone and voice activation, and the system works very well.... does the bluetooth system work the same... most importantly, can I dial numbers and saved/stored contacts through voice activation??

Should my dealership have asked me the bt phone model I wanted??? from what I understand there's a docking station for the phone in the armrest, which obviouly has to be custom for a spceific phone make/model....

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks....
Andrea the BT system comes without a phone and you have to specify the craddle you require from the dealer, extra cost dealer fit option.

The site BMW Bluetooth has a list of phones and the level of intergration offered. If the phone you have/want has automatic phone book transfer you can use it from the extenede voice control function. Sync the phone then alocate the vioce name for the number and then you can call it totally through vioce.

It seems the quite a few members have recommended the Seimens S65 if you need a phone to use with the car. Ther is a thread that has cover some of the issues and thougth about the system here Ashok's Phone :)

I was playing with the voice system last week and it has been greatly improved:) well anything would be an improvment on the previous system in the E39 M5. The controls available through voice now remove some of the issues people have with iDrive IMO. It saves the menu drilling to get to options.

Hope this is helpfull to you...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely helpful!!! Thanks a lot... just hope they'll (BMW) start supporting some newer phones... I'm a bit of a gadget freak and these phones are SOOOOO outdated compared to what's available today.....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I totally agree about the outdated phones listed.

Any of the newer phones that use the same phone book transfer interface as an earlier model listed as complient, should fiully intergrate with the car system, fingers crosed:). Also when you order the BT for the car there are 2 options one with telematics, both the same price, but the one with telematics includes BMW Assist. There is also a 6 month subscription included, I like this option as IMO it could be a real life saver as it will automatically contact a BMW emergancy centre with the cars exact location should you be in an accident.

My main concern about the system is I have to get a phone that I can have the armrest caddy for, as I travel through some very poor reception areas. So as I have to plug the phone in to take advantage of the boosted aireal why cant it use the physical contacts not bluetooth??? It will also mean I'll have to give up my SPV C500 Smartphone for a more conventional phone and I'm sure none of those will give me almost .5gb of storage for email documents and more importantly episodes of The Simpsons...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts